News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Brexit leaflet

Started by benchmark51, 12, April, 2016, 03:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Got my leaflet/booklet today. Sellotaped the edge up, wrote 'Return to sender' on it and posted it back.
It is not a balanced view and I think Cameron has overstepped the mark by using tax payers money to fund his view.

SPAXIMUS

I considered that however, if we all did this Cameron would not see them and the taxpayers will have to pay even more postage to return.

Best is to ignore the contents and send it for recycling as at least some good will come of it.

Iancider

It is an interesting point. 
Noting that the EU has proposed to ban kit cars we cannot be in favour.  But here we have the head of Government representing only part of the the Government and taking tax-payers money to represent a "political" point of view which does not represent the views of his own party - which was elected as the Government. 

He did not put this expenditure to the vote in parliament because he would have lost that.  He did not put it to the electoral commission because they do not allow taxpayers money to be spent on political publications. 

Such print runs are enormous and take time so that would have taken a month even for the very largest of printers - running 24x7.  So the decision was made some time back.  We have to presume that was put out to tender and a competition for supply was won or the government broke its own rules on competition but the civil service should not be commissioned to perform anything that might be party political. 

The only way this seems legal is if David Cameron thinks he personally is the government and has absolute power to overlook the rules of impartiality, fair competition and the balanced views of a democracy.  It reminds me that "No Political party wins and election but the outgoing government certainly loses it".  If democracy and free will is overturned in this way then it is time to exercise our once in 5 year will to show why democracy is so important.  This of course applies equally to George Ferguson who does not listen to his electorate - not long to wait for that one!

benchmark51

Quote from: SPAXIMUS on 12, April, 2016, 06:47:11 PM
I considered that however, if we all did this Cameron would not see them and the taxpayers will have to pay even more postage to return.

Best is to ignore the contents and send it for recycling as at least some good will come of it.

This idea was suggested on facebook and although Cameron won't see my returned leaflet, if enough of them go the same way, he and the press would certainly hear about it. It isn't for the tax payer to fund his personal views and if a leaflet was neccesary it should be non biased. The apparent £9M could have been spent in so many better ways

benchmark51

I think europe is made up of many diverse cultures that cannot be ruled from one place. Each of them should hold on to their own ways and traditions. The most important thing to me is maintaining borders. The world isn't a friendly enough place to have open borders. If I go to Spain on holiday then thats what I want - a spanish holiday not a european one. The same for the other countries, should be unique and traditional according to their traditions.

Driving around Europe without stopping at borders doesn't seem right to me. If I can get through a border without checks so can the baddies and we are now reaping the reward of that idea.