Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Calne Bike Day - near Chippenham - saturday 23rd July. BECs Only

Started by Mike the Bike, 05, June, 2011, 11:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Mike the Bike

Hi guys.
The Calne Bike Show has been run every year for eleven years now, and is free to get in as it takes place in the middle of the town of Calne, which has the busy A4 passing right through the centre of it. So the bike show is right on the A4. The event is organised by the Rotary Club and the whole town is taken over by hundreds of bikes, trikes and people.
Various bike clubs have stands showing all manner of classic and modern bikes and trikes. I've showed bikes there myself over the years.

I'm thinking it would be fantastic to get a little display of bike-engined-cars (BECs). I have a ZZR1100 engined Locost, and will be there myself with it. I attracted a lot of attention last year when I blasted her through town late in the afternoon. I had been at work most of the day.

There will be a few motorcycle trade stands at the show, plus all the shops, cafes and pubs will be open, and best of all the show is free.

So if anyone is interested in getting together a semi organised parking area of BECs please let me know and I can get it arranged.

I must add that unlike a lot of shows we can come and go as we please. Just be aware of very limited parking.

Calne is just a couple of miles east of Chippenham on the A4 and not too far from J17 M4.    http://calnebikes.freehostia.com/  for Calne Bike day site

'The Gaffer'

Thanks for posting up Mike.

This could be of interest to our BEC brigade :)

I have added as a calendar event.

Hairy Santa

I like the sound of this if a spot could be arranged, and could be interested dependant on weather and hwmbo wanting to go, would make a nice runout

Daley Down Under

peetee

Mike the Bike

Looking good already then..

My mate's missus has a vet's surgery at the top end of Calne. It has it's own car park and would be a great spot for 8 or 10 cars for our own little show area.

I saw your car at Sherston yesterday Santa. The bikers would LOVE it. So would I actually. I want to see it with the bonnet off soon though.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Mike the Bike on 05, June, 2011, 09:08:25 PM
Looking good already then..

My mate's missus has a vet's surgery at the top end of Calne. It has it's own car park and would be a great spot for 8 or 10 cars for our own little show area.

I saw your car at Sherston yesterday Santa. The bikers would LOVE it. So would I actually. I want to see it with the bonnet off soon though.

no probs - but you havn't told us the most important thing yet  - where are the decent cafe's for a good breakfast ;)

Furore Phil

Hmm as I live in Calne and I've been to the last few I think I'll be going to this one ! - better check with the missus first to see we haven't booked that date for something else first.

I'm not into bikes, but I have always enjoyed the event (the wife was a mod and loves scooters). every kind of bike will be there from massively over powerful super bikes to ancient antique motorcross bikes, custom works of art, scuzzy junkers that are still loved, many many harleys, trikes and plane old commuters.

You do get the rough greasy hells angles types there, but without fail they have always been the nicest of guys, happy to answer questions from the kids and me.

There will be the usual porta caf's and the pubs are open (plastic cups though). Some stalls last year, up the back of town near sainsbury's. If you are on a bike you can park pretty much anywhere, even on the paths, if you leave space for pedestrians. Be prepared for some noisy bikes and maybe even an open air band. There will be police, but they will be showing off their bikes !

If you are driving a normal car then parking could be a problem. Most of the normal car parks will probably have stalls in them.

Couple of pics attached...

Denzle

Would like to try and make this one, but not sure at the mo.

denzle... ;)

YZFMINI

this sound good.
But
Do i take my bike or my bike powered mini   !!!!!!!!!!!

Daley Down Under

Quote from: YZFMINI on 07, June, 2011, 09:46:53 PM
this sound good.
But

Colin,

Nice to have the choice

Adrian

Hairy Santa

Quote from: YZFMINI on 07, June, 2011, 09:46:53 PM
this sound good.
But

didn't think about the bikes - now have the same thoughts 

'The Gaffer'

Mike the Bike

Last year's event ended with an organised motorcycle convoy to nearby Bowood House for an aerial photograph of all of the bikes. The organisers promise something equally interesting for this year.

I'm thinking if I can sort out a suitable parking area for us we could have a little BEC convoy through town at 2 or 3 o'clock and return back to our spot.

Part of the show is held in the gardens of old peoples retirement flats and it's quite common to see little old ladies being taken out for a spin on trikes ridden by greasy bikers. Very bizarre but the whole town joins in the fun.

Mike the Bike

I just had confirmation that we can use the garage forecourt of Cyril H Thomas at the top end of Calne. There's room for 7 cars. And also the car park of the vet practice next door but not until after it closes at lunchtime. Also there is space on the pavement opposite the garage forecourt but we need to be there by 8 am to blah it before the bikers.

