+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Buy or Build

Started by 'The Gaffer', 18, September, 2009, 02:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Ok, I work hard and somtimes it seems I'm still working hard even when I'm supoosed to be relaxing. Thats what comes with running my own company I suppose. And thats my excuse for not wanting to build a kit car.

To be honest, even it wasn't for the above, I would start a build but never finish it, I get distracted to easily :-\ Plus I just like to drive.

I was just interested to see how many people would prefer to buy pre built over building their own car. There is a poll at the top of the page you can vote in and you can add a few words in this thread too if you like as to why you chose 'Build or Buy'

YellaBelly

I really enjoy the building side (most of the time  :P) but can't wait to be able to drive the damn thing!

I voted build, but in truth I would love to buy one and build another (Bulldog ;))

But I'll settle for building knowing that eventually I'll be able to drive it  8).

JB

Richard

I think many reasons go into this, I wanted to build as I'd not done it before and thought it would be good fun, it would have been easy to buy just like all other cars but somehow I felt it wouldn't quite feel the same.
I do think if you can cope with a garage space being taken up with build then it is a fun and interesting way to do it.

One thing that made me a bit dubious about buying a kit car was its history and how it was built etc., however it is instant gratification so can see the appeal, finding time to build is always a challenge with so many demands on time.

So not going to vote as I don't have a strong preference either way.

Furore Phil

Building it is half the fun ! You can make the car exactly as you want it, place the instruments where you want them and add your own style to the car.

I do find it very therapeutic to rip the old donor apart. Had great fun a few years ago taking an angle grinder to an old sierra.

Dixie

I have built 3 cars now, 1 car didnt have SVA, the 2nd had MCSVA because it was a 3 wheeler but it was easy compaired to SVA.

Put a Cobra through SVA, that was tough.  Would I do it again? UUUMM absolutely not ??? Too much red tape etc.  Now we have IVA, which seems a pain in the arse.

My advice would be buy a pre- registered car, completely strip it and re-build it and make it yours. and use that all important V5 to build the car you want.

Just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it!! Nothing. So don't listen to me I'M just a miserable old git.

Mark

'The Gaffer'

Thats not bad advise Mark, will we be seeing you for breakfast tomorrow you miserable old git  ;D

Dixie

Quote from: G & Toniq on 19, September, 2009, 10:43:27 PM
Thats not bad advise Mark, will we be seeing you for breakfast tomorrow you miserable old git  ;D

Sorry Phil, no.  I am off to Goodwood in my RAF uniform ;D

Are you going to speak with Paul about the Christmas meal?  Back in Business next weekend, then car off raod for 5 weeks having a new interior fitted.  Should be ready for Exeter Kit car show.  Have a good day tomorrow.

See you soon.  Mark

Dixie

Quote from: Dixie on 19, September, 2009, 10:51:19 PM
Quote from: G & Toniq on 19, September, 2009, 10:43:27 PM

Sorry Phil, no.  I am off to Goodwood in my RAF uniform ;D

Are you going to speak with Paul about the Christmas meal?  Back in Business next weekend, then car off raod for 5 weeks having a new interior fitted.  Should be ready for Exeter Kit car show.  Have a good day tomorrow.

See you soon.  Mark

Why does nbsp keep coming up on my posts?

'The Gaffer'

Ah yes I remember you saying now sorry.

We must have some pics. Have a good day.

Will have a word with Paul.

nbsp no space between words or two many. Experiment with preview.

Are you using an unusual symbol maybe?

You try to line up your text under a quote, maybe thats why too.
I cant change background colour of quotes just yet so the default text align indentifies your text from the quote

In the case above you applield 2 spaces after your question mark. :)

Test?  Test? Test

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Dixie on 19, September, 2009, 10:30:10 PM
I have built 3 cars now, 1 car didnt have SVA, the 2nd had MCSVA because it was a 3 wheeler but it was easy compaired to SVA.

Put a Cobra through SVA, that was tough.  Would I do it again? UUUMM absolutely not ??? Too much red tape etc.  Now we have IVA, which seems a pain in the arse.

