News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Under 17 Driving

Started by Iainl, 07, April, 2016, 08:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iainl

If anyone is thinking of getting their under 17 year olds driving I would highly recommend "Under 17 Drivers Pathfinder" which is part of the Under 17 Car Club.

This week my son and I have spent the last 4 days (still have Friday to go) of driving his Corsa around Throckmorton Airfield where a temporary road system has been marked out with cones.

The course has included a daily Theory Paper, daily instructed drive where he has been assessed on his driving abilities, a braking demonstration to illustrate the distance different vehicles take to stop at 30, 50 & 80 mph, various driving skill tests which included a small slalom course, forward, reverse & parallel parking and we have both taken part in a brake and avoid test.

We have also sat through a Speed Awareness discussion, a short video of how accidents can effect lives (which in my opinion should be shown to all potential young drivers) & a talk about peer pressure & assertiveness.

You mainly drive your own car around, but you get chance to drive each other's car as well, there is also a Land Rover, a panel van and a large lorry you can let your child drive.

A traffic policeman has been there all week as well and if your child has progressed in their driving abilities they may get chance to drive the Audi traffic police car (which we may get to do tomorrow)

I think one of my sons highlights of the week so far was driving the Assistant Cheif Constable of West Mercia around the course in a Jaguar and getting some advice from him on ways he can improve his driving

Unfortunately I can't use the Kit Car, but we will be taking both the Corsa and the Kuga up there tomorrow so that he can drive both of these and it will be the first time his mother has sat alongside him while he has driven (which will show her how well he has got on this week)

The cost has been subsidiesed by various organisations and this has kept the price extremely low for a weeks driving

If anyone wants anymore details please let me know as I will be picking up some leaflets at the end of tomorrow

Cheers
Iainl

Facial Hair Optional

My son starts under 17 driving lessons off road next week. He will be 17 in May though so may be too late for the course you mention? It sounds really good though!

benchmark51

I know 40 year olds that would benefit from that sort of course!!