I must remind everyone that this is all free of charge. So is the show.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Mike the Bike on 08, June, 2011, 01:30:07 PM
I just had confirmation that we can use the garage forecourt of Cyril H Thomas at the top end of Calne. There's room for 7 cars. And also the car park of the vet practice next door but not until after it closes at lunchtime. Also there is space on the pavement opposite the garage forecourt but we need to be there by 8 am to blah it before the bikers.

I will be there, dependant on the weather, will prob come up with Colin (YZF mini)

ye Phil I will be in the car, to far for a old bugger like me on the bike  8)   <3

Daley Down Under

peetee

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 08, June, 2011, 03:45:25 PM
Quote from: Mike the Bike on 08, June, 2011, 01:30:07 PM

I will be there, dependant on the weather, will prob come up with Colin (YZF mini)

ye Phil I will be in the car, to far for a old bugger like me on the bike  8)   <3

Mike, yep me too, as above. Well, the weather bit anyway! Cheers, Pete

Furore Phil

Just got the thumbs up from er-in-doors, we are going !

Ok, we'll be walking into town - don't think I could get the kids to push me in the part completed car !

I think everyone would be ok for non-bec's to turn up (depending on space). I think there was an aerial atom there last year.

Mike the Bike

So who do we have so far then?
Me - Mike - Locost ZZR1100
Santa - Dax Busa Turbo
Phil - YZF1000 Mini
Peetee - Dax?
Marlboro Car - Radical?
Denzle - ?
Phil - Furore?  Can we tow it round the corner Phil?

Fill in the details on your cars guys as I'm not sure what cars and engines you're all running.

Anyone else up for it yet?

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Mike the Bike on 16, June, 2011, 10:25:52 PM
Santa - Dax Busa Turbo
Phil - YZF1000 Mini
Peetee - Dax?
Marlboro Car - Radical?
Denzle - ?

Fill in the details on your cars guys as I'm not sure what cars and engines you're all running.

Its not Phil with the Mini but Colin  - but he does answer to most names you call him  ;)

Furore Phil

peetee

Daley Down Under

Mike,

Good guess but not a Radical.  The Marlboro Car is a Spire GTR running a supercharged ZZR1400 motor.

Adrian

Mike the Bike

Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda and yamaha represented then. Cool.

From my past experiences of showing my bikes, people will be keen to see engines so parking with bonnets open would be good, and an A4 sized spec sheet about each car.
Does anyone know if the Bristol Kitcar Club has a banner or flag that we could display?

And Phil, you have a month to fix yer brakes and I will tow you round the corner on show day.

Mike the Bike

Hi again guys
I've finally had a reply from the event organisers. I needed their approval before I gatecrashed their bike show with cars!!! 8)
I missunderstood that the garage was open till 12 - thought it was closed all day - so this alters my plans a bit.
This email is between organisers of the event, then passed on to me as a reply to my question. Rob Curtis is my mate who lives at the vet surgery next to the garage:-

Hi Sue,

I have checked details with Keith Thomas of Thomas Garage who confirms that he agreed with Mr Rob Curtiss that they could use his forecourt after the garage closes at 12.00 Midday but will not take any responsibility for insurance or public liability.
The Calne Rotary Motorcycle Meet have no objection to them using this site to display their vehicles but cannot take any responsibility for them as part of the event. They must provide their own Marshal and be sure to claim their site before 12.00 midday as it will soon get filled up with Bikes! I suggest they tape it off as soon as the Garage closes.
They should confirm with Keith Thomas that they are attending 01249 814455 and if they wish contact me on 01249 813168 if they have any queries. Our Marshals will be aware. We also apologise for not returning their call on the website phone

Regards  Ivor Watkins The Rotary Club of Calne

My original plan was that we (or I) would need to arrive at 8am to secure the spot and tape it off. Then we could have had a cruise through the town in the middle of the day and returned to our spot and park up again.

However, now I have this new information, I have to go to plan B.
We can gather at a pub on the outskirts of Calne (Black Horse at Cherhill) between 11 and 11.30 and drive down to our spot at 12 and park up. This would mean driving through the whole length of the bike show in the town in convoy (the main road remains open the whole day). I feel this would be very high on the scale of cool things to do.  8) 8) 8)
Or we can gather at a pub at the other end of Calne (Lysley Arms Chippenham) and slip fairly quietly into our spot, because our spot is at the west end of the town.
Your call.

The later start time would be beneficial to those of you living further away and we will still have plenty of time to walk about and take in the whole show.

I'm obviously now after feedback from you guys before I have a final one-to-one with Keith Thomas. (He rallies an expensively modified 4x4, and is definitely a dedicated petrol head and up for us using his forecourt.)

Only kidding about your Furore Phil. Let me know if you want a ride in my car and I'll nip over from Seend to see you. It's massive inspiration to get a ride in another kit car. Just let me know.

Daley Down Under

Mike,

Mention my name with Keith Thomas - I was in Devizes and District Motor Club for years with him in the 80s and 90s.

