News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Windows 10

Started by benchmark51, 30, July, 2015, 08:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Got upgraded to W10 from W7 last night. So far ok, a bit different but only 1 problem so far.
I couldn't make a last backup of W7 to my usb backup drive following the W10 download. Got stuck at 57% at each attempt. Have a previous backup so went ahead with the upgrade anyway. I was able to keep all my settings, browser, bookmarks ect. Lost some of the games and all the statistics though (boo)
Anyone else done it yet?

'Mendip Wurzel'

I am still on XP..... my computer still seems as fast as any modern setup.   

longtimecoming

In the process of upgrading now, a bit different but should prove to be better when we get the hang of it. A few things lost but I'm sure they are there some where. 

paintman

Hope it was easier than changing to Windows 8.....couldn't find nothing easily for months.

The wife refuses to change from 7.....saying it's a lot easier.

Facial Hair Optional

Not even gonna bother, happy with 7 and why risk F'in it all up and losing all my stuff? I agree with Mendip Worzel too, XP was the last fast running Windows in my opinion. Still have it on an old desktop and works great.

benchmark51

Apparently this is going to be the last windows and will be upgraded continuosly. Will be run on all devices, pc's, laptops, tablets, phones. I never tried W8, but heard it was pants. W10 is supposed to fix that, we'll see. Still got a W7 pc, just in case.

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 31, July, 2015, 03:42:00 AM
Not even gonna bother, happy with 7 and why risk F'in it all up and losing all my stuff? I agree with Mendip Worzel too, XP was the last fast running Windows in my opinion. Still have it on an old desktop and works great.

I can understand that, I was happy with W7 too. However things progress and W10 makes sense and should get rid of upgrading woes. Just think, we could all still be on W3.1 or even Dos  :o ;D

Gary RH7

Whats all this Windows thing you are all talking about.
I am using PC/M on my Amstrad with no problems. Well there is one problem, No WiFi :o

longtimecoming

Windows 7 or 8 (8.1) are just as good as 10, The problem as I see it, is that Microsoft have stopped supporting Internet Explorer and people are already having connection problems, with messages like 'Explorer has stopped working' and have to reload the page. The solution is to use ether Google Chrome or Firefox as their browser. I guess each to there own with which system to use. I have to keep up to date so that I can keep up with my grand children when they ask my 'opinion' and then ignore it anyway. I've downloaded Chrome onto 10 and it seems to be the best compromise.

Facial Hair Optional

Lontimecoming... yeah my 16 year old swears by Chrome, I myself have been using Firefox for as long as I can remember (at least 7 years could even be 10+), Internet Explorer sucks!!! Sooooooooooooooo damned slow  :(

Iancider

Mendip Wurzel

QuoteI am still on XP..... my computer still seems as fast as any modern setup.   

Sadly XP is not supported any more and will progressively become incompatible with new stuff and you will not be getting security updates any more.  7 was good, 8 was  annoying and retrograde 8.1 was almost as good as 7.  10 is an attempt at a loyalty trap - you never own or control you own software and once on the hook like 365 it is going to be very hard to get off.  I rate Firefox, Chrome maps your whole disk drive and makes it available to Google - I am not prepared to accept that.

When a supplier says "We value your privacy" they mean: "cos we sell everything we learn about you to anybody who will pay for it"

Regards
Ian

benchmark51

You never own software, you just buy the right to use it. It also comes full of conditions. I also use firefox and have for a few years now, still happy with it. The only software issue I've had recently is Google maps, was ok but went weird for some reason. Got rid of it in the end. W10 installed with Maps and so far has worked ok. Coming up to changing my phone soon, getting fed up with my Samsung
Galaxy S4. Might go for a Moto G (3rd gen). Impressive specs at the third of the price of samsung or iphone.

benchmark51

Well I gave W10 a go, but it got slower and wouldn't let me do things I wanted. Couldn't get it to recognise an external hard drive or a usb key drive. So I took the 'return to previous windows' option, which is available for a month following the upgrade. Went back ok, had to re-install AVG but all seems back to normal now. My worry is that eventually we will be forced to use W10.

