AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Cobra kit car interior retrim using Haynes manual on "How to trim".

Started by Dixie, 25, October, 2009, 07:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Dixie on 29, December, 2009, 03:01:34 PM
fit 12V lights in the bonnet and boot to luminate these areas in times of darkness.

I was going to do that too :)

There must be a way you car keep a Grinnal ANDthe Cob :'(

Dixie

What a crap day, while sanding down the door, the cardboard box it was resting on collasped and the door fell off and smashed onto the concrete.  Split the fibreglass on the door edge, totally wrecking everything I have spent the past week doing >:( not a happy chappy.

So now I have to spray the complete door with paint supplied in a Halfords spray tin.  The "Cock up fairy" has certainly visited my garage this week.

Pictures to follow.

Looks like I have saved the day, mixed some Halfords pain with some tinners and used my little spray gun.  Results look promising, will know better in a few days after I have rubbed down with 1200 grit wet and dry, put final coat on and cut back using T-cut.

Mark

Looks like it may be ok.

'The Gaffer'

Very nice revovery mate :)

Bet you could have kicked yourself. Lesson learnt, dont use carboard boxes again ;)

Bulldog Bri

If anything like this happens, I tell myself it could always have been worst.  ;D

As Phil said though good recovery  ;)

8)

Dixie

Before and after photos.  Not 100% but 99%, pleased with the result.  When I put a 16"roundal on it, no one will ever know, well except you lot :D.

Also some photos of new years day at Weston Super Mare, it was great, jammed packed with people and dogs everywhere.  Very cold but lovely.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Dixie on 05, January, 2010, 09:08:32 PM
When I put a 16"roundal on it, no one will ever know, well except you lot :D.

I wont tell :-X Good work mate.

I took this pic at WSM yesterday eve, it looks like the Bahamas but was like minus 2000 degrees :(

Hairy Santa

Think that is one hell of a job your doing there, glad its all come right in the end

Dixie

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 05, January, 2010, 11:15:58 PM
Think that is one hell of a job your doing there, glad its all come right in the end

Thanks matey. :D

Dixie

Nearly finished the N/S.  Just got to add the lights.

You all have my permission to kick my ass next time I suggest such a major overhaul on a perfectly good working car.  This is becoming a complete pain now.  Perhaps when it is MOT'd next week and the plate transferred, I can relax a bit.

Bulldog Bri

Dixie

Thanks Bri, my wife reckons they look a bit too"Blingy"  I quite like it, it's a bit differant.

Mark

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Dixie on 29, January, 2010, 10:02:29 PM
Thanks Bri, my wife reckons they look a bit too"Blingy"  I quite like it, it's a bit differant.

Mark

I think they look good - bit different than the norm - ye I like um

YellaBelly

With all due respect to your missus (as they are always right ;) ), I think the car looks sweet!  8)

JB

Richard

I'm struggling with that "7" to be truthful, perhaps in the flesh it is better.

Oh, it means new photos needed as well.

Lots of great work though  !

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Richard on 30, January, 2010, 06:12:34 PM
I'm struggling with that "7" to be truthful, perhaps in the flesh it is better.

Oh, it means new photos needed as well.

Lots of great work though  !

Sorry, I'm with Rich on that one, maybe it does look fantastic in the flesh though :-\

Perhaps a couple more side on pics Mark?

Dixie

I can always take the "7" sticker off if it looks too naff.

Mark

'The Gaffer'

Hey Mark, its your car to do want you want to it ;) If you like the 7 then keep it. There will be lots of things we all do our cars that might not be to everybody elses taste but thats what kits cars are all about.. personalisation.

I wouldn't mind a couple more side on pics for a better view.

Richard

I liked the older plain 7s those look too "disney" for me, but what a tiny little item compared to all the other parts / decals finish quality !

As you say that can always come off so not of a big concern. Would like to see it in the flesh before you do something drastic though.

Dixie

I am only 50% happy with them.  But they do look better in the flesh.

Car goes into the garage on Tuesday for MOT, then I can take it all apart again and finish it.  Getting a bit dispondant, need to get it back on the road.

Then I am DEFINATELY gunna sell it.  I am going to get a Grinnal Scorpion.  I will put it up for sale at the Stoneleigh show.