Adrian Tillin

Mike the Bike

Will do Adrian. I will try and persuade him to come along and get some pics of us on his forecourt. Would look great on the wall in the showroom.

RMW50

Quote from: Mike the Bike on 16, June, 2011, 10:25:52 PM
Santa - Dax Busa Turbo
Phil - YZF1000 Mini
Peetee - Dax?
Marlboro Car - Radical?
Denzle - ?

I will try my best to get along to this (although I am running out of weekend fast at the moment!), I have a Stuart Taylor Motorsport with a Fireblade engine.

Not too sure about the quiet option on making an enterance, I can't really do quiet...

Rich

Furore Phil

Quote from: Mike the Bike on 26, June, 2011, 10:25:00 AM
Only kidding about your Furore Phil. Let me know if you want a ride in my car and I'll nip over from Seend to see you. It's massive inspiration to get a ride in another kit car. Just let me know.

It's ok I thought you were. It'll hopefully be there next year though!

Mike the Bike

Hi Rich
This event will be well worth wasting a Saturday on. When I drove through last year on my own I attracted plenty of attention so I would imagine a convoy of us would be pretty full-on.

Mike the Bike

Busy morning for me today.
Took the Locost over to see Kieth Thomas about using his forecourt on Calne Bike Day. As stated before he said he has no problem at all.
He says he pulls all of his cars inside and locks up at midday, and warns us to be organised quickly as the bikers will normally start filling his forecourt with bikes, so we need to
keep this in mind and be ready for it.
I mentioned your name Adrian, and Kieth looked puzzled. I the said about Devizes and District motor club and that seemed to light a little spark in his head.

Then I flipped across to Melksham for the Locost MOT. Straight through for the second year running.  :P The mechanics were all over it, asking questions and giving approval.

Had a big discussion with a guy digging a hole in the road about the lagalities of wearing a crash helmet while driving a car. He wasn't backing down, so I closed the conversation
with "they'll have to catch me first" and bolted off into the traffic.

3 weeks till show day guys.  8)

Mike the Bike

Six days till the bike show.
Hopefully you guys are still up for it if the weather is good on the day. The long range forecast just said we have showers everyday till friday, but we all know how that can change
from day to day.
I still have a loose plan for us to gather in a pub at 11am and drive down to the show position in convoy around noon. The 2 pubs I have in mind are the Black Horse at Cherhill, to the East of Calne and The Lysley Arms at Chippenham to the West of Calne. Both pubs have ample parking and both on the A4. The Black Horse would be my favourite as it means we would drive in convoy through the show as our spot is at the other end of the town.
We will need to have someone at the garage forecourt where we will be parking our cars at noon to put out cones and tape to stop the bikers grabbing the spot. I can arrange that.

Let me know who is still coming and where you are coming in from. Maybe we can arrange for people to meet up on the way and come in together.
Any other ideas? I'm all ears.

And if anyone wants to meet up during the week to break the ice, I'm up for that too.
I live near Melksham and I'm working in Bath if it's any use to anyone.

Daley Down Under

Sorry guys,

It's a no show from me now.  I'm required for the weekend at my sister in laws in Romsey

Have a good day out

Adrian

Hairy Santa

Still sounds good to me  - lets hope the weather is on our side  :)

Mike the Bike

Surely not just the two of us?  ;)
I just checked the weather forecast for tomorrow and it's currently saying showers. That could change though, hopefully.

RMW50

Mike,

It is a sorry from me too unfortunately, work has gone through the roof and I wont be able to make it, I hope that you have a good day.

Rich

'Mendip Wurzel'

I'm assuming this is only BECs that can attend, as this is obvioulsy a big limiting factor for most of the membership.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: 'Mendip Wursel' on 22, July, 2011, 11:35:29 AM
I'm assuming this is only BECs that can attend, as this is obvioulsy a big limiting factor for most of the membership.

ye think your right there  -  but might need you as well due to the numbers not coming now to fill up the space - he he - gonna be a good show I recon

weather doesn't look to good at the moment either, but will see what it's like in the morning

Why not give Mike the Bike a shout, see what he says

Mike the Bike

Its a strange show really. Hundreds of bikes and bikers, and totally free and come and go as you please because its in the open streets in the town of Calne.
I was being a bit cheeky by organising bike engined cars to attend, but they are kind of 4 wheeled motorbikes in a way. I arranged somewhere for us to park
and asked for approval from the show organisers. However they can't really stop anyone turning up with cars, vans or lorries really because its a free for all.
They have told me that we are not technically part of the bike show, put I do kinda have their approval to be there.

Stick some Yamaha stickers on yer V8 rocker boxes Wurzel and sneak in with us. :P

I only asked for BECs so as not to offend the bikers, and I think our cars will generate a lot of interest.

It's a great show to visit anyway, so bring your CECs and park on the edge of town. Good family day out.

Anyone showing their BECs, you don't need to stay in attendance with your car. Just park on our plot and go enjoy the show.