News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Kit car identification required

Started by andrew001, 23, October, 2015, 09:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew001

Hey guys,
Absolutely new here!
As funny (or silly) as it sounds, I bought myself a first kit car winter project on car auction yesterday, but seem to be struggling to identify the actual make of the kit car. The listing says Custom / Custom which doesn't help a lot.
http://www.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/34174445?searchId=1054222757
Clicking on the VIN number it comes up as goodall, but after googling this , it's not much of a help as looks like this name doesn't really exist in kit car world.

Any help / advise would be much appreciated as looks like I will need some suspension parts and few other bits.

benchmark51

Hello and welcome. Your car looks pretty much like a 'book made' one to me, and the 'Goodall' part could be the name of the builder. What does it say on the V5?
All these cars vary a bit because they are subject to the individual builders preferences. It does look quite neat and tidy so if the price was right it looks like you have done well. Where are you based?

andrew001

Hi benchmark51,

Thank you so much for your reply!
Yes, looks pretty tidy to me too..
Haven't picked up the car yet, but was hoping somebody could direct me to the right direction for some parts, etc before I see the car on Tuesday.

Spent a day reading most of the threads here and made a list of few good guys who will be able to help me I guess.

As it's cat C, it will be a while until I see the V5.. Once I get the number plate, I will go trough the HPI check, maybe this will give me some more info..

I'm based in Northants, but will travel wherever to get this sorted :)

benchmark51

Ok, when you get the car you'll need to find out what was used as a donor and identify the parts used. It looks as though it is sierra based so pretty standard. Doesn't look to badly damaged though. You are well placed for Stoneleigh next year too. Anything you want to know, you will find someone on here that knows the answer, parts are often sourced through ebay and other members bits and pieces. So whatever your after, worth asking on the forum first.

Moleman

All the best with your project, Keep us posted how you get on when you get it.  :)

Bulldog Bri

Hiya and welcome.

Good luck with the repairs and getting it back on the road. As Dave said, your not far from Stoneleigh so come over and make yourself known. We always have a good turn out on the Sunday of the show :P

8)

Iancider

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to our friendly club.  This does look like a pattern-build custom so it is likely unique.  However they tend to built from then widely available parts.  It looks rather Sierra based and I would not be surprised if it is largely a Robin Hood  with mods.  (Robin Hood went bust a some years back but the successor is Great British Sportscars GBS).

It wouldn't take long to match part in this club because there is such a variety of cars out there to measure up.  Keep posting and the answers will follow.  Good luck with it.

Ian

'Mendip Wurzel'

As previously mentioned there could be some Robin Hood bits on the car.... I am fairly sure the front suspension with the curved upper struts is not Robin Hood construction, so maybe pointing towards a Locost type chassis. I would guess the 2100 cc engine is a bored out Ford Pinto unit 

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 24, October, 2015, 02:38:24 PM
I would guess the 2100 cc engine is a bored out Ford Pinto unit

Almost certainly

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 24, October, 2015, 05:32:10 PM
Quote from: 'Mendip Wurzel' on 24, October, 2015, 02:38:24 PM
I would guess the 2100 cc engine is a bored out Ford Pinto unit

Almost certainly

I think they bore them To 93mm and use 2.8 V6 pistons

CC Cyclone

Looks potentially like it may be MK based on the front end, but most of the bits swap over from the 'book' based cars.

Have you tried www.locostbuilders.co.uk you might even find the previous owner on there.

Brandy Barrel

Welcome Andrew, nice looking car. Just out of interest what did you pick it up for?

peterw

Daley Down Under

I think MK is a good call, although I don't remember MK using individual roll-over hoops.

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club. Keep us posted on your mysterious car progress 8)

andrew001

Hey guys,

thank you so much for all the answers.. !! Just got back from a little holidays and saw the car today.. All looks pretty good, will be going to the scrap yard to find a similar radiator with the fan.. 

Really struggling with the nose cone as thea measurments does not seem to be matching of other models.. but not sure how they measure it.. If somebody could advise, that would be great..

Found some on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-car-lights-arches-and-nose-cone-/141810874936?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kit-car-lights-arches-and-nose-cone-/141810874936?hash=item2104963a38:g:15IAAOSwT5tWGMnt

Do you think any of those could be good?

Will send some pics later tonight!

Paid £2200.

'The Gaffer'

Have you thought about getting your damaged cone repaired? If it's unique to the car you will probably have to fettle a replacement anyway.

benchmark51

Good idea to make a list of parts needed. Check your wheel size and get arches that fit, you may or may not want to use wheels you have or change your wheels. Bonnet looks to have survived ok, so you have a width and height measurement there. Once you have removed the broken bits, you need to check/repair the chassis. This is the most important part of the job really so lots of measuring to do!

andrew001

Thanks again for being so welcoming.. Your support is much appreciated !

Went to scrap yard and found MK3 VW golf radiator today which should do the job as the measurements were the same (Even the connections which weirdly were on the same passenger's side).
Will just need a tiny fan, but looks like they are not expensive brand new.

Few pics !

Moleman

Well looks like things are looking up then. Keep us posted.  :)

Camber Dave

I don't think anyone has positively identified your car so we can assume that it is either a Locost derived from the Ron champion book "Build your own sports" car or the later Haynes roadster from the (Haynes published) book by Chris Gibbs and Martin Keynan (MK Engineering).

The base of the scuttle (at the back of the engine compartment where the bonnet starts) on the Locost is 963mm wide whereas the Haynes is 1006mm. The bonnet tapers from this dimension.

Neither book gives dimensions for the nose cone and builders either make their own or adapt (damaged) Westield or Caterham originals or make their own and make the alloy bonnet to fill the gap.

The Nose cone on the Haynes is about 700mm wide at the Bonnet front and the locost one whould be about 40mm narrower

The Charity car is based on the Haynes so you can look at our chassis at the restoration show next weekend

If it is the Haynes version, Can we have your old bits for our project. It will help us to visualize our work before we get our new bodywork.

andrew001

Hi Camber Dave,

Thanks very much for the info.. I will look into the measurments you gave.. I'm leaning towards the haynes roadster, but will see.

I'm also looking into the option to repair the damaged one as all the bits are there..