News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Lamborghini Murcielago/MR2

Started by Peggyontherun, 03, September, 2011, 06:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asn

hi peggy love the work i have been waiting for ur updates every day how much did you buy this kit for off the guy. Also do you reckon you could make a mould of the kit once its all filled in an correct as i would buy a copy hoping its cheaper than the others on the internet also if this kit is extremes why is there so much filling in i thought the kit already would be right  as its been taken off a real lam any how keep up the good work its amazing

Peggyontherun

@ yellabelly - yip my arms are like pop i the cartoon caracter  ;D i love every minute of it hard labour

@ asn - Cheers there was alot of work gone into this car as for what i paid the guy for the kit i got the mr2 car, the kit (was missing parts ) wheels, koni suspension, i paid in euro 5,500 for the hole lot.

I paid extreme £2,500 for the metal frame and few other bits and pieces.

As for me making a mould i dont think sorry it would just cost too much to do and besides the murci kit from extreme has come way down in price.

My kit was well i taught and was told by the person i bought it off that it was an extreme kit but i done a bit of research and was told it was a rip off kit some chap in the UK re-moulded all the parts of the extreme kit.

The reason why i have used alot of filler was my car had no engine move as aposed to the extreme engine move so i had to alter my wheel archs a bit of extra work which i didnt mind my car was lengthened professionally in the UK by 2 foot so it now the correct length of a real Murcielago.

YellaBelly

There is one word for this.....
....DEDICATION!!!! :D

You're an inspiration to kit car builders chap, keep it up ;) :)

Peggyontherun

@ yellabelly - cheers lad for the kind words its a hobby well a day job as i spend every minute i have out there at the lambo replica there is not enough hours in the day  :)

Peggyontherun

Ok was thinking about this over the weekend and here it goes fillering the rear wing as i want this wing as smooth as possible and i know some of you's will be saying there will be weight added but there is not that mush weight added as the wing weighted next to nothing as its made from Aluminum. Only got 4 hours out at the Lambo today but better than nothing.

You can see the ripples that from the section with the lip on them spray can used to see the low spots

Taking shape a bit

Getting flat now a few low spots but nothing that cant be sorted out all sanded by hand

The wing turned around see the curve on the wing looks a bit weird in the picture roll on tomorrow

Peggyontherun

Wing skimmed again and painted black to see the low spots

All sanded by hand

Low spots re-fillered

Its getting there only a few small bit left to re-filler nothing big my arms are a bit tired so home for a good rest

My boxer tyson waiting for me as usual to feed him when i get home

Here he is 2 weeks old

Peggyontherun

Side gap all filled with foam

Bit of a low spot re-fillered

All sanded and back on the car

Still a bit to go

Under side getting a skim

Peggyontherun

Re-fillered to get all the lines flat as possible

Black sprayed to see if any low spots

Block sanded by hand

The whole wing fillered and then sprayed black for low spots

Sanded down

Wing back on to see how it looked still a good bit to go but getting there

Back to the bench for more low spots to be fixed

All the low spots re-fillered and sprayed black and left over night cause my owl arm are a bit tired :-)

bluehornetrider

Hi, why don't you try using guide coat to check for low spots, I find it quick and easy to use.  Also do you have an infra red lamp to bake the filler/ stopper off or are you just waiting 30/ 40 mins between coats?

Looks great by the way.

Peggyontherun

@ bluehornetrider - Just find it easy to use the black spray as the black stays in the low spots no infra red lamp i just wait 30 minutes for it to dry and i give my friend a hand on his corvette while im waiting cheers for the info keep it coming.

Sanding the wing to get it as flat as possible

Getting flat now all sanded by hand

Getting there

Had to give a helping hand to my friend to remove him drive shaft and box this thing ih heavy

Fillered and sprayed black to see the low spots

Coming along now

Wing back on

Still a bit work on that curve

Peggyontherun

The lines taking shape now

Bit to go on this side

Drilled holes in the side for hot engine air to escape

Wing back on the lines are taking shape now

Moleman

Looks good now it's done. Time for the skin on your fingers to grow back before anymore sanding then?  ;D

Peggyontherun

@ moleman - ha ha theres lots of sanding left to do it hasnt started yet  ???

