Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Next club meet - BUT WHERE???

Started by 'The Gaffer', 23, June, 2011, 03:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

Hi all.

A change is as good as a rest so I am advocating a new venue for our second Sunday meets.

In my humble opinion the Lock Keeper is not really suited to our needs - My reasoning?

The car park is too busy and accidents can happen (As I found out)
We cannot park together, I think this helps create a presence - no good for photo's either or welcoming new members or guests
The nearby river stinks sometimes making me quite quesy
Car park is sometimes dark and dingy, personally I don't really like the atmosphere there at all
And the biggest sin of all? - they ran out of chips!!!!

While we are on the subject, there was quite a positive email response about a additional second monthly evening meet,  I am all for this and suggest the 4th Thursday of the month.

For both meets, I am open to location suggestions so get your thinking caps on.

Prerequisites include maybe rural spot with a view, big bright car park, decent food and drink etc etc. Maybe North and South Bristol?

Look forward to your suggestions...

Grin-a-lot

I'll get the ball rolling with these North Bristol suggestions then:

The Bowl Inn at Almondsbury. Reasonable car park surrounded by a stone wall, great food, nice real ales.  But... Limited seating outside, some of the roads as you approach are narrow and residential, would the noise annoy the locals? Also car parking £1 but that's recoverable if you buy food or maybe drink.

Willy Wicket, Downend. Big open car park, not sure about seating arrangements. Mainstream pub so average fodder.  Next to A4174 ringroad so good access.  No nice views though.

Other thoughts include the Codrington Arms, not far from J18 M4, nice pub, small-ish car park, rural setting.

Also The Swan at Tockington. Big-ish garden, carpark at back of pub, nice ales and food.

Sumov8

There is the Ship on the A38 by the Thornbury turn off, good ale and food
very large car park, nice runs down through the lanes towards the old severn bridge :o

Denzle

Quote from: Sumov8 on 23, June, 2011, 10:37:26 PM
There is the Ship on the A38 by the Thornbury turn off, good ale and food
very large car park, nice runs down through the lanes towards the old severn bridge :o

Thats OK for you lads, but its better if you could pick something to the North so us foreigners can come to a meet.   Ive got my passport.

Denzle.... :-*

robp

Happy with any of those suggestions so far.  Couple of others...

(1) Bull in Hinton. Good grub, landlord happy for meetings, free private function room to rear, hillclimb track nearby ( ::)).  Carpark not massive though.
(2) Crosshands in Old Sodbury.  Massive carpark and good location for drive to other pubs.

paintman

It would be nice to have a meet in Bath for a change......nice pub down by the Toll Bridge with huge carpark and the canal next to it.

Tony

Hairy Santa

All the meeting points so far look good, evenings yes, but there was talk of afternoon meets on a Sunday, anyone have thoughts on this at all, I think this could attract a few more people to attend the meets
I will travel anywhere and normally do but please consider the distance that some of the members will have to travel if you make it to far off the centre line of Bristol both north and south,  this is the BRISTOL kit car club, and not the Gloucester or Somerset club after all
just my thoughts

paintman

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 24, June, 2011, 10:50:43 PM
All the meeting points so far look good, evenings yes, but there was talk of afternoon meets on a Sunday, anyone have thoughts on this at all, I think this could attract a few more people to attend the meets
I will travel anywhere and normally do but please consider the distance that some of the members will have to travel if you make it to far off the centre line of Bristol both north and south,  this is the BRISTOL kit car club, and not the Gloucester or Somerset club after all
just my thoughts

What your saying Pete is that your only considering members that live in or on the outskirts of Bristol....... what percentage of members actually live in Bristol compared with the surrounding areas I wonder??

It works both ways, we would have to travel to Bristol so what's the difference in you travelling out of Bristol......unless you limit the club to Bristol residents only which is what you are implying.

Also, if we varied the meeting places you will get new people turn up not just the usual crowd that live 10 minutes away across the city.

stevel

Thornbury & Almondsbury sound good to me, that would be less than an hour for me and would hopefully mean I could make some of the meets.  I take Pete's point about Bristol club but could it alternate location to attract other members??

