+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Making a start

Started by foggy, 09, February, 2013, 09:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

I thought it was about time that I took the covers off the hood. FIrst things first-new wheel bearings (had a advisory note on the last Mot) so ordered off e bay Friday,arrived Saturday,that  will be put together the next couple of days. Here's a question, when I put it into hibernation everything was working, now I have found that the indicators don' work,hazard light switch  is on ,in the off position,think a bit of moisture has got in there and shorted it  out ,think its the indicated stalk is faulty, but the. engine runs!!LOoks like I got a bit of work to do on the electrics,be back on the road soon.

fullpint

Moisture is a killer. Get some electrical spray stuff to see if that sorts it out!

YellaBelly

Might be worth giving it 10 minutes with a hair dryer first too?

foggy

Cheers guys,I think the switch has gone beyond help.going to  have to find a replacement. Looked on e bay,loads of  wiper/light stalks,not many indicater stalks.

YellaBelly

Try stripping it down then chap. I've done that before on Ford switch gear, just need to be very careful when you open it and keep an eye out for springs and ball bearings!!

You may find a good clean with emery and some vaseline (ooeeer!) will sort it for another few miles yet.

HTH

Grin-a-lot

Quote from: YellaBelly on 11, February, 2013, 09:27:33 PMsome vaseline (ooeeer!) will sort it for another few miles yet.

We are still talking about electricals here aren't we?!

YellaBelly

Hairy Santa

Are you sure, those thoughts had crossed my mind  :D :D :D 

foggy

I'll give that a go,it's a bit too cold down the workshop at the moment,I'll  let you know what happens!

foggy

Checked the switch out to day,took it apart,cleaned  up the small circuit board,but too no avail,will have to get another on.

YellaBelly

Worth a try though mate, shame that.

foggy

After phoning around different scrap yards around the area,I gave the car breakers in Yate a bell,explained I was looking for a Sierra mark1indicator stalk,there was a bit of silence,he said that's going back a bit,I've got a few bits and pieces for old sierra's, you will have to phone me back later and I will have a look,I phoned him back a few hours later and he had found one,I went up there and picked it up,plugged it all in and it works! If I get stuck again,I will go back to him,as he  did take the trouble to find the part.

'The Gaffer'

YellaBelly

Perfect! Yate is not vfery far from me so worth keeping that in mind, difficult to find a 'nice' scrappy ;)