News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New bits and pieces

Started by 'The Gaffer', 29, September, 2009, 10:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Just ordered some new wheels and tyres. New from Team Dynamics, the Pro Race 3's in anthricite and Toyo R888's medium compound.

I'm hoping the wheels will compliment my car.

Also bought a trickshifter kit to complement my Kliktronic gearchange unit. The trickshifter will allow me to do clutchless gearchanges up and down the box with an auto blip on down shifts. Gearchanges in milliseconds from my steering wheel buttons :o 8)

Both Trickshifter and kliktronics have been very helpful and look out for a write up once all fitted and connected up.

gingerpaul

Just a quick word of warning about the tyres. They're the same I have and they're a bit sketchy in the cold. Toyo reckon they have about 40% of their normal grip below 7C. Having spun my car at 30mph on a straight dual carriageway I'd agree!

Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you were expecting to use your car all through the winter on them!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: gingerpaul on 29, September, 2009, 11:14:15 PM
Just a quick word of warning about the tyres. They're the same I have and they're a bit sketchy in the cold. Toyo reckon they have about 40% of their normal grip below 7C. Having spun my car at 30mph on a straight dual carriageway I'd agree!

Blimey :o Yes I am going to be using the car over the winter. What about when the tyres warm up a bit, does that increase the grip percentage?

YellaBelly

You need to find some more spare cash then Phil so you can buy some tyre warmers! ;) :D

David H

yes it does. The warmer the tyre, the better they are until they get too hot. The medium compound seems to be the best 888 for all round use.

I was told my AO48s (same as 888s) would be really bad in the wet. I'm enclined to disagree, they did a wet week in France and seemed quite good for a semi slick.

I might be worried if i had a V8 with loads of torque in cold or wet conditions but a light high revving lower torque bike engine powered car will probably be better. (suspension set up may play a part also)

The solution... buy more wheels and tyres for all occasions. Reality.... not happening due to cost and faff, just try and be careful.

NICE WHEELS YOU HAVE THERE!

David H

Tyre warmers. Thats the way forward!!!

gingerpaul

It's hard to get them fully up to temperature on the road. The only time I've managed it was on the twisty mountain roads northern Spain at 40C. It was a complete revelation because it was the first time I'd experienced what they could really do. I'm sure if you were doing a track day you'd get them working but I definitely wouldn't use them over winter, having tried it. I'm actually looking at wheels and all weather tyres on ebay in case I want to use it over this winter. They only need to be some 15" cheapies.

In terms of rain, their performance is excellent for what they are. I have been out in monsoons in mine and it has been fine, although obviously it will aquaplane at slower speeds than a normal tyre. They only come with 5mm of tread when they're new and if you look at the tread pattern that shouldn't be a great shock. The worst I've had was when I was on the way to catch a ferry and couldn't go above about 45 on the motorway at some points as it was raining so hard, but the cars around me weren't going faster than about 60 so normal tyres would have struggled too considering how light my car is.

If you photo Toyo there is a technical guru in their office somewhere and he reckoned wet weather peformance will increase if you can get some temperature into the tyres (!). Rather than looking like an F1 car on the formation lap I just drive to the conditions.   ;D

PhilW

PhilW

Quote from: G & Toniq on 29, September, 2009, 10:34:54 PM
Just ordered some new wheels and tyres. New from Team Dynamics, the Pro Race 3's in anthricite and Toyo R888's medium compound.

I'm hoping the wheels will compliment my car.

Also bought a trickshifter kit to complement my Kliktronic gearchange unit. The trickshifter will allow me to do clutchless gearchanges up and down the box with an auto blip on down shifts. Gearchanges in milliseconds from my steering wheel buttons :o 8)

Both Trickshifter and kliktronics have been very helpful and look out for a write up once all fitted and connected up.

Very nice, should set the car off nicely, any idea of weight? and the Trickshifter will make a huge difference, we will struggle to catch you now.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: PhilW on 30, September, 2009, 04:47:48 PM
Very nice, should set the car off nicely, any idea of weight? and the Trickshifter will make a huge difference, we will struggle to catch you now.

7.2kgs per wheel Phil.
Haha I dont think so mate, Trickshifter will be fun to use regardless ;D

PhilW

7.2kgs per wheel Phil.

Christ :o I did'nt think the used lead for making wheels anymore, i take it thats the heaviest you could find ;D ;D

'The Gaffer'

They are actually lighter than my existing 17" Prorace 2's ;D ;)

David H

Quote from: PhilW on 30, September, 2009, 06:23:20 PM
7.2kgs per wheel Phil.

Christ :o I did'nt think the used lead for making wheels anymore, i take it thats the heaviest you could find ;D ;D

Lead is the new alloy, bends back nicely with a hammer after a ding. Everyone's doing it now.

Speedy J

I like your new wheels Phil they will look nice on the car