News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Need a new windscreen made, any ideas?

Started by longtimecoming, 09, November, 2015, 12:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longtimecoming

I need a new windscreen making for my 7 car. It is completely flat section, but needs to be marked for road use. Any one out there any idea where I can get one cut?
Also well done to Colin and Co for the display at Shepton Show and getting a 2nd in Show for the stand.

benchmark51

I got mine cut at Roman glass in Kingswood. Did it while I waited for £25 inc.
Need to take a template or probably your old screen if intact.

I might add this is proper legal glass and ok for Mot, but not for IVA test

Address: 322 Two Mile Hill Rd, Bristol BS15 1AJ
Phone:0117 960 7017

'The Gaffer'

How about an aero-screen? much less drag than a windscreen and no side buffeting.

Gary RH7

I have a Robin Hood one you can have. I got a larger one made by The Great British Sports Car Company to my template but it wasn't cheap.

If you want some pictures I can do them tonight and PM them to you.

Brandy Barrel

Your right no side winds, not that you'd notice anyway as your getting blasted so much in the face. Should be called a hairoscreen cos its blown a lot of mine away.
Good for sunny weather and looks, but once it gets bad it's niot for me.

Facial Hair Optional

Colin/Moleman got a new screen recently didnt he? I'm sure he picked it up on the day of the TVR meeting that we attended recently. I like The Gaffer's idea though, aeroscreens are great. I tried a few full screen 7s and aero screen 7's b4 I got my Tiger and tbh I found more buffeting and 'air forced up your nose' with the full screen cars!! In one of them I was struggling to breathe! I found out how a dog feels when he sticks his head out of the car window!!!

Moleman

I recently changed my windscreen but I just got it from Westfield which wasn't cheap but on the plus side it was a case of bolt on & bolt off & the roof fixings are the same so I didn't have to alter that either. Plus it's a heated screen which does make life easy when the roof is on.

Iancider

I believe the 7-like glass is a standard used by all suppliers of the genre.  I know it is made by Pilkingtons but I would reckon that the GBS screen is the same as a Westfield probably - worth phoning around.  And yes for the IVA you will require that important E mark.

Ian

paintman

Roman Glass in Frome said they would cut one to my template while I wait.....£20+, toughn'd glass.

SPAXIMUS

Unless the MOT has changed since I last did them, but there was no need for any marks to pass the MOT, so long as it is glass not lexan.

If it is for IVA then it has to be properly marked and Pilkington will supply that all marked up. Even Autowindscreens will supply flat glass and fit it in a frame

sanzomat

Quote from: paintman on 10, November, 2015, 12:02:39 AM
Roman Glass in Frome said they would cut one to my template while I wait.....£20+, toughn'd glass.

You sure that's toughened glass? I always thought you can't cut toughened 'cos it has been heated and cooled such that there is surface tension so if you tried to cut it it would shatter into a billion little pieces. Maybe they cut it from plain/annealed glass and then toughen it after?

More likely its laminated as I thought all windscreens have to be laminated these days? Might have got that wrong though.

paintman

Think your right on second thoughts, it was laminated....... which is better anyway. ::)

benchmark51

Yes they are. When they cut them they heat the cut  with a blowlamp to soften the plastic in the centre

Bulldog Bri

When they cut mine, they poured a liquid on the cut lit it and let it burn off on both sides. Then carefully flexed the glass til it cracked along the line.

8)

paintman

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 09, November, 2015, 08:22:56 PM
Colin/Moleman got a new screen recently didnt he? I'm sure he picked it up on the day of the TVR meeting that we attended recently. I like The Gaffer's idea though, aeroscreens are great. I tried a few full screen 7s and aero screen 7's b4 I got my Tiger and tbh I found more buffeting and 'air forced up your nose' with the full screen cars!! In one of them I was struggling to breathe! I found out how a dog feels when he sticks his head out of the car window!!!

A full screen is better I think in a "7" but only with side screens fitted, else it gets a bit blustery to say the least at
"excessive" speeds and if like my daughter you have long hair you won't see a thing and get pounded to hell with it!!

Unless your Dixie who doesn't have a problem with the wind....Lol....... ;D ;D   Sorry Mark, just getting you back for
introducing me as your Dad!!

Gary RH7

When I got a larger windscreen so I could look through it rather than over it the buffeting got considerably worse. Hence my large side screens. They might look a bit big and out of place but as I have said before at 90 my cap stays on.

longtimecoming

Thanks Paintman,
I no don't have problem with my hair. I do still have some but it's a bit scarce and getting more scarce by the day.