Bulldog Bri

Just to add my penny worth, Reasoning for the 2 venues we've had so far was to try and atrract as many from the surrounding areas as poss noting from the members map where the sort of center was. Yes some will always have to travel a fair distance but if the venue is placed to far one way we'll lose some cars and gain others as regulars. To me the east to centre of Bristol seems to be the best for this to allow for people from all areas (just look at the map!). Though moving to a more central pub comes with busier car parks. Ring Road area Pubs are also good but busy.

Seeing that I've sort off suggested the last 2 venues though I'm gonna step back this time.  ::) and see where we end up.  :D

8)

Hairy Santa

I'm certainy not advocating only the citizens of the City and County of Bristol be incuded in this Club but do feel it should be somewhere on the centre line so as to give everyone the option of a reasonable distance to travel to the meets, why not have 2 or 3 meeting places in different area's and at different times of the Sunday
As I stated I  normally turn up to most of the meets and am not realy concerned where they are but I'm certain that if it 's to far north or south then a lot of members will be put off coming and the same for the evening and not afternoon one's
there is a pub at the Marina at Saltford with a large field to the side that a few have been to that could be useful to our requirements (roughly on the centre line )   

Denzle

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 25, June, 2011, 12:46:01 PM
I'm certainy not advocating only the citizens of the City and County of Bristol be incuded in this Club but do feel it should be somewhere on the centre line so as to give everyone the option of a reasonable distance to travel to the meets, why not have 2 or 3 meeting places in different area's and at different times of the Sunday
As I stated I  normally turn up to most of the meets and am not realy concerned where they are but I'm certain that if it 's to far north or south then a lot of members will be put off coming and the same for the evening and not afternoon one's
there is a pub at the Marina at Saltford with a large field to the side that a few have been to that could be useful to our requirements (roughly on the centre line )   

Im afraid this is one of those things that we will never get a solution too.

Its a Bristol Club so I think it should stay in the central bristol area.  If you move North then its difficult for those from the south, and vice a versa, East and West.   People like me from Evesham will not be able to come to a couple of hour meeting. Its just not worth it.
Saying that I will try and get to some of the meets around the Bristol area if they are day events.
           So there is your answer.....Somewhere within the vicinity of Bristol...Boom Boom.

Diddy Denzle..... ;)

paintman

Nice bit of debating lads!.....as Denzle said we are never going to please everyone. ::)

A sunday lunch time meet would be good ...... chat and a pint ..... worth travelling for.   I'm usually too knackered in the evening to go out again once I have sat down for tea and we often go out for dinner on Sunday evenings anyway.

Tony

'The Gaffer'

I am taking notes and will have a look at all the places on Google maps, I think alternate meets could work, just need a little planning.

Next question - What weekend day would be better Saturday or Sunday?

Maybe lunch times could work? Need a little more feedback on that please but personally I would prefer that over Sunday eve.

I accept that we are a Bristol club, but we don't actually have that many members in central Bristol, so I'm thinking, looking at the geography Bath may be a good venue for one meet so far for maybe the first Sunday. Then maybe Thornbury way with a drive through the lanes for the second Sunday.

If there is any interest in a weekday eve meet I will plan this in.

Denzle

A mid day Sunday meet for me and the Missus would be great.   GIves us a chance to wake up, have bit of breakfast, then enjoy a trip down to, or near Bristol, without rushing.

As long as the meet lasts three or four hours or more, would be worthwhile.   Then a trip home late afternoon or early evening would round the day off nicely.

Lets have some opinions on how you would like your day to go, then perhaps we can all come to an agreement.

Denzle... ;)

paintman

Sunday lunch meet could be good ....... ::)

Denzle

Quote from: paintman on 26, June, 2011, 01:40:10 AM
Sunday lunch meet could be good ....... ::)

I will second that.       Any more.?

Sunday Lunch.

(1)  Paintman.
   (2)  Denzle.
   (3)  Sumov8.
   (4)  Almondsburyhills
   (5)  dikkie
   (6)  'Mendip Wursel'
   (7)  Grin-a-lot

Sumov8

A lunch would be good and cater for those that have to travel a fair way. :-*

Almondsburyhills

Count me in for a sunday lunch meet. Dutton not on road yet, weather still against me on the rebuild but will hitch a lift from Sumov8 no doubt.

YZFMINI

My 2p worth.
For me the best time would be either am as a breakfast run. or in the evening.
Location. Well anywhere in Bristol i would suggest. As the name suggest Bristol.

paintman

Quote from: YZFMINI on 29, June, 2011, 08:27:10 PM
My 2p worth.
Location. Well anywhere in Bristol i would suggest. As the name suggest Bristol.

