News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Greetings!

Started by benhardt57, 05, October, 2011, 10:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: benhardt57 on 06, November, 2011, 01:11:47 AM

A little update.

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say you were going backwards now. The above design was working for me short of the sad face.

TimC

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 18, October, 2011, 11:00:17 PM
Nice car there Tim :)

I should point out that the one pictured isn't my car - mine currently looks like a climbing frame - although the bodywork is being ordered next week.

'The Gaffer'

Ah, I'm sure yours will look better Tim when finished :)

benhardt57

Some pictures for size comparison. 2010 Viper and 2005 Corvette

benhardt57

Time for an overdue update.
My project seemed stalled at times, but I managed to put in a good effort the last two months to finish my quarter scale model.  Opinions have been mostly positive. Next stop: the steel fabricator to discuss the chassis.
Let me know what you think. Opinions have played an important role in the way it has taken shape.

bluehornetrider

What sort of power to weight are you looking at?  Are you after British lightweight and handling or USA muscle?  I know a few US owners of old British sports cars are nervous as the big 4X4's can't or don't see them!  Looks quick in the pictures, have you thought about making the headlights flush? 

benhardt57

I would love to have the car end up at 1100 kg. And it's being designed to carry any of the Chevrolet aluminum block LS V8s. The horsepower range on those is, I don't know, 250 to ridiculous (with modifications).  I have in mind an agile road car, not a drag strip car. And yes, it sits quite low, but should be at least as safe as your average Kawasaki or Harley, and there are plenty of those guys on the road. Besides, the roads in the US aren't like they were 10 years ago where every other vehicle was an SUV. We're getting smaller here too.

Yes, I have thought about clear headlight covers. That'll be a detail to work out further down the road.

Thanks for your input.

bluehornetrider

at 1100kg your engine and gearbox will be about 80% of that weight, I really like the look of the Coyote engine but they cost a packet, if your trying to go light why not a bike engine, a big boss hoss engine would fit lovely! :P

benhardt57

I imagine Chevy LS engines would be expensive there, but here you can get new crate engines for less than $6000. And with a little effort, could find one at a salvage yard for less than a thousand. Also, they weigh around 230 kg. 

This Tremec TKO 5 speed weighs about 44 kg

Now that Viper engine in your picture is gonna cost a bunch. They're not that common.

'The Gaffer'

I really like the design now.