Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Queen's Square Sunday morning meet 13th December

Started by Moleman, 24, November, 2015, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

benchmark51

How about having a few or more locations, visit the one local to you and/or any of the others. Can be influenced by weather and/or how much time you have. Maybe visit them all. ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Until and IF Queens get shuts down I would have thought it best to keep using that one on the 2nd Sunday each month with maybe another on the 4th Sunday and use multiple venues for variety. The venue could be decided on a month by month basis with the location being announced a couple of weeks beforehand and hence also made known at the Queens meeting, it doesn't have to be one fixed venue I guess. I think places like Combe would be good expecially if there is an option to go for a convoy drive to somewhere nearby as well maybe?

There must be plenty of places, Combe, Tog Hill car park, the Cross Hands just 3 nearby this side of town. I'm sure there are loads more around the other areas of the Bristol region too, just I know this side best. Is Ashton Court open? Or Blaise Castle? Years ago I used to go to Club Lotus meets at the Compass Inn at Tormarton or the Bull at Hinton.

Or Woodlands Golf and Country Club at Bradley Stoke. Plenty of golf clubs that may welcome us if we buy food and drink?

I know there is a very car friendly pub/landlord near Bath that in the past guys from Pistonheads have used. I think it is at Box. Could meet there and run to the Cross Hands or Combe even, some nice roads along the way. Just looked it up, it's the Northey Arms and it's actually Corsham not Box as such....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/The+Northey+Arms/@51.4161691,-2.267561,3a,75y,65.56h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqXgRmEG0faqxLBelX1wv2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xecd2cbc5e11c3118!6m1!1e1

Iancider

I think it is clear that we are being forced out of Queen's Square and it is no accident.

We need to ask for permission to use any private car-park and they must welcome us.  It is not necessary to go to the same location each time and we could tour about to anywhere we are welcome.

Lots of good ideas are appearing - stay on the lookout over Christmas and we will then seek permissions in the New Year. 

The village club at Redhill just off the A38 (- just south of the airport) would always welcome us and they do fine breakfasts.  This is a common venue for the Pegasus club.  They have parking for well over 100 - 30% on tarmac, 70% on grass.

Facial Hair Optional

Agreed Ian. I have heard about the meet that Pegasus do there, apparently it is pretty good. On the note of looking out and finding venues/getting permissions etc etc I plan to do a scouting run as soon as weather permits just to have a look-see (no talks to landlords unless they approach me) on this route.....

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.457882,-2.3794046/51.40261,-2.3098338/The+Northey+Arms,+Bath+Road,+Corsham/Biddestone/Castle+Combe+Circuit,+Castle+Combe/Cross+Hands+Hotel,+Old+Sodbury/51.4577624,-2.3795129/@51.4646646,-2.3671622,12z/data=!4m34!4m33!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-2.3318096!2d51.4007604!3s0x4871818f7c496775:0xf6e907e48fb361ca!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4871796033024a89:0xecd2cbc5e11c3118!2m2!1d-2.2673442!2d51.4162305!1m5!1m1!1s0x48717a2f35fb89bf:0x7af4a188c9a8b64!2m2!1d-2.194276!2d51.45923!1m5!1m1!1s0x487179fc19542e41:0xfdd9ccaedb930702!2m2!1d-2.2178501!2d51.4935115!1m5!1m1!1s0x48718fbda43c1f75:0x46a987f50a0671f6!2m2!1d-2.342851!2d51.529296!1m0!

It takes in the Cross Hands, Tog Hill, the Northey Arms, Biddestone (Arms), Castle Combe and back to the Cross Hands again. All on good roads I think.

It'll be a nice little run out of about an hour just to give the Tiger a bit of fun. If anyone else wants to tag along please feel free to join in and/or suggest other points nearby or along the way  :)

Last Christmas I went out on Christmas Day, it was ace!!! Totally dead, I had all the nice quiet DRY roads all to myself near enough!!! I have never been down one main road (that I will not mention) as fast!!

If Christmas Day or Boxing Day are dry this year I will probably be out for a blast again (within the legal limits  ;D)

'The Gaffer'

I'm all for getting together somewhere for brunch, Sunday morning is my only chance to have a little snooze, so an early breakfast is not for me and I suspect some others too.

A brunch might even start to attract other clubs or enthusiasts too that might like a lie in.

I like the idea of a Downs meet. If established a snack van would be more than happy to attend.

