+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Trying to decide on a new toolbox.....

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 10, December, 2015, 05:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

I have spent TWO DAYS on ebay and other sites trying to find a decent tool box for track days at a decent price. It seeems you either have to pay (stupid) Snap-On prices or else the rest is just cheap crap.

I need one that is portable to put in the back of a car, big enough to take the tools I may need for a track day and good enough quality to last a few years, not too flimsy and yet not too expensive. It seems there may be a gap in the market for this as I am yet to find one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There does not seem to be much in the way of middle ground items on sale.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-professional-4-drawer-metal-portable-tool-chest

I can see that handle lasting all of one week when the box is full of tools, it appears to be pop rivetted on? The versions with side handles (better idea) are often held on with self tapping screws into single (thin) sheet steel! More often than not these are all the same cheap far east boxes with some branded logo stuck on them (US Pro, American Pro, Halfords, Sealey, DJM etc)

The best compromise I've found so far is this one... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-AP2200BB-TOOL-CHEST-TOP-BOX-Top-Chest-Only-/331646080227?hash=item4d37a594e3:g:pvYAAOSwqv9V6bC7

Still not convinced about the quality though. If it falls apart after no time at all then I would have been better off getting a more expensive/quality one in the 1st place, though price is no guide. I have seen the exact same boxes going for between £40 and £80 from different sellers, talk about a minefield of rip offs!  >:(

benchmark51

I wouldn't even consider a toolbox. I would go for several tool rolls. Can position them around the available space and spread the weight. They can last for years too.

Iancider

Good advice benchmark!

I set up my garage with tool rolls hung on the wall and in sets of like things, spanners in one roll screwdrivers in another and of course one especially for the kit car - actually the last one is not a tool-roll but a nylon multi-compartment bag - old camera bags are perfecto!

Ian

Gary RH7

FHO, If you are going to buy a tool chest as in your links get one where the drawers have ball bearing runners. You might pay more but it is worth it.

Facial Hair Optional

Iancider