Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Gurston Down Hill Climb Sunday 12th Sep

Started by Dixie, 05, September, 2010, 12:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Dixie

Who fancies a run out to Gurston Down Hill Climb next Sunday (12th).  http://www.gurstondown.org/calendar.htm

Speed Event, Nat B; the final round of the 2010 Gurston Championship and Top Ten Challenge.
Admission £10.00 per person, Car parking free, Children under 14 free.
Gates open 0800; practice from 0830; lunch; competitive runs starting around 13.30.

Located Shaftsbury side of Salisