News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Broke down today!!!

Started by fullpint, 19, June, 2012, 05:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fullpint

Whilst popping to Melksham Motor spares to pick up a gasket for my son's car (that I was working on) I had a complete electrical failure half-way round the Bowerhill round-a-bout.. Therefore I was stuck hugging the middle.. This is NOT the 1st time its happened but usually you can just go back into re-start mode oush the button and away we go.. NOT TODAY..
An older gent stopped (he owns a 7) and offer to tow me back to my unit. However either of us had a rope  ;D
So he helped push me off the round-a-bout.. After about 15mins though my car thought to its self 'Lets start now'... :P
Off I went towards my workshop only for it to happen again but this time it started up after one go..
Any ideas???? Its a Mk Indy with a blade lump..

And thats not all.. Whilst driving home my drivers side headlight bracket broke  :o Weld failed so had to limp home. Got a mate to see tomorrow who will make me some new ones..
Now do I go for  a drive in a mo???  With no headlights mounts? I'm sure it's legal as long as I get back before 9ish..

stupott901

Hi Steve,

Not good then?

Is it the rectifier as i had that go on my indyblade a couple of times with similar symptons? I had to get a upgraded rectifier

stu

fullpint

Could be but would it not happen all the time? I dont know what the rectifier does!!!! Ive heard that when you have all your lights on then yes it can get hot but various post suggest that when this happens the engine is dead untill a replacement is fitted???
Just taken it out for a 20+ mile blast and it ran with out any issues ::) ::)
Whats the update Stu? I could get one on order just incase. Here a pic of my current one
And YES before anyone makes a comment that is my old bycycle spanner I'm using as a bracket  ;D

stupott901

That looks like it is an upgraded rectifier all ready so most probably not that then,

As far as i know the rectifierconverts AC to DC for the battery.

Have you checked wiring etc to make sure theres not a loose connection?

fullpint

Whilst on tick over ive given all the wires a good old shake and NOTHING  :( :( :( :(

stupott901

Ok out of idea's now

fuel going through ok? Im sure there is tilt switch that cuts off fuel supply on the blade loom or the kick stand switch that cuts fuel supply have these been bypassed ok?

fullpint

Now that sounds like a good idea.. Will have to find a wiring diagram to see where those wires are/colour..

stupott901

I have a Fireblade manual somewhere just don't know where i put it and there was some on locostbuilders forum

'The Gaffer'

Some great ideas from Stu there.

Does every electrical thing shut down or just the engine?

fullpint

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 19, June, 2012, 10:24:40 PM

Every thing mate. The whole lot as if the battery has just fallen off the car!!

YellaBelly

Quote from: fullpint on 19, June, 2012, 07:41:53 PM
And YES before anyone makes a comment that is my old bycycle spanner I'm using as a bracket  ;D

Nothing wrong with a little 'recycling'  :P ;D ;D

Bulldog Bri

I'm sure Pete would aprove of a bracket like that for the weight saving holes.  ;D

8)

fullpint

Quote from: stupott901 on 19, June, 2012, 09:32:55 PM
I have a Fireblade manual somewhere just don't know where i put it and there was some on locostbuilders forum
Got a wiring diagram emailed to me.. I will check out that side stand wiring first and hopefully sort this problem... Will let you know if it's sorted..

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: fullpint on 20, June, 2012, 05:55:42 AM
Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 19, June, 2012, 10:24:40 PM

Every thing mate. The whole lot as if the battery has just fallen off the car!!

Hmmm, if lights and everything fail that would indicate a connection, earthing, or failing battery or charging problem.

fullpint

:( Yep EVERY THING goes dead..... But whats strange is that when it starts back up it turns over just fine so I think the battery and charging system are fine... Got to be a connection. I presume the side stand switch would still give power to the lights but not the coils...
I hate little fault like this. Kind of puts you on egde when over taking  :o

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: fullpint on 21, June, 2012, 12:53:26 PM
:( Yep EVERY THING goes dead..... But whats strange is that when it starts back up it turns over just fine so I think the battery and charging system are fine... Got to be a connection. I presume the side stand switch would still give power to the lights but not the coils...
I hate little fault like this. Kind of puts you on egde when over taking  :o

I would be looking at earthing as that is the common factor to everything. Not 100% sure but I cant imagine side stand switch killing everything.

stupott901

I would be looking at earthing as that is the common factor to everything. Not 100% sure but I cant imagine side stand switch killing everything.

I would agree with the Gaffer there as side stand etc would not kill everything, got to be earth somewhere

fullpint

Well since our weather is total cr*p I thought let go have a play.. A tug here a wiggle there, lots of pulling and the odd jerk or two  ;D :D ;D :D
Te only  wire/connection that gave me a blip was this one;

You could easlier pull it free and this was followed up by total power failure as you would except since its the first main powder connection. In-side looked a little dirty
so I done what I could to clean the terminals. Also used a good old zip-tie to keep the whole thing in place.

Well all I need now is a little sunshine and dry road to test it out. Mind you I think only time will tell if I have cured this little pain in the butt issue  :D
Will keep you posted..

'The Gaffer'

Chances are you have found your problem there. That large connection looks shot away.

The female end of that 4way connector will be quite hard to clean but try and get some thin emery down there. Follow it up with a blast of WD40, that should help keep moisture out.

stupott901

I reckon that could be source of the problem as it is the main fuse