Just my 2 cents.

benchmark51

Moleman

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 17, December, 2015, 08:21:17 PM
I'm confused. Which good point, keeping it at Queen Square or moving to Combe? What do you define as local? Surely that depends where you live? I thought we were looking for an ADDITIONAL place to Queens, not instead of? Yes I am confused!  ???

I'm saying just keep it local in Bristol so we still get quite a few that would like to turn up each month but not on the same date as Queens Square so people can still go to Queens Square if the wish.

I'm liking the idea of the Downs though.  :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 18, December, 2015, 12:29:30 AM
Isn't there food at the water tower?

Not sure these days Dave, it's been a while since I was around that area regulary. May take a trip to find out some info on stuff like that and the Downs/parking in general. I'm sure it has changed a bit since my day.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 18, December, 2015, 10:19:19 AM
I'm saying just keep it local in Bristol so we still get quite a few that would like to turn up each month but not on the same date as Queens Square so people can still go to Queens Square if the wish.

I agree Colin, that would be ideal mate wouldn't it? Are you thinking just the BKCC, at least for the time being?

Quote from: Moleman on 18, December, 2015, 10:19:19 AM

I'm liking the idea of the Downs though.  :)

I can take a trip up there sometime and check out that bit or road mate, see if it is still viable. It's a good place even if it is only to start with. You're the boss Col, let me know if you need me to do anything to help get it off the ground.

I suppose the ideal time to do a reconnaissance trip would actually be on a Sunday morning to get a true picture of what it is likely to be like up there, ie parking restrictions if any and chuck wagons etc?

Iancider

I suppose the ideal time to do a reconnaissance trip would actually be on a Sunday morning to get a true picture of what it is likely to be like up there, ie parking restrictions if any and chuck wagons etc?

That sounds like a mission to me! Go for it!  If we could find several we could move it around - very difficult to hit a moving target!

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 18, December, 2015, 10:14:11 PM

That sounds like a mission to me! Go for it!  If we could find several we could move it around - very difficult to hit a moving target!

Ian
I like the cut of your jib Ian!  ;D

Moleman

That will be great mate. let us know what you think.  8)

Facial Hair Optional

Iancider

FHO - especially for you sent by a friend:

You will see a glimpse of Hairy Santa's GT40 in motion and a rally to beat all rallies.  You will also see some familiar cars now under new management - from 2010....

Gorge-ous!

Device USB\VID_046D&PID_0A02&MI_00\7&2a781818&1&0000 requires further installation.

sanzomat

Facial Hair Optional

Definitely something weird about that link! Dunno what you did there Ian but I suspect maybe you copied and pasted and it didnt 'take' properly and you pasted the previous copy you did of something else? Or maybe it is just a c*ck up!  ;D

benchmark51

No, probably started on the sherry already! lol  ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Can't blame him Dave, I feel like drinking myself today!  ???

Do you ever have much trouble starting Ratbag this time of year? My Tiger has a stupid small bike/ATV battery on it and I always have trouble starting her in cold weather. I'm not sure if it needs a new battery or just a bigger one!

A bigger one would make sense being as the couple of kilos saved with the small one must make sod all difference to her performance being as she is not exactly lightweight! A bit of a nause to have to fit a new battery cage etc and get rid of the nice old alloy one though. Maybe just a brand new replacement battery would do the job. Not sure exactly how old the current one is. A few years of having to start up a pinto engine cant have done it much good though?

benchmark51

I was taken out for a drink on Saturday by some mates who were visiting Bristol. Got up next morning at 9.30'ish, 2 paracetemols and back to bed! Lost my phone, couldn't find it anywhere  :'(. Bit later on I used my tablet and rang my phone, there it was ringing away in my jeans pocket in the laundry bin ;D.

No, Ratbag is on the button in any weather. A battery with a good capacity is more important than saving a couple of kilos. Let's face it no-one in BKCC, as far as I know, is doing any racing so such weight saving is pointless. If it's a road car give it what it needs to be reliable.

Gary RH7

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 21, December, 2015, 10:21:03 AM
Can't blame him Dave, I feel like drinking myself today!  ???

Do you ever have much trouble starting Ratbag this time of year? My Tiger has a stupid small bike/ATV battery on it and I always have trouble starting her in cold weather. I'm not sure if it needs a new battery or just a bigger one!

A bigger one would make sense being as the couple of kilos saved with the small one must make sod all difference to her performance being as she is not exactly lightweight! A bit of a nause to have to fit a new battery cage etc and get rid of the nice old alloy one though. Maybe just a brand new replacement battery would do the job. Not sure exactly how old the current one is. A few years of having to start up a pinto engine cant have done it much good though?