I thought we were going to get out of Bristol for a change?? ::)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 29, June, 2011, 09:43:49 PM
Quote from: YZFMINI on 29, June, 2011, 08:27:10 PM
My 2p worth.

I thought we were going to get out of Bristol for a change?? ::)

I am working on the context that central Bristol is not going to work, but alternate North  / South meets may fit the bill. Thanks for the feedback so far but more is needed, it's not my club, it's ours so don't be afraid to put your views across.

dikkie

Location: I don't have a problem with this really - I enjoy driving my car so if it's a little further it just means I'll spend less time drinking and more driving. Would be nice to meet up with some local people and drive over together which I might try to arrange closer to the time

Time: the ADC breakfast meet on queens square is always on the same day, the place has good food and it's a good central location. It would be nice to still be able to do both that and the club meet. In which case I'd prefer not a morning meet, however Sunday lunch could work out nicely - giving those hardcore few the chance to do both, with time for a blast in between (don't think I could manage two meals though :S)

'Mendip Wurzel'

I must admit that I would prefer the morning or mid day. For me the weekend is over on Sunday evening as I am thinking about work, also a lot of the time it's dark which makes it less attractive.

Grin-a-lot

I can rarely make Sunday evenings because of work but mornings (not too early) or Sunday lunch would be quite appealing.

'The Gaffer'

Sunday Lunch Meets.

(1)  Paintman.
   (2)  Denzle.
   (3)  Sumov8.
   (4)  Almondsburyhills
   (5)  dikkie
   (6)  'Mendip Wursel'
   (7)  Grin-a-lot

Any more takers?

Point taken that the ADC breakfast meet on queens square could mean two meals and I only know one member who could manage that ;D So with that in mind I will propose a different Sunday for lunchtime meets.

Bulldog Bri

Can I propose a sunday lunch meeting at Wallnuts Garden center.... (thats if they do a Sunday roast or something along those lines)...  good parking, then a drive....

Just an idea...  ;D

8)

WALNUT

If you want lunch at the Garden Center,  On a Sunday, you have to book. But if you want to make it a bit earlyer for breakfast, no problem

Tony

paintman

I would rather meet up at a nice country pub where we can grab a snack, a full meal or just a pint.....don't what it to formal.... ::)

Tony

YZFMINI

Well today we went for good drive and went to 4 pubs as club meet places. My opinion
1-Riverside in Saltford -- easy to get to plenty of car park space next to cannal and it did not stink.and could see our cars
2-The boat house, bath-  this is a definate no no as the carpark is to small. and to far away from the bar + it was closed at lunch time on a day like today.
3-The George in bath by the toll bridge that Paintman posted about-- yes big carpark but wring side of pub,
4-The Globe -- easy access, but steep ramps and speed bumps and carparh hidden from pub.
Hairy santa took soem phots of the places we went to so h he can put them up..

Just my opinon of places visited today..

Hairy Santa

Couple of the shots I took of the pubs we visited which also in my mind are not really suitable for a meeting point for the club

the boat house, car parking could be problem

The george, car park wrong end of pub

The Globe, speed ramps, nasty hump and again to far from pub

can anyone think of any other pub that would be suitable

Bulldog Bri

We used to use the Globe as our meeting place to start with, back with the old Bath & West club and found that we were to far from the cars and it got very busy at the bar.  :( which was how we ended up at the Wheatsheaf up the road.

'The George' at Bathampton by the canal, as said car park is quite seperate from the pub.  ???

Never been to the 'Boat house'  :P

'The Riverside' or the 'The Jolly Sailor' in Saltford are good places with good size car parks  ::) or even 'The Crown' on the A4 in Saltford.

Keeping my eyes open for others while driving around, will post any I see with possiblities.  ;)

8)

evolution

How about the Plough in Pilning, nice sized car park.

Also, how about a member nominates a pub for the months meeting.  Discussions can take place if too far for people etc.  Just a thought

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: evolution on 02, July, 2011, 09:29:34 PM
Also, how about a member nominates a pub for the months meeting.  Discussions can take place if too far for people etc.  Just a thought

Believe me, nothing would ever be decided. We just need a couple of regulars and stick to them for a while. Good idea though.

