+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Car Security

Started by paintman, 21, January, 2010, 11:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintman

I need some security on the Hood before putting it on the road in the Spring.....any ideas? ::)

'The Gaffer'

Best one is a removable steering wheel if possible.

Alarm and immobiliser if it can be integrated. Easiest one would be a battery isolator with a big red key.

'Mendip Wurzel'

I have a battery immobiliser switch hidden under the dash which cost me less than a fiver on ebay. I like battery immobiliser because they stop the car catching fire when I park, due to electrical faults.
I also carry a lightweight baseball bat type steering lock which cost about £10 on ebay.

The problem with all of this is it takes me so long to park the car, turning off this and that, that everybody has gone home before I get into the venue.

Kevin

Furore Phil

I had a really cool one on my old TR7 (metalic gold it was). As it was a softtop, i got one that had a microwave transmitter built in. That means it could detect if anyone leaned into the car or got too close, but wasn't set off by the wind.

What was really cool was that it had a built in voice ! It would say "System Armed" instead of beeping and would warn you if you got too close to the car ! Voice was sexy too.

Ona a side note - how do you fellow soft top owners stop people nicking your tax disk or tickets for car parks ?

paintman

Bl**dy Hell....excuse my French.   I never thought of that!! :o :o

That's a serious problem that you can't do much about surely.   If you leave the disc in the car it could cost you and if you take it with you it could cost you!! :o :

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 23, January, 2010, 12:08:28 AM
If you leave the disc in the car it could cost you and if you take it with you it could cost you!! :o :

I have an aluminium tax disc holder that is secures to the chassis using a security type bolt. The disc is behind glass held down by about 8 allen bolts.

Ok, if you really wanted it you would just rip the holder out but it wouldent be that easy and I dont think too many people would bother.

As far as car park tickets, I just take the risk, really not much you can do. If I used car parks a lot then I would fabricate a sort of perspex holder that would deter the opportunist.

Richard

In car parks take quick photo of your reg with ticket on phone, evidence should it be needed, if risk materialises.

Seen a few adverts for sticky screen tax holders from I think it was Total Kit Car, not sure on their effectiveness though.

paintman

The camera idea is good but I think I would avoid a multi storey car park. ::)

I used to have a 406 estate car that was imported from South Africa.  It had a gearstick lock on it which basically bolted the gearstick to a 1/2 inch steel bar joined to the under side of the car!  Very common over there evidently but a bit overkill.