News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Garage recommendation for cambelt change on cyclone

Started by CC Cyclone, 04, March, 2014, 08:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC Cyclone

Hello,
Does anyone have any recommendations for someone localish kit car orientated to change the cambelt on the Vauxhall C20LET engine in the Cyclone?

I have undertaken just about every job thinkable on cars but for some reason never touched changing cambelts. Alternatively if anyone knows the drill and fancies a morning in the garage give me a shout and I can provide cash / cake / tea / beer as required.

I'm in Bath but happy to travel a bit to get it done right.

Robert

Just did mine, I was not happy and nervous but looked on the internet etc. all sounds ok and run as it did. But this was on the Westfield with pinto so everything was easy to get at.
Don't think I would carry this out on someone else's car. I did see some one put up on the net, you cut ½ the cambelt down the middle then cut off. Leaving the inner ½ on, then slide the new one on, once on cut the other ½ off and push the new one on?  Marking your cams with paint just in case.     

Robert

'The Gaffer'

Its not as complicated as it sounds, as mentioned as long as everything is marked and the new belt tension is fine you shouldn't have a problem.

I know a great place in Bristol who look after all our cars and van, They race cars in their spare time. http://pcmotors.co.uk/

SPAXIMUS

If you are not that mechanically minded, then pay some one to do it it is easy to get it one tooth out which is enough to make piston to valve contact. On the Vauxhall engine so long as you have good access it is straight forward to do and any competant garage would be able to do it. A couple I am happy to recommend are station Rd Garage at Corsham and Interpro at Thornbury.
Depending upon the age of the engine it will have either flat tooth or round tooth belt so make sure what you have and insist on a gates belt kit, second choice Dayco third Contitech, do not use cheap bits these three are OE on various manufacturers. Always replace the whole lot, tensioners and idlers as well as the belt. If you do not know the age of the water pump, whilst it is in bits for the extra cost change that as well. They do have a habit of going wrong afte the belt has been changed.