Sumov8

All good ideas but is a decision going to be made before this weekend?
:-[ :-[
If most go to the Piston Head meeting it will be too late to make a decision that every one will be able to see before the Sunday morning.

:-* :-*

Krazyken

I agree with Sumov8, all the nominations are in just need The Gaffer to make an executive decision.  Over to you Phil  ;D

'The Gaffer'

Right then, Sunday lunch it is..

And for this I have chosen the 4th Sunday of every month thus catering for the Avenue Drivers meet at Queens Sq Bristol on the 2nd Sunday of the month for breakfast.

For Sunday lunch I have decided on the Bull Inn Badgers Lea, Hinton, SN14 8HG (It still has a Bristol tel code so its still in Bristol ;D) http://www.thebullathinton.co.uk

It is also very central with the M4 / A46 from both directions with links from the M5 and is accessible from Central Bristol, Gloucester, Bath, Shepton Mallet, Swindon and yes even Trowbridge and Tewkesbury ;) easily within the hour.

The pub is very popular for many evening car club meets and apparently serves great food. It also caters for people with food allergies.

The kitchen team, led by Award-winning Head Chef Nick White, prides itself on producing original dishes made from produce sourced by local suppliers freshly cooked on the premises. Where possible they use their own home grown seasonal fruit and vegetables. There is a children's menu which is available on request. The Bull has also been awarded a Certificate of Excellence in the servings of Cask Ales.

I have spoken to Dave the owner and he is happy for us to attend for Sunday Lunch but we have to book in advance with estimated numbers. He has also kindly offered us a patch of grass which is on firm ground for us to park on.

I suggest we meet there at 1.00 pm.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bull+inn+Hinton&hl=en&ll=51.489507,-2.38266&spn=0.355718,0.891953&sll=51.486728,-2.381673&sspn=0.022902,0.055747&z=11

For a second monthly breakfast meet I propose the already established Avenue Drivers Club on Queens Square Bristol on the second Sunday of every month at 9.00am +. See http://www.avenuedriversclub.co.uk/thewall.html

Avenue Cafe

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=avenue+cafe+queens+square+bristol&hl=en&ll=51.451292,-2.592967&spn=0.00573,0.013937&sll=51.451132,-2.592967&sspn=0.001432,0.003484&t=h&z=17

For a third meet for those that are partial to a weekday evening, I propose the 1st Thursday eve of the month meeting at the Willy Wicket pub on the Bristol Ring road at 7.00 - 7.30pm (Badminton Road, Downend, Bristol, BS36 1DP)
followed by a brisk but legal run around the ring road and on to the Riverside Inn at The Shallows, Saltford, Bristol, Avon BS31 3EX

Willy Wicket

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=willy+wicket+bristol&hl=en&ll=51.504759,-2.489366&spn=0.001431,0.003484&sll=51.399657,-2.448964&sspn=0.002868,0.006968&t=h&z=19

Riverside Inn

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=The+Riverside+saltford&hl=en&ll=51.399657,-2.448964&spn=0.002868,0.006968&sll=51.399741,-2.450209&sspn=0.023079,0.055747&t=h&z=18

So there we have it, three regular meets a month, both at different times and two of them featuring featuring food and one a brisk but legal run around the ring road.

To Conclude.

Sunday Lunch meet 4th Sunday of the month at the Bull Inn Hinton at 1.00 pm

Sunday Breakfast meet 2nd Sunday of the month at the Avenue Drivers Club Queens Square Bristol 9.00am +

Thursday eve meet 1st Thursday eve of the month meeting at the Willy Wicket pub on the Bristol Ring road for 7.30pm followed by a brisk but legal run around the ring road and on to the Riverside Inn at The Shallows, Saltford, Bristol.

All the above will be up for review especially during the winter but for now lets see how things work out, and most importantly lets see if we can get people to attend.

I hope this new arrangement suits most peoples requirements as there is something here for almost everyone.

Phil.

Denzle

I like the first one Phil.   

For us its a nice drive down through Cheltenham & Stroud without touching the M5.  Also out for lunch.

Youve done a good job giving us all a chance to meet up...  Well done.. 8)
                                  Love it.....Denzle... ;)

dikkie

sounds great, looking forward to it already :)

robp

Excellent work, Phil.  Looking forward to next meet.