Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

O/T - Heating Oil

Started by YellaBelly, 26, November, 2011, 08:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Hi all,

We are at present renting a house in a rural area running on domestic oil for heating etc. We filled the tank a couple of months ago anticipating another big freeze, but we now have a dilema. We are hopefully moving to another property which is also oil-fired, the problem is, the place we are moving to has an almost empty tank (they knew they were moving so ran it down), our move came a little out-of-the-blue so we are now stuck with an almost full tank here and need to see if there is anyway we can shift the oil to the new property. At today's prices, a full tank is worth a hell of a lot of cash!

Anyone on here had a similar experience, or have any good ideas? I doubt that selling the fuel to the landlord is an option (it's a long story), so any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks chaps :)

JB

'The Gaffer'

There are heating oil supply companies that will transfer oil from one location to another - For a fee.

Or auction it off on eBay, either way it will probably cost.

Best option would be to see if you could do a private deal with the new tenants?

Hope you get it sorted, how far away are you moving?

paintman

Maybe you can get hold of some 40 gallon drums and drain it?

YellaBelly

The best option seems to be to move it myself. Apparently it's pretty expensive to move. We don't know if there will be any new tenants straight away and the landlord won't buy it. We are moving near to Castle Coombe (between Burton and Acton Turville) so not too far. I think I will try and get some 45gall drums and a pump. There are some for sale at £7.50 each and I guess there is about 700-800 litres in the tank so a couple of them should do it with 2 runs and that way I can put them in the Discovery. (I think 4 might be a bit too heavy).

Quarrycars

Make sure you don't put any in the Disco's tank, cos that would be illigal ???