AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

This Thurs/Friday - dry and fine weather - anyone fancy a meet/drive?

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 06, October, 2015, 02:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

Current forecast is for a dry couple of days on Thursday and Friday this week with some sunshine  8)

Provided it turns out to be accurate does anyone fancy meeting for a chat or casual drive about or whatever?

Obviously it gets dark fairly early so I was thinking daytime-ish. I'm tied up from 2.15pm to about 4.00pm Thursday, other than that can be flexible.

I will probably go myself anyway if it's nice out, need to make the most of the dwindling summer weather.

Moleman

Iancider

Sorry from me too - not retired yet but I am working in it!

Ian

benchmark51

Wouldn't mind a quick trip out to Hullavington(thursday) for a looksee at the indoor karting and try the diner out for lunch. They open about 10 am? About the time I could leave Warmley.

Bulldog Bri

Facial Hair Optional

Which route would you take Dave? Let's hope it actually is dry as forecast  :)

benchmark51

I am in Warmley BS30, on the A420. So virtually pointing at Chippenham. How about you, where are you starting from?

Facial Hair Optional

I'd be coming from the Sodding Chipbury area so could either come through Pucklechurch to the White Harte/Griffin or out through Old Sodbury and along the A46 to the A420 roundabout junction. Or maybe Tog Hill car park?

Bulldog Bri

sanzomat

sanzomat

Some of have to work. Its getting to that time of year when the sun only shines when you are at work  :'(
The last couple of weekends have been cracking though and have managed to get out in the GTM both days of the last two weekends. Only pootling as SWMBO has come along too but it is great that she's joining in the fun.

Downside is the engine isn't progressing very quickly but that is something I can do on dark evenings in the shed.

benchmark51

Which ever you like really FHO. If we go up the A420, White Hart or Tog hill is ok, I don't think the doggers are out 'til dark are they Bri? ;D. lol

By the way, I just had a couple of nice tasty tarts. Smokey bacon and cheese, with bechamel sauce, luvverly :P

Facial Hair Optional

Sounds better than the tarts up at Tog mate, I hear they are a bit rough!  :o

I'll check the weather later Dave and get back to you about tomorrow (time, place etc) but atm it looks promising.

benchmark51

Iancider

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 07, October, 2015, 08:04:09 PM
Mini heatwave tomorrow 8) 8)
What it's only gonna be hot and sunny if you are in a Mini? Where am I supposed to get one by morning!?

Actually a guy just round the corner from me is selling an original small type Mini if anyone is interested?

Facial Hair Optional

Last call for this if anyone wants to join me and Benchmark for a couple of hours trip (and maybe lunch) to check out the karting centre at Hullavington tomorrow late morning?!?

The man from Del Monte he say the weather be scorchio!!!  ;D

Gary RH7

Gary RH7

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 08, October, 2015, 03:33:44 PM
How was lunch?
Fan-flippin-tastic mate! I'll post a quick report with pictures later today sometime. We did Combe too so I have some nice shots and info for anyone who's into their track days (attention VFC boys!)  ;D

benchmark51

Really good, got to the karting and initially a little underwhelmed at the outside appearance.
Parked up and went in for a look and was pleasantly suprised. Interesting kart track with about 10 corners, loads of karts and looks well organised. We sampled the food in the diner and left a little fatter! FHO took some photos and will post them up soon. I grabbed a price list and will bring it on Sunday to the square. Looks like a potentially good venue for a BKCC regular especially in the winter months.

We went to Castle coombe for a looksee and watched several cars going round in nice weather conditions.

We also got invited to use the track free of charge as there wern't very many there, so did 20 or so laps in bright sunshine with no wind at all. I guess by now you are all thinking that I'm telling 'porkies' and you would be right. Couldn't resist! ;D ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Nice one Dave! No go back in and edit it quick before Colin and Ed see it and let them think we really were that lucky! I can see the look on Cols little face now!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I timed a couple of the cars going round for you guys that are into track days at Combe. There was a wicked Ginetta that was hammering along, he came round Camp quicker than I've seen anyone do and sounded amazing. I clocked him at 1:09 point sumfin AND he passed about 3 slower cars in doing it!  :o