My advice would be buy a pre- registered car, completely strip it and re-build it and make it yours. and use that all important V5 to build the car you want.

Just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it!! Nothing. So don't listen to me I'M just a miserable old git.

Mark

I used to build , from the age of 15 onwards, also a few rebuilds -- tritons, norvin, V4 triton, cortina 1600E, SS Jaguars, Mk10 Jags, AEM Scout, that I can recall off the top of my head, but now I am getting on a bit and feel, let someone else build and I will try a sort the probs out if there are any and also put my own stamp on it if possible

As Mark has said above these tests now are a right pain, necessary yes but still a pain and expensive (excessively) so unless you get your kicks from the build --BUY

And Mark is also 100% right on the on the second part of his last paragraph. (I concur wholeheartedly)  ;D   :D  ;) 

'The Gaffer'

I actually like the idea of rebuilding an already built car, never thoughi't I'd say that :o

Bulldog Bri

Now these test's have got so involed I to will only be doing ready built cars from now on. I've really enjoyed the builds I've done but as with everything now the burocrats have taken the fun out of it as they just see it as another way of screwing us for more money!!!  >:( Yes the cars do need to be tested but really too this extreme? Next we'll have to build and 'Ncap' them as well

I will finish the one I've started, as I've put so much effort into it and want to see it on the road.

These eurocrats don't appreciate they could be killing another whole market as less people will be prepared to go through with these tests!

Again just an opinion...

8)

gingerpaul

I enjoyed the build process but for me to do it again it'd have to be for something very special. I'd rather build a kit car rather than buy one second hand because I will know how it went together. With a production car you can buy and manual but in a kit car something could be glued, riveted, sealed, bolted, taped or clipped and you wouldn't necessarily know until you break something.

Plus if you build it yourself you can add the little things that make all the difference. Mine has comfy seats, is almost completely waterproof even in a monsoon and has a big boot for example. Soon it'll be getting a decent heater too.

Furore Phil

Hmm, didn't think there was this much call for pre-built cars.

Heck - when I've finished this one I might have to offer my services out as a build agent !

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Phil on 20, September, 2009, 08:37:31 PM
Hmm, didn't think there was this much call for pre-built cars.

Heck - when I've finished this one I might have to offer my services out as a build agent !

I think the new test is putting a lot of people off. I'm sure you could have a full time job building other peoples cars Phil.

Dont forget to vote in the poll folks at the top of the page.

Richard

OK so IVA is a tougher but in some ways if you start with IVA as the test in mind then I thin kit is fair enough. It is just like other tests / regulations in that respect, what is a bit annoying is it changing as you go along so your expectations aren't met. Plus the incremental cost on the lower cost builds is pretty high as a percentage so for those on a tight budget it is not insignificant so may stop some who would build from not doing so.

Ideally of course we'd all have tonnes of space for builds and buys and no restrictions like time for work or amount to spend or other little interruptions that come along in life.

YellaBelly

Quote from: bulldog bri on 19, September, 2009, 11:30:19 PM
These eurocrats don't appreciate they could be killing another whole market as less people will be prepared to go through with these tests!

Good point Bri, but I think they knew exactly what they were doing with the introduction of the new test. My belief is that the wanted to stop the building, probably back-handers involved with the car industry! (Just 'cos you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they are not after you :o)

Again, just my opinion of course :D

JB

aliwizard

build your own ,then you can do things your own way to many things wrong with my car and for the money paid ,it is makes me a bit upset the next one will be home built cheers nick.

David H

Quote from: aliwizard on 03, October, 2009, 07:23:14 PM
build your own ,then you can do things your own way to many things wrong with my car and for the money paid ,it is makes me a bit upset the next one will be home built cheers nick.

For your level of quality control, making your own would be the only way. Kits are just not at that level. Somebody will get a result when they buy it Nick!

WALNUT

I Voted build, eventhough I bought both my kits. I like driving my car, but can imagine that extra buzz knowing you built what you are driving.

Tony

andygtm

I would love to build one in the future but I voted to buy.

WALNUT

Build or buy, only one way to find out...................fight

Tony