AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

BKCC runs, .itn files on Tom-Tom, maps, tyre to travel software. ATTN CRUNCHIE!!

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 23, September, 2015, 05:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

This was touched upon by crunchie gears in a previous thread, but being as I recently got sent to the naughty step for hijacking(!) I have set it in motion again in a brand new thread  :P

This could in fact be a very handy tool for someone who knows what they are doing (that counts me out then)... I took a look at the site recommended by crunchie and just did a quick search for routes in England and this one came up...

http://routes.tyretotravel.com/routes/view/412  (give it chance to load and check out the route map below - looks good right?)

You can make up your own or use ones like this that someone has kindly made before. Maybe something we could get into next year when the dry warm weather returns, if someone would like to take on the challenge??

If we all had the route and sat navs/maps and phones then it could be a right little adventure, getting lost, meeting up, getting lost again! Meals, meeting points, POI's and sights to visit en route etc etc.

Needs someone with the know-how and the will power to set it all up of course  :)

Anyone??

Moleman

Sounds good to me though I have found most you you guys don't like driving your cars far unless it is Yellow.  :-*

Crunchie Gears

FHO glad you like Tyre. :D

I am up to plan a route and put into different formats for old TomToms, Garmin and Co-pilot.  I may need help with the route as I am not a local. 8)

Facial Hair Optional

Sounds like the sort of thing that could maybe be planned in a nice pub on a Thursday night or two over the Winter ready for next Spring perhaps? A Winters project for some of us  ;D

Crunchie Gears

Iancider

I chose a Garmin Zumo which is a motorcycle satnav and waterproof.

I spent a long time choosing but I can plug in a headset or use bluetooth and I can arrange custom routes.

I tried out the custom route on the Tintern Run and go two small errors in 80 miles of motoring.  The first was because I got weak satellite reception and it said turn right 40 yards too late and the second was a practical issue.  In rural areas not all roads have names and the postal codes are quite large.  One turn took me into the centre of the postcode I had set and I went right instead of left.

That was a practice run that was set-up on the satnav itself but I can set routes on the computer and then can use map coordinates to give a really precise route.  Driving with a headset on makes navigation a doodle but when I am looking for a junction I need to see the proximity and the screen can be too reflective in bright sun - a little hood addition will sort that out. 

Overall I have been very pleased with it but it is not cheap!

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Headset is great idea given the noise of some of our types of car. Those motorcycle Garmins are optimised for left hand use I think aren't they Ian? So you can keep on the gas I suppose!!