Vindicator

I've upgraded our 3 PCs to W10 over the last week. All have successfully completed although I instigated the upgrades myself rather than 'waiting for my turn'.  (2 x W7 - W10 and 1 x W8.1 to W10). Only issues I've had are one PC took the best part of 10 hours to download and upgrade; not certain why but it is an older PC so may be somewhat challenged......and one of the other PCs upgraded using the Microsoft generic graphics drivers; useless for my PC and was not giving me the correct screen resolution choices. Visiting the hardware site located updated proprietary drivers which downloaded and all is well.

To be fair, Microsoft have done a reasonable job bearing in mind the software is being downloaded onto a plethora of hardware mixes, set-ups and software but I do wonder how non-PC savvy users will fare with an upgrade (I'm waiting for my Dad to get on the phone with the great idea he should upgrade!). As with most PC problems, it's worth going onto the 'net if you have problems to see whether there are 'known issues' that can help solve a problem. A lot of the suggestions/responses can be red-herrings but there's a good chance it can help. Thankfully, I didn't suffer a complete meltdown and rebuild but I did a back-up before I started, just in case........

paintman

I was on Windows 8.1 but now am on 10, had to phone Knowhow to sort out where my favourites had gone but beside
that all is well.

Think it helps if you previously had Windows 8.....I also have 8 on my smart phone.

benchmark51

The one I upgraded was W7, I haven't tried W8 or W8.1. I wasn't at home with the 'tile' idea and prefer the W7 style. It was slower than W7 and I have to use external drives, but W10 just didn't want to.

I have another that is running Vista, never had a problem with it, but I can't upgrade to W10 without buying it.

It's my year to update my phone, but not too impressed with the Galaxy S6. Seems like a upgrade of what I have (S4), without the expansion card. So I might get a new computer, laptop or tablet.

Vindicator

Quote from: Vindicator on 20, August, 2015, 07:41:07 PM
I've upgraded our 3 PCs to W10 over the last week. All have successfully completed ...........

Update on the upgrade.......following the upgrade, I discovered both of the PCs running Outlook 2013 had problems sending email....one was intermittent and the other was consistent. The failure message suggested I couldn't connect to the network ("Cannot connect to the network. Verify your network connection or modems".) and both were also getting messages confirming Outlook could not connect to the remote outgoing mail server (SMTP asking me to confirm the password). Confident that both were OK, the problem appears to be a corruption of the Outlook data files (.pst) caused by the W10 upgrade. There is a verification and fix that can be run from inside Windows and this fixed the problem; Emails are now OK. Details of the problem and fix can be found here....http://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/clients/634-outlook-0x800ccc13-send-receive-error-after-upgrading-to-windows-10

This worked for me but as with all internet sourced fixes, use with caution....only run if you trust the source and if you do, it may not work for everyone......

Facial Hair Optional

Hmmm, I'm a big believer in the adage 'if it ain't broken don't fix it'... I'll stay with Windows 7 for now methinks and let you smarter guys iron out all the bugs  ;D

Vindicator

Great philosophy and the number of times I wish I'd left well alone......but I can't help fiddling!
Cheers, Ian

benchmark51

My 'trial' of Windows 10 is now done, but can't seem to get rid of the W10 upgrade icon in the taskbar.
I 've got a feeling I may be stuck with it now. Also once everyone has been invited(compelled) to go over to W10, then along goes any choices in the future. This being the final version of windows and automatic updates for ever more.
My computer is several years old and that may have contributed to the poor performance with W10, but I'll stick with it for now and continue to use W7.  A new computer will probably be a laptop or tablet and will have W10 on it.  I may dump windows and go Android, works well enough on my phone.

Facial Hair Optional

There's a guy I use in Yate when my laptop or pcs play up, he may have some insights or advice on his website which is all free to access. Google PC Pete and you should find him. Very reasonable prices too if you ever get stuck.