+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Olympics - who's watching?

Started by Grin-a-lot, 28, July, 2012, 12:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

Well I reckon Danny Boyle's done a great job. Been awake allnight with some British ales and am hugely excited about the next 16 days of sport!  With the Hungary F1 race this weekend, it's going to be awesome!

fullpint

Started watching it at 9pm, went to bed at 10pm (tv on cause wife reads teletext) and fell asleep by 1030 haha. Catching up with the good bits on the 6am news. That will do me.
I think the money its costing could good to much better uses  >:(
Saying that tho I will watch the track and field events..

stupott901

It's reported the opening ceremony alone cost £27 million I know it looked great but there's the govt making people redundant !!!!

I was watching the women's beach volleyball and the rowing this morning

paintman

I would rather watch paint dry truthfully.......shant be watching it except for the closing ceremony maybe.     What a waste of 27 million in a ressession.      Bet Spain would have cancelled it if they won last time! ::)

'Mendip Wurzel'

There say we have spent 9 billion on the Olympics which is approx a £150 for every person, so I would guess the average tax payer would be paying closer to £200 and I haven't even got a ticket for one of those unfilled seats that you see all of the time for my £200 investment....

YellaBelly

Forgive me for being negative, but it seems that every area we could have messed up we have. Wrong flag for 2 of the most 'hate each other' countries, screw-up over the security, loads of empty seats, all our hopes so far have failed to deliver by a long shot. What next?

Just doesn't inspire the soul :(

Sorry but it's so dissappointing.

fullpint

And check out the Medal Table to see where we are!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT LISTED YET  :(

Quantum owner

I was expecting it to be shit but acctually enjoyed it the first bit was boring but once it got on to the industrial revolution i enjoyed it. This cost us each 150 quid which i think is nothing in the grand scheme if things. The 9 billion price tag is nothing compared to the foreign aids bill which is 14+billion and in the last 7 years gave british manafacture and british people a lot of jobs and investment. Also this has given a the area of london a well needed boost for jobs and investment.

The venues have been built in time and to a high standared which is something a lot of people were saving that it wouldn't happen and will hopeful encourage people to take up sport and may become a healthy nation as a result reducing the burden on the nhs. Also the tourist asspects of the games people who travel to the games will go back home and come back again with family and friends after enjoying the olympics.

With this the golden jubile and hopefully hamilton/button winning the f1 will make me feel proud to be british which is something i haven't felt for a while.

'The Gaffer'

I was cringing when the opening ceremony started, it looked like a glorified theme park. Saving grace was the pixel paddles held up by the crowd.

Call me a cynic, but isn't it about time some of the sports and equipment was updated? especially the gymnastics? Seems like I've been watching athletes walking along wooden bars and spinning around in loops on ropes since I was a kid.

Grin-a-lot

Well I think it's been great although surprisingly unhealthy as all I've really been doing is sitting in front of the TV watching sport rather than doing any!

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 30, July, 2012, 09:20:26 PM
Call me a cynic, but isn't it about time some of the sports and equipment was updated?

Thats a fair point, after all, the archers have done ok with their carbon fibre bows and things whereas the poor old gymnasts have seen little progress.  Apparently the vault (I think) has changed design to discourage people crushing their nuts/lady gardens like you see on "you've been framed" videos.

fullpint

I may take more interest when the track 'n' field starts..

paintman

Watched us get hammered in the mens freestyle relay!! :(

YellaBelly

Quote from: fullpint on 31, July, 2012, 06:40:00 PM
I may take more interest when the track 'n' field starts..

I won't! :(