News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

A Week driving in France

Started by David H, 21, September, 2009, 08:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David H

I've just got back from a week's driving in France and it looks like England stole the good weather! It belted it down in France for most of the week so you can imagine how wet things got. Despite that me and the old man had a very good drive. We covered 1000 miles on some of the finest roads. French roads are second to none and go on for miles. Its easily the best driving experience outside of a track that I have had and god only knows what it would have been like if the weather had been good. The French know how to a/  build a road and b/ look after it.

I'm going to organise a 3/4 day trip over there for next year possibly avoiding the Le Mans etc as the roads are so busy (maybe not, depending?) It would be interesting to know how many people would be interested so i can check out hotels etc. 

We stayed in one great hotel which was 50 euro for a room for a night with its own courtyard, restaurant, pool table, bar etc that was stuck firmly in the late 70's. Perfect. They are no strangers to people coming from England just to drive and the car park means you can park your car outside your room. It would be easy to form a base here for a long weekend and have the run of it. Some piccies below

Dixie

Hi Dave.

Yea I would love to do it, at only 20 miles per gallon I better start saving.

I am certainly interested.

Mark

PhilW

Quote from: Dixie on 21, September, 2009, 09:09:31 PM
Hi Dave.

Yea I would love to do it, at only 20 miles per gallon I better start saving.

I am certainly interested.

Mark

20 mpg thats only 4 less than mine.

Bulldog Bri

How far south did you go? or did you stay in one area and do daily excurtions from that base...

8)

PhilW

I may be interested, i was looking at this earlier in the year

http://www.frenchblat.com/

Bulldog Bri

Nice one Phil.. I've added that one to my Fav's  ;D

Think a club holiday is gonna be on the cards next year... Did a couple with the Bulldogs 20 years ago great fun and the French do love to see the cars, big crowds where ever we stopped...

8)

gingerpaul

A few friends and I did a 3000 mile blat around Europe back in June. I'd highly recommend it. Mine was by far the least practical though. I think I'd be more fun with a group of people in the same situation.

I keep meaning to do a small write up for the Dax Owners Club forum about it. If I do I'll post it up here too.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Nice one Dave, great pics too.

Shame about the weather, but as long as you had a great time thats all that counts.

Roll on next summer :)

Richard

Fantastic time, one you will remember for a long time yet.

YellaBelly

Good to see :)

Who knows, on day we may have a BKCC long weekend in Europe?

If I ever finish my car I may even be able to make it too! :D

David H

We got the ferry from Poole to Cherberg and basically drove to Tours via Le Mans. It was a little wet so we chilled for a day then went over to Angers and around little villages near there. Then we made our way back another route to make a loop. I carefully mapped out the roads we drove and if i could i turned back on a duff road to find a better one. This meant i have a good quality run for next time. I spent some time hitting the floor on the bumpier roads and my loop under the gear box is now flat. I wanted it flat anyway so its saved me a job but i would avoid those roads next time.

It would have been great to have had a few more cars but we left in such short notice it was impossible but next year would be a hoot to have a few more going.

We can take a look at my route and other routes people have driven and make a plan.

David H

20 - 22 miles per gallon. It was the first journey i've ever bothered to calculate it in 2 years. I was quite pleased but in all honesty i dont care as i would have bought a diesel westy if i did (dont mean to be non pc but...). They also love their 98ron out there and car seamed to like it.

A picture of the old man tucking into his wine.....and we're not even in france by this point.

reluctant

Just come back from a week down at the bottom end of france. The guild of motor endurance sports car challenge. Started in Clermont Ferrand, through the Massif Central, down to Catelunia and then through the pyrenees to Beritz. 1000 competitive miles of pure driving heaven. good weather, great competitors and fantastic mountain roads. A bit far for a long weekend though!

Martin.

gingerpaul

Quote from: reluctant on 25, September, 2009, 09:22:16 PM
Just come back from a week down at the bottom end of france. The guild of motor endurance sports car challenge. Started in Clermont Ferrand, through the Massif Central, down to Catelunia and then through the pyrenees to Beritz. 1000 competitive miles of pure driving heaven. good weather, great competitors and fantastic mountain roads. A bit far for a long weekend though!

Martin.

We would have done some of the same roads!

'The Gaffer'

Martin.

Nice to have you back Martin. Glad you had a good time. These French roads do sound the business.

David H

Martin.

That sounds ace. Thats a step up and i'm interested in that

Richard

Martin, sounds a superb trip !

You pair of gallivants  ;D