Mark

Richard

You keep doing that sell thing to me on this car, and you know how good I am at not buying more cars  :(

Dixie

I have made my mind up.  But I can't buy the Grinnal until the Cob is gone.

I have a feeling that Easter will be a good time to sell it, The number of Cobs on Piston Heads has dropped form over 70 to just 15, and off that 7 are trade.

Plus all seem to be big money.  Keeps your eyes open for a Scorpion. :)

Mark

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Richard on 31, January, 2010, 09:54:08 PM
You keep doing that sell thing to me on this car, and you know how good I am at not buying more cars  :(

Its a great car, someome will buy a gem there. Rich, I can really see your face in it... or mine come to that.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Dixie

Richard

You've had an eye on one of those for a while now, suspect you'll get one soon.

Your car will sell really fast when you put in up for sale. Hope it stays local whoever has it.   

I must resist.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Dixie

Thanks for the link.  But a bit pricey at £9K for a 1100cc Mk3.

Gotta sell the Cob first.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Dixie on 02, February, 2010, 08:22:08 PM
Thanks for the link.  But a bit pricey at £9K for a 1100cc Mk3.

Gotta sell the Cob first.

And that looks very pink to me  ;D  ;D  ;D

Dixie

http://www.cunninghamsauto.com/models/runner.php

Have a look at this.  Not quite a trike, but close enough.  And £10K for a brand new car.

I really really like it.  Quite querky. :D

'The Gaffer'

Interesting car that QT Mark.

There is a Grinnall Scorpion 3 in this Complete Kitcar Magazine.

In Blue. No age given?? Q plate maybe? BMW K1 5 speed electric reverse. 20.000 mls. £7850 ono

Think its been in there for a while.

Dixie

Hi Phil.

That one is a 1000cc and on a Q plate.  I am being a bit fussy, but I want a 1100cc but wont pay more than £8K.

I'll find one eventually.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Dixie

thanks for that.  shame its a 1000cc.

My wife reckons she prefers the Cobra.

I am not sure.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Dixie on 19, February, 2010, 07:32:12 PM
thanks for that.  shame its a 1000cc.

I am not sure.

I'm with Mich on that one - you sure you can fit in one of them   8) does look somewhat tight across

Dixie

Got in the garage today.  Been suffering from man flu!!  much worse than any women could possibly understand.

I have scrapped all the door cards I previously made, taken off all the stickers and started again.

He is my latest attempt.  A mix of carpet and leather, I quite like it.

Mark

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Dixie on 21, February, 2010, 09:04:54 PM
Got in the garage today.  Been suffering from man flu!!  much worse than any women could possibly understand.

I have scrapped all the door cards I previously made, taken off all the stickers and started again.

Mark

I recon you might have something there - that looks bloody good

'The Gaffer'

Nice work there mate but, uh oh, you dont want to upset the wife do you? Your car is a real labour of love Mark, why exactly do you want to sell such a beauty?

YellaBelly

That's the sort of look I'm going for on the Locost :)

I did a similar thing on an MX5 some years ago and was quite pleased with the result.

I know it might be a bit 'posh' for a seven, but I want to give it that finished look :D

(Mind you, need to get it finished mechanically first :) )

Dixie

Quote from: G & Toniq on 21, February, 2010, 11:53:04 PM

Nice work there mate but, uh oh, you dont want to upset the wife do you? Your car is a real labour of love Mark, why exactly do you want to sell such a beauty?

This sounds terrible, but I am bored with it, plus I have always liked trikes and have always wanted a bike engined car.  Plus I am a little stressed over all the work that I have done and then subsequently got wrong etc.  Perhaps when the weather turns and I can start making it to a few meetings I can regain my passion for the Cobra.

Dixie

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 21, February, 2010, 10:45:36 PM
Quote from: Dixie on 21, February, 2010, 09:04:54 PM

Mark

I recon you might have something there - that looks bloody good

Thanks Pete.  Seeing your GT the other day has made me get of my arse and do something.  Even if I have been suffering from a mutant strain of man flu which has mutated with the Rabies virus or the plague.  What ever it was, it wasn't nice.  Mich just reckons I should not be so "Helpless".  Women, they don't understand!!!