Got these ring machined by a local engineering shop there for the holes cut out in the engine cover

Bit left to fill

All sanded wing back on

Bars put in to keep the rear of the kit from flexing as there is no support there

A few flaws need to be re-filled

Sanded the rear booth and trial fitted the Lamborghini logo to it

Ariel shot before home time

Peggyontherun

Sanded the rear booth got rid of all of the paint and skimmed it

Block sanded

Exhausts back on

Well finally my new engine arrived for the Lambo (I wish) its my friends engine for his Corvette all the way from America

Peggyontherun

Pulled the car out today for a clean of the workshop

Rear spoiler primed

Chrome bits for my friends corvette engine

Rear booth coming along

Peggyontherun

Few pin hole to fix

Sanded and re-primered

Had to cut this out to get access to the rear fans

bit of piping used this is hooked up to the rear rad and extracts hot air from the engine

Drivers side left to do

hose hanging in position

Had some rubber matting i got off my girlfriends dad as he was getting rid of it so i took it am covering the boot in it

Rear wing is coming along re-primered all i have to do now is drop it off to be carbon fibered the same as the dash

Rings on the passenger side put in

Rubber matting all measured and left to dry over night wrecked now

'The Gaffer'

At this rate you will have it finished by Christmas :)

Peggyontherun

@ The gaffer - ha ha i would love to just waiting on my door glass to come from America and gas rams from the UK so id say it will be after christmas until they arrive am in no hurry ive lots to keep me busy ive been quoted on two rear tyres 315/35 R17 £400 each  :o if anybody out there can find me even 315/30 R17 tyres would be a help but £400 is a bit much for one tyre.

asn

hi how much was it for all your wheel spacers as i got quoted £700 also been looking at getting a kit shipped over from the usa from car kit inc but trying to find out how much a 205 kg crate cost is impossible love ur work every day

Peggyontherun

@ asn - i paid 750 euro for my wheel spacers there expensive but you can get them made way way cheaper in the UK this crowd are good to deal with http://www.hillengineering.co.uk for wheel spacers i paid way over the odd for mine but i wanted them made there and then so you pay for what you get. 

Shipping a crate that size will cost a fair bit my kit was based off the Extreme kit give them a shout but if you buy from them dont hand any money over to them until they give you every single part that you need the customer service is crap but if you join the extreme owners club the lads there will give you a hand with what ever you need to know.

The Lamborghini Murcielago kit is the most difficult kit to build in the kit car industry and anybody who tells you different is telling you a lie.

If i was you and in your position i would buy the Lamborghini Gallardo kit its made by a chap in Scotland and its made to order the kit is really simple to fit and goes on the the toyota convertibles its a great kit and pure quality even for a few quid extra he will put carbon fiber in between the layer of FGP its pure class.
Here on chap that has built the Gallardo kit

See the carbon fiber in between the layers

As you can see the kit fit perfect no cutting or welding involved when im finished the Murcielago this is the next kit i will be doing.

Peggyontherun

Rubber matting cut out for the boot

Back put in

Passenger side put in

Tricky part put in

All cleaned out and finished

Rear boot nealt finished

Rear spoiler re-primered

asn

thanks for the information I will be getting in touch with them I have seen the extremes and after all the stuff I hear im  off somewhere else like F>G>P but then I remembered how I first got interested in doing a lambo kit and it was the yanks sight that first court my eye any way this is the kit I want when I get a cheaper quote than 2000 k on shipping

Peggyontherun

£2,000 for shipping is crazy money you would get a container cheaper if i was you id get a shipping quote on a container and get a container sent over be much cheaper.

asn

could you point me in the right direction as i have tried and just can not sort it im clueless with shipping also is there any loop holes in not paying tax when it gets here as i think it say you get charged vat 20%

Peggyontherun

Peggyontherun

Rear boot filling

Rear spoiler back on getting all the closing lines on the boot

Coming along

Side being sanded

Bar put in for strength

Boot all primered

More parts primered

bluehornetrider

Found this site for you http://www.camskill.co.uk/m117b0s692p14845/TOYO_TYRES_TRACKDAY_TRACK_DAY_TOYO_R888_TOYO_R_888_-_315_35R17_102W_%28GG_2G-MEDIUM%29_TL_  at £278 per tyre but are out of stock, they are out there though.  I was nearly weeping when I had to pay out £300 for 2 tyres on my daily run around, it's only done 15k miles.
Are you keeping the square edges to the spoiler?  Kinda clashes with the rest of the cars curves, but I guess you've got the ideas in your head of what you want.  All the best.

Peggyontherun

@ bluehornetrider - cheers for the info i have sent them an e-mail so hopefully they have some in stock them tyres are expensive cause there so darn big

Didnt get much done due to me visiting the surgeon about my knee i damaged last year more operations on the way downer
A few pin holes fixed

All sanded now

Re-primered

Putting the rear wing on

Engine cover off a bit of sanding on this then primer

Being bolted on

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Peggyontherun on 15, December, 2011, 07:50:08 PM
Didnt get much done due to me visiting the surgeon about my knee i damaged last year more operations on the way downer

Sorry to hear that, great progress though.

Peggyontherun

@ the gaffer - a no worries just limits me doing some stuff a pain but just want the surgery over with now its going on 2 years now.

asn

hope you get sorted out quickly, one of my pals had half knee done and he could walk on it strait away and stopped loads of pain. Anyway keep well and keep the good work up.
I put up a scaffold platform round my mr2 today to lift it high as i have to cut behind the seats and add some length and got my self a mig welder lol not welded for 15 years i would prefer to move the engine back like ex do but i carn't buy the stuff off them now im getting the yanks kit.  its all over priced anyway

Peggyontherun

@ ASN - i hope the hospital get back to me soon for this MRI scan its a pain waiting around for it but it should be sorted soon. Put up a few pictures of your MR2 looking forward to seeing it and that kit from the US should be great if you need any help just shout am here for ya yip the extreme kit is way over priced you do the right thing going the US way

A few brackets to be made up for the rear boot

Here it goes

Spoiler and boot all together

The centre section of the spoiler is bolted down through the boot an through 25mm box section of the rear boot

Second bracket on

Engine cover nearly all flat sanded coming along

asn

hi peggy should I start my own Fred or just add to yours
I was thinking I want  now to move the engine back and not cut the car in half like Americans do but heat and bend the back frame out like the orange line shows    and cut the sub frame in half(red arrow) lengthen it so i don't have them massive wheel extenders on like yours does also is there any other drive shafts out there that i could fit in which is the right length

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: asn on 18, December, 2011, 12:26:21 PM
hi peggy should I start my own Fred or just add to yours
I was thinking I want  now to move the engine back and not cut the car in half like Americans do but heat and bend the back frame out like the orange line shows    and cut the sub frame in half(red arrow) lengthen it so i don't have them massive wheel extenders on like yours does also is there any other drive shafts out there that i could fit in which is the right length

It would be good if you start a new build thread, and if possible can you use the add image to post feature (Like Peggy) when adding pictures, that way only small expandable thumbnails are shown and thus saves our bandwidth and pages load quicker.

Thanks and we look forward to following this build.

Phil
BKCC Admin.

Peggyontherun

@ Asn - yip id say you would be better starting your own build thread as it will save on bandwidth click on the "add image to post" its under the smiley faces use this to post your pictures as the gaffer say it will save bandwidth on the site.
I looked into try getting a wider drive shaft but there is none out there and would cost too much for one to be made so thats why i used bigger spacers. Its not a big job to cut the car in half much easier job to do and you will have the correct wheel base as long as you are handy with a grinder and welder my car was sent to the UK for this to be done by the previous owner and was seam welded back together any engineering company can usually do this for a price just be careful what company you use.

@ the gaffer - Cheers Phil

asn

hi peggy i will start my own soon as the kit comes can you do me a favour and measure what the drive shafts would be if it was strait to your hub on the wheels. I will get searching a scrap yard for what may fit or can be machined to fit thanks

Peggyontherun

@ Asn - will measure that for you tomorrow

Peggyontherun

@ Asn - just home there now i measured from the inside of the drive shaft out to the end of the spacer and its 670mm the drive shaft will have to be there or there abouts now i have three piece smyth rims and my tyres rear tyres are 315/35 R17 so you will have to take into account the wheels that you are going to use as well am here if you need any more help