Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Corner weight clinic inc BBQ - Just £10 - 19th June

Started by 'The Gaffer', 18, April, 2010, 10:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

'The Gaffer'

Track Developments (Near Castle Coombe) are offering us a corner weight clinic on a Saturday of our choice this year.

For the unknowing corner weighting is pretty much essential for any car to be taken on track or fast road as the car will be balanced through left and right corners helping to eliminate understeer and oversteer. A car that has not been corner weighted is often likened to a kitchen table that has all 4 legs at different lengths whilst you are trying to drive it.

Quote from KrazyKen who kindly organised this great offer "I get my car set up by TD every year and can now slide mine around like a kart without understeer or oversteer which enables me to keep up with a Porsche 911 GT3 on track by making all the time lost on the straights in the twisty sections".

The offer from TD is for the club to get a minimum of 15 people bring their kit cars along to be corner weighted.  They can then see the effect of their car on the scales, TD will advise them what changes to make and lend them the spanners to do it, then re-weigh to see the difference.

For those who are not comfortable making the adjustments TD will be happy to quote for the work.  Also if the car is badly designed or set up TD will be able to advise on changing pick up points, spring rates etc. as they have done on my car to transform the roadholding and handling. 

For the minimum of 15 cars paying £10 each they will lay on a BBQ although the club will have to take it in turns to cook the low calorie, highly nutricous burgers & hot dogs.

Date to be advised, but a good day out for a tenner inc a BBQ and a better handling car too :) Who's interested?

Richard

These guys have a superb reputation and have previously featured in a kit car magazine.

Highly recommended, I will be in but can we wait a bit please  ;)   

I was planning to get a full check / set up anyway even though I'll be starting with the setup from the one featured in CKC track setup guide, as in theory the car will be similar but not the same  ;)

YellaBelly

I'd love to if I ever get the car done!

It's something I've thought best done by someone who knows what they're doing rather than me just bumbling through.

JB

stupott901

Dixie

Bargain, count me in.  I was gunna let TD have my car and go through it.

Mark

Krazyken

For £10 this is an absolute bargain, it can transform the handling of your car and is worth all the time and effort to make this happen.  With a BBQ thrown in it's a no brainer.

Daley Down Under

Martin Higgs

paintman

Sounds good...... put me down too.    Can we test them after around Castlecombe Circuit  after?:P

'The Gaffer'

Ok lets see who we've got for this event.

1.  G & Toniq
2.  stupott901
3.  Dixie
4.  MarlboroCar
5.  paintman
6.  Richard (Subject to car completion)
7.  YellaBelly (Subject to car completion)
8.  alastair
9.  headofengineering ACKCC

So thats 7 for sure - only another 8 needed.

Just £10 inc a BBQ. Come on folks at this price you would be mad to miss it.

alastair

Hi Guys,

I'll be up for it. Sounds like a great idea, and cheap as well!

Alastair                 DONE :)

YZFMINI

'The Gaffer'

Ok lets see who we've got for this event.

1.  G & Toniq
2.  stupott901
3.  Dixie
4.  MarlboroCar
5.  paintman
6.  Richard (Subject to car completion)
7.  YellaBelly (Subject to car completion)
8.  alastair
9.  headofengineering ACKCC
10.YZFMINI

So thats 8 for sure - only another 7 needed.

Just £10 inc a BBQ. Come on folks at this price you would be mad to miss it.

Rosco

I've got a dumb question.........

what can be adjusted to alter the corner weights?

Cheers,

Rosco.....

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Rosco on 24, April, 2010, 01:38:25 PM
what can be adjusted to alter the corner weights?

Dependent on what type of suspension you have, typically on coilovers you can adjust spring tension / ride height on all 4 wheels so that downward force on each wheel is matched diagonally. The drivers weight is also put into the equation for accuracy.

Coming back to the table, it insures all 4 legs are planted firmly on the floor with balanced force so you dont get any rocking.

paintman

I went to a local tuning shop today (J. B. Racing Engines) and was chatting to the owner. I told him about the corner tuning clinic and he said that to do the job properly would take at least 4 hours!

He laughed when I told him 15 of us was going, saying it was impossible to get all those cars sorted in a day unless we were all mechanics!! ::)

Hope he's wrong! ???

'The Gaffer'

I think the idea is that we all do our own adjustments with tools supplied, and they carry out the weighing untill we all get it correct.

Chances are that one or two may need to have further work carried out by TD but hey for a tenner with a BBQ you cant go wrong :)

Daley Down Under

Borrowing a corner weight gauge costs more than that and ebay suggests that secondhand ones are exchanging hands for £80-£100.

paintman

I'm not too worried about the car being sorted....it will be a good run out and as you said we get fed all for a tenner.....can't be bad. ;)

Tony

Krazyken

In answer to Paintmans comments.  The idea of the day is for everyone to know the corner weights of their car and if a small adjust ment can be made on the day for example to the ride height then be reweighed to see the difference it makes.

For a full set up the car would need to be with them all day, every measurement taken which would then be run through their Race Dyne Software package.  This would provide a full set of parameters on which a full set up could then be done which would set castor, camber, toe in etc. which would take most of the day. 

It is important to understand the difference and not to confuse one with the other.  For Track Developments to put this on for the club for just £10 per car incl. a BBQ is doing us a great service.

'The Gaffer'

Thanks for clarifying that Ken.

Fantastic value for money, who else is up for this?

1.   G & Toniq
2.   stupott901
3.   Dixie
4.   MarlboroCar
5.   paintman
6.   Richard (Subject to car completion)
7.   YellaBelly (Subject to car completion)
8.   alastair
9.   headofengineering ACKCC
10. YZFMINI
11. Martin Higgs
12. Bulldog Bri

So thats 10 for sure - only another 5 needed.

Just £10 inc a BBQ. Come on folks at this price you would be mad to miss it. Just add your name :)

Dixie

You just try keeping me away.  This is fantastic value.  Just hope we dont do it between May 26th and June 7th, I am away looking at Camels in Egypt. :)

Martin Higgs

Are you thinking of tradeing in the wife ?

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Dixie on 27, April, 2010, 12:06:12 PM
You just try keeping me away.  This is fantastic value.  Just hope we dont do it between May 26th and June 7th, I am away looking at Camels in Egypt. :)

ye its true - the Welsh have a thing about sheep - the Scotish a thing about haggis and if you come from Shepton Mallet, well its got to be CAMEL's

oh ye put my name on the list please

'The Gaffer'

1.   G & Toniq
2.   stupott901
3.   Dixie
4.   MarlboroCar
5.   paintman
8.   alastair
10. YZFMINI
11. Martin Higgs
12. Bulldog Bri
13. Hairy Santa
14. Brian ACKCC

So thats 12 for sure - only another 3 needed.

Just £10 inc a BBQ. Come on folks at this price you would be mad to miss it. Just add your name :)

Dixie

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 27, April, 2010, 02:32:48 PM
Quote from: Dixie on 27, April, 2010, 12:06:12 PM

ye its true - the Welsh have a thing about sheep - the Scotish a thing about haggis and if you come from Shepton Mallet, well its got to be CAMEL's

oh ye put my name on the list please

I have a thing about Camel Toes?  Does that count?

Brian

Count me in please, did also post on ACKCC (Gadget) so do not double count me  ;D

'The Gaffer'

I have a thing about Camel Toes? Does that count?

;D ;D ;D

'The Gaffer'

1.   G & Toniq
2.   stupott901
3.   Dixie
4.   MarlboroCar
5.   paintman
8.   alastair
10. YZFMINI
11. Martin Higgs
12. Bulldog Bri
13. Hairy Santa
14. Brian ACKCC
15. Dave Bence
16. birkinboy ACKCC

So thats 14 for sure - only another 1 needed.

eaa53

From a builders perspective its also useful as the IVA test asks you the axle weights as part of the application form detail.

I used TD to set up and report on my Hood before applying for the test.

Tester stated he had never driven a kit car with such good steering 'return to centre' set up before.

If you read up on performance cars they state you should check the general geometry once a year as a set of tyres can be ruined and cost more to replace if there is a developing problem you don't catch early enough.

Ken clearly needs he track car set up as its no fun slowing down too much for the corners.

Checking the corner weights is part of, and one of, a number of checks that should be done just like an oil change.

YellaBelly

Sounds like it might be beneficial for me to get the car done before the IVA then? Must admit, it was something I wasn't sure about sorting to get the car weights as needed for the test.

Comments guys?

JB

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YellaBelly on 28, April, 2010, 09:27:01 AM
Sounds like it might be beneficial for me to get the car done before the IVA then? Must admit, it was something I wasn't sure about sorting to get the car weights as needed for the test.

Comments guys?

JB

At least here you would get a very good accurate weight that you can confidently supply. Whats more theres a BBQ :)
I suppose you would have to trailer your car, but its not very far and there would be plenty of people willing to help.

Krazyken

In reply to eaa53 as my car covers at least 3000 miles p.a. on track I get my car set up by TD at the start of every year.  As all the weight (driver & engine) are down the offside on my car, Dave G has now put a slightly longer stiffer spring in the O/S/R corner which with the rest of the set up has led to a much more evenly balanced stance.

The car will be returning to TD tonight as my track abuse has broken a weld where an engine mount joins the chassis rail and the new set up has introduced a bit of bump steer which will be dialled out.  You will be able to see the results on the BKCC stand at Stoneleigh.

Spoke to Dave G rhis morning and he is keen to welcome you all for the Corner Weight Clinic.  All you need is 1 more to make up the minimum of 15 and a date can be set.  I know that you will find it very informative and worthwhile.

Mark G

I'm up for this. Can't go far wrong for a tenner. I work one in three Saturdays though so would be depending on the date.

'The Gaffer'

1.   G & Toniq
2.   stupott901
3.   Dixie
4.   MarlboroCar
5.   paintman
8.   alastair
10. YZFMINI
11. Martin Higgs
12. Bulldog Bri
13. Hairy Santa
14. Brian ACKCC
15. Dave Bence
16. birkinboy ACKCC
17. Mark G

So thats 15!! All we need now is a date that hopefully will suit us all.

Perhaps the easiest way to try is for those with plans is to state which Saturdays do not suit and we can try to work around them. If that gets too complicated we will just have to go with the most convenient date, by which time we may have a few more names to make up the numbers.

Please post bad days for you.

YellaBelly

Sounds good to me :)

Dates I cannot make it are:

8,15,22 May (away overseas)

17, 24 July (ditto)

Other than that, should be fine (I hope)

JB

Daley Down Under

I cant do 8, 15, 29 May, 5, 12, 26 June, 10, 24, 31 July

Adrian

Krazyken

My car will be on the BKCC stand at Stoneleigh tomorrow and I will be happy to show you what TD have done.  See you tomorrow.

Krazyken 

Krazyken

How does Saturday 19th June suit everyone?

Daley Down Under

19th June sounds like a fine date.  May be we can discuss more at Stoneleigh this afternoon?