Is it worth getting one of those battery booster packs???

Vindicator

Started the Vindi the other days after about 4-5 weeks and apart from a few cranks to get the fuel through, it fired up straight away. I use an Accumate  battery conditioner on it (and the mower) and it keeps it topped up. I've got a lightweight battery and it seems happy  :)

benchmark51

Is it worth getting one of those battery booster packs???

Probably, but have heard tales of woe from those who have the cheaper ones. The more expensive ones are ok, providing you remember to keep it charged. Carrying it adds weight too, so may as well have a decent battery in the first place.

Iancider

Looking back a few posts - I posted s dodgy link!

It should have been Hairy Santa leading a pretty decent rally in his GT40 in Cheddar Gorge in 2010.

So here goes!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 21, December, 2015, 11:47:53 AM
I was taken out for a drink on Saturday by some mates who were visiting Bristol. Got up next morning at 9.30'ish, 2 paracetemols and back to bed! Lost my phone, couldn't find it anywhere  :'(. Bit later on I used my tablet and rang my phone, there it was ringing away in my jeans pocket in the laundry bin ;D.

Funny!!  :D :D

Quote from: benchmark51 on 21, December, 2015, 11:47:53 AM
No, Ratbag is on the button in any weather. A battery with a good capacity is more important than saving a couple of kilos. Let's face it no-one in BKCC, as far as I know, is doing any racing so such weight saving is pointless. If it's a road car give it what it needs to be reliable.

I totally agree Dave. But she is being sold in the Spring so I think I may just fit a new battery like the one she has now. It was ok for many years and is a bit less hassle for me atm what with other crud I have going on in my life right now. The new owner will be happy enough I think.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Vindicator on 21, December, 2015, 12:25:44 PM

Started the Vindi the other days after about 4-5 weeks and apart from a few cranks to get the fuel through, it fired up straight away. I use an Accumate  battery conditioner on it (and the mower) and it keeps it topped up. I've got a lightweight battery and it seems happy  :)

Sadly there is no power in the garage the car is currently in, I did use a trickle charger in the previous garage though and that did help and when it was really cold and struggled I just started it with a normal battery charger attached and it flys round and started on the button. I plan to move the car to a garage with power just as soon as I have jump started it or fitted a new battery.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 21, December, 2015, 07:35:13 PM

It should have been Hairy Santa leading a pretty decent rally in his GT40 in Cheddar Gorge in 2010.

Great vid Ian! I have yet to go to the Gorge. It's on my list of 'must do's' for the ASBO in 2016. Just hope they still have meets there next year?

Hairy Santa

Nice one Ian, never seen it before

Anyone fancy Queens Square this Sunday coming, the 27/12/2015.  It's the day after boxing day   

should confuse the wardens somewhat 8)

anyone game

benchmark51

Sadly there is no power in the garage the car is currently in, I did use a trickle charger in the previous garage though and that did help and when it was really cold and struggled I just started it with a normal battery charger attached and it flys round and started on the button. I plan to move the car to a garage with power just as soon as I have jump started it or fitted a new battery.
« Last Edit: 21, December, 2015, 08:46:52 PM by Facial Hair Optional »

Why not try a solar charger. Commonly used on boats and motorhomes to keep the battery topped up. £10 at Maplins.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 22, December, 2015, 10:14:36 AM

Why not try a solar charger. Commonly used on boats and motorhomes to keep the battery topped up. £10 at Maplins.

I may give that idea a go mate. I will have to figure out how to put the solar charger on the roof though as it's a group of garages and has only the front up and over door entrance. If I run the lead out of that onto the roof I can see some oik ripping it out one night just for fun. I plan to swap the Tiger and the Fury over as the Fury never goes flat and the garage it's in has power. Problem solved, for now at least. Hoping to do that this week, weather permitting.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 22, December, 2015, 08:19:33 AM
Nice one Ian, never seen it before

Anyone fancy Queens Square this Sunday coming, the 27/12/2015.  It's the day after boxing day   

should confuse the wardens somewhat 8)

anyone game

I may be up for that Pete if we get some dry weather and I have the Tiger running by then (shouldn't be an issue I hope).

I think tomorrow is gonna be ok and then also either Boxing Day or the Sunday you are suggesting. At least that is the current forecast.

I'll keep an eye on the Points West forecast.

Moleman

Sorry Pete I won't be under the limit to drive that day.  ;)