News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Starcom intercom system group buy?

Started by 'The Gaffer', 25, October, 2010, 02:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

I was very impressed with Ace Fettlers intercom system and am seriuosly thinking of buying one.
As a club we may have some buying power using a 'group buy'

Normal retail pricing starts at just £129.97 (Sole driver) inc vat.

Great for helmet wearers or just glasses and beanie wearers alike.

Features include..
Driver to passenger hands free and natural conversation.. Just talk!
Car-to-Car communication, vox (voice controlled) or PTT (push-to-talk) using standard PMR Walkie talkies.
Stereo music, at CD quality, from any portable music system.
Mobile phone. Enjoy a normal phone conversation at speed..  Totally hands free
Satellite Navigation or radar, allows voice commands to be heard clearly
High speed clear communication.

Huge choice of headsets and specifications.

See http://www.starcom1.com/therange.htm

Is anyone else is interested in one of these units?

robp

Yes, this unit has excellent reviews.  Interested.

I'm unclear about the Bluetooth capability of the Starcom.  The main appeal for me about this system is to listen to music, hear the satnav and have clear telephone calls.  All of this can be done over Bluetooth.  Saves a load of wiring in the car.  The intercom system is useful but I won't use that as often.

David H

It weighs too much Phil. Do they do a carbon one?

'Mendip Wurzel'

I don't know much about these things but I'm assuming you need a Walkie Talkie in addition to the Starcom unit. So if I'm not wearing a helmet could I communicate with other Starcom cars with just the Walkie Talkie or do I also need to purchase the Starcom Unit?

I suppose what I am asking is how can non helmet wearers communicate with other cars.   

robp

You could just use a Walkie Talkie, except that's not handsfree and the main thing about the Starcom1 is it's excellent noise canceling functions.  Try talking at 70mph in an open car; no probs with Starcom.

Ace Fettler

To clarify chaps, you will need a PMR446 walkie talkie in addition to the starcom unit. Mendip - most PMR radios will accept earpieces and throat mics to enable hands free coms without the starcom unit. Alternativly the pit crew style headphones and boom mic are an alternative. see hear http://www.intaride.com/parts.html hope this helps.  :D

Richard

mattsmev

I also have a starcom fitted to my car, I love it.  I had another system previously but I am so glad I upgraded.  I have a PMR446 walkie talkie fitted behind the passenger head rest as well.  The arial is close to the top of the car. 
On Saterday I was able to tell Ace Fettler that we had pulled off to pick up some more cars when he found himself in front of the convoy, it really helps to be able to communicate.

Cheers

Mattsmev