There were some very quick saloons too, mostly old 3 series Beemers and they looked to be on rails round Camp. Very impressive, but here's the good news for the VFC boys, a lot of the cars there were single seaters, there were quite a few Lolas and Chervons and Formula Ford 'type' things. You think our cars are low, a snail tried to slide under one and lost his shell (allegedly). I timed one who looked damned quick and he clocked at only 1:17 believe it or not!! Of course we don't know if he had issues round the blind side of the track or not, but that is only a tad quicker (if that!) than Colin and Ed etc!  :o

Me and Dave didn't go round but if we had done we'd have had him easy  ;D

These guys were all of a certain age and all had huge trailers or full on support vehicles and tents (or gazeebos as Dave calls them cos he is posh like not what I is). I'm not sure exactly what sort of day it was but all the cars there were non road legal full on track day cars. The blue number 12 Lola had some kind of Cosworth engine in it. They all looked amazing to be fair.

I will post some pics later. I am still Stuffed Full Vandoorn from the All American Breakfast I had at the karting centre American Diner, which actually was a full English and one of the best I've had in years. Hot, fresh, tons of it and all done VERY quickly to the table, £5.50 - can't say fairer than that! Dave had a huge fancy burger thingy with chips, salad etc £6.00 and we had drinks with that too with a free refil on the cups of tea!

We shot off from there via Hullavington Village and Grittleton to Castle Combe race track and from there home via the Cross Hands road (which was fun - and dangerous!) Luckily I had a docs appointment at half 2 where I got some pills to calm my nerves  ;D

We had one lucky escape on the A420 on the way towards Chippenham when 2 vans coming the other way started flashing us, there was a police camera van parked up in a layby ahead of us!! Not sure what the limit was but were doing 48mph (for about 3 minutes!)  ;D

At one point we could smell bacon but I think that was Allington Farm shop  ;D

Oh did I mention... IT DIDN'T RAIN AT ALL AT ANY POINT AND WE HAD BLAZING SUNSHINE THE WHOLE WAY HOME!!!  :P

Pics to follow

Facial Hair Optional

Dave almost obliterated by the GORGEOUS SUNSHINE WE HAD NEARLY ALL DAY!!!  :P

YUMMY! Even I struggled to finish it all off, 3 sausages, 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast, mushrooms, beans, 2 hash browns, tomato, 4 rashers of bacon and 2 cups of tea - £5.50 and check out the big grin on Dave's fizzog!!

Beaut of a Fiat 500 inside the hangar!

Dave about to dump on my car!

Ratbag sporting the new R2D2 roof extension - all the rage at Combe these days!

Some flash gits with flash track motors  >:(

Moleman

Some nice looking cars there mate. I have found that most of the year it seems to be dry during the week & crap on the weekend.  ::) :)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Moleman on 08, October, 2015, 07:00:23 PM
Some nice looking cars there mate. I have found that most of the year it seems to be dry during the week & crap on the weekend.  ::) :)

............. except last Monday :o ;D

Moleman

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 08, October, 2015, 07:37:12 PM
Oh yes.  :'(   :)

Ed and Colin, sorry lads I am wetting myself here again, you are a great double act!!  ;D

Was a real shame about Monday (being serious now), cos it was bloody lovely and sunny and warm there today!! The track looked amazing, no rivers, no wet stuff, massively fast lap times, amazing cornering speeds (ok shall I stop now?!)

Luck of the draw that's all. We could all relocate to Portugal and live like kings?

sanzomat

Looks like you two boys had a nice day out. Like the new number plate but I bet that camera van didn't... :o

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 08, October, 2015, 10:30:24 PM
Looks like you two boys had a nice day out. Like the new number plate but I bet that camera van didn't... :o
I'l l let you know if I get any post!!  :o

Gary RH7

That breakfast looked good enough to eat :P

Maybe we should use the place for a regular winter meet during the day, say Sunday 10:30 or 11:00

Facial Hair Optional

Im sure they'd welcome the business and maybe if we had numbers we'd get a discount on the grub or sumfim. You'd have to put the idea to the club leaders I think Gary. I was gonna list some names but decided I was on a hiding to nothing there, don't want to see grown men throwing their toys out of the pram do we!!

The drive there is nice with great roads. From the Cross Hands on the way to Combe you turn left at the Salutation and follow the road pretty much. It's surprisingly wide and smooth, looked like new tarmac to me and there is a nice little bridge you go under - I couldn't resist a little (ok big!) blip while under it, sounded bloody great!

The other way from the A420 we drove right by Allington Farm where we had a meet last Summer. Both the Cross Hands and Allington Farm shop could be 'en route stop off points' to make things more interesting maybe?

I think bikers do this kind of thing, ride, meet, eat, ride somewhere else, meet more bikers and end up with a huge convoy of noisy machines!! If they don't then they should, it's  pretty awesome sight a couple of hundred bikers on the road ;D

The idea of another Sunday meeting has been mentioned before but it didnt seem to get much interest that may be the issue again  :(

It's also in a place where maybe the SKCC could meet us too? I still think a meeting with them say twice a year or sumfin would be good if it could be agreed upon, though they may want us to go further over their neck of the woods, maybe East of Swindon. It would be a great run out in the spring/summer/autumn to do say 2 or 3 times and see some people and machines we don't know! Nice run there and back for both groups. We could even have a karting competition, BKCC v SKCC ! ;D

Moleman

Sounds good mate but I think it may be tricky now that the weather is turning. But next spring would be good.  :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 09, October, 2015, 07:45:14 PM
Sounds good mate but I think it may be tricky now that the weather is turning. But next spring would be good.  :)

Definitely Col, better make a diary note though or it'll get lost in the depths of the forum somewhere and we will forget all about it by Spring

Chaz

So after reading this post I had a blast down there myself. Not bad at all, but hopelessly lost as usual.
I like that canopy top thingy on Dave's car. Is it bespoke or can I order one from somewhere? What it's called would be handy, pretty sure it's not called a canopy thingy.
Happy trails.

Facial Hair Optional

Not sure but it would not surprise me if Dave made that himself, he is very handy at stuff like that it seems.

Also maybe try soft bits for sevens? http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk/

sanzomat

Quote from: Chaz on 12, October, 2015, 12:37:14 PM
So after reading this post I had a blast down there myself. Not bad at all, but hopelessly lost as usual.
I like that canopy top thingy on Dave's car. Is it bespoke or can I order one from somewhere? What it's called would be handy, pretty sure it's not called a canopy thingy.
Happy trails.

I expect Dave will answer for himself but here is his post on the subject:
http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=3966.0

benchmark51

Oh, you meant me! So many 'triggers' around, everyones a Dave at some point.

Some refer to the type of top on Ratbag as a 'bikini top', but that is probably aimed at the right tit sat beneath it! However the correct name is a 'Half hood'. I got mine from European Trimming Company, who also make seats and other trim for Caterham. I compared it with a similar product made by 'Softbits for sevens' and liked the ETC one better. A Westfield owner at Stoneleigh show said his Softbits one flapped about at speed, but I don't get that with mine even at a hundred.(not tested on the road ;D). The one I bought was made for a SV Caterham, which is the fat ass version. It is still quite small though and involved altering the screen  and rollover bar positions. Softbits will make to your dimensions ETC don't. Mine is mohair and slightly dearer than vinyl at £200. I think full hoods are something like £500! :o
Hope this helps. Rodney oops I mean Dave.

Facial Hair Optional

Get yourself a passenger Dave, then you'd have a nice pair of...... people  :D

Chaz

Quote from: benchmark51 on 12, October, 2015, 04:52:36 PM
Oh, you meant me! So many 'triggers' around, everyones a Dave at some point.

Some refer to the type of top on Ratbag as a 'bikini top', but that is probably aimed at the right tit sat beneath it! However the correct name is a 'Half hood'. I got mine from European Trimming Company, who also make seats and other trim for Caterham. I compared it with a similar product made by 'Softbits for sevens' and liked the ETC one better. A Westfield owner at Stoneleigh show said his Softbits one flapped about at speed, but I don't get that with mine even at a hundred.(not tested on the road ;D). The one I bought was made for a SV Caterham, which is the fat ass version. It is still quite small though and involved altering the screen  and rollover bar positions. Softbits will make to your dimensions ETC don't. Mine is mohair and slightly dearer than vinyl at £200. I think full hoods are something like £500! :o
Hope this helps. Rodney oops I mean Dave.

Thanks for that. I think I may look in to getting one.