News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Sell It now or keep it?

Started by fullpint, 03, February, 2013, 04:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fullpint

Dare I say it but every one on this forum seems very level headed and when replies are made they are genuine.
So my question is relating to my Fiat Stilo 2005 1.9JTD, 80,000 miles MOT till late June and taxed till end of Sept.
As you may know this past month or so its given me a few problems.. It runs fine and gives get mpg but still I have NO dash!! It does come on every now and then.
Q) If I sell it in June it will only go for scrap value so do I hold on till then?
Q) Sell it now and I'm sure I can get £600+ as it is in the hope the buyer has a bit of luck in fixing it?
What would you do?
Recent work; New rear discs+pads, new ERG valve in Dec, new rear n/s wheels wheel bearing and main beam bushes also done in Dec.
The engine and gearbox can't be faulted.
I've had it with Fiats now and will be looking to buy some thing like a Vectra.

Moleman

Sounds like you may not even be lucky enough to get £600+ for it as it stands? Along with the hassles of selling it I would prob run down then scrap it in june. Perhaps just keep a for sale sign in it & see if someone shows any interest rather than the silly phonecalls & questions you get from time wasters when you advertise it in various sites.

fullpint

Wise comments Colin. Part of me was hoping for a £600+ sold as seen but running it till June may be the way to go.. Shame because its a tidy car with FSH and 2 previous owners.
If I keep it I will look out for a set of real cheap steel rims to drive it down the scrap yard. The alloys are worth £150+ alone..

'The Gaffer'

Keep it till June and part it out for spares, then scrap the rest and as been mentioned keep a for sale sign on it.

But if I didn't want the hassle then I would cut my losses and try to sell now.

bluehornetrider

Only way to get anything like the money you've put into it is to stip it and sell it piecemeal and hope someone wants the big bits, downside is having a hulk sat on your driveway. 

fullpint

I would love to break it but no space on the driveway.. I will keep an eye out for a set of steelies for the Fiat and at least I can sell the Blade alloys for a good £150.
I'm looking out for my next run-a-round but it WONT be a Fiat  ;D
Ive now got the boot that un-locks its self when driving along, also the heater has a mind of its own now  >:(

bluehornetrider

Ah the joys of FIAT, can't understand how the old joke Fix It Again Tomorrow camw about :P  hope it all works out okay, maybe use it as a trade in on a reliable KIA or hyundia with 7 years warranty.

fullpint

RESULT
2 months now Ive been driving around with out a dash so one last throw of the dice I thought lets send it off for repair to see if that cured my issues..
Yipppppppppeeeeeeee
Sent it off Monday they got it Tuesday and returned to me yesterday. Ok cost was £129.75p. So today I plugged it in and all my lights and gauges work.
Cool, I LOVE MY FIAT NOW  :D :D Was worth £400 scrap (and Fiat told me to scrap it) and now its got to be £1500+..
Well happy, plus today I get my phone back from O2, all in all a great day  8) :P :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Daley Down Under

paintman

Glad you got sorted in the end!!!! ;) ;D ;D

fullpint

Quote from: paintman on 01, March, 2013, 12:58:53 AM
Glad you got sorted in the end!!!! ;) ;D ;D
This is a Fiat at the end of the day so I will be waiting for the next task  ;D
If it passes the next MOT I may pass it on and treat my self   8)

YellaBelly

I know exactly how you feel Steve. I've had similar issues with the Discovery, spent 18 months off the road (a lot due to me travelling with work though) and far too mucn money to fix a problem that eventually ended up with me removing the electronic diesel system and fitting a good old cable system!

Ran great for 12 months and now she's off the road again with a noise that seems ominously like Big ends or similar! :(

I've got a bit more time, but no spare cash so I have a 2 1/2 ton paperweight sat on the drive at the moment >:(. Apparently it is relatively east to replace the Big Ends in situ as long as the crank doesn't need a regrind, but I wonder if it might be cheaper and easier to get another engine and fit that?

I love our Disco, but am starting to wonder...... >:(

'The Gaffer'

Sell it quick before it breaks down again ;)

fullpint

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 02, March, 2013, 10:33:55 AM
Sell it quick before it breaks down again ;)
Knowing my luck it would break-down whilst they have a test drive  :D :D. They do say you either love  em or hate em..
Mind you 6 months ago we had 3 Fiats in the household, now we have just the one. My Stilo, guess it may be time to part company with her..

Krazyken

AHHHHHHHHH that 4 letter F word..........FIAT.

You might be happy again now, but the 4 letter F words will come flooding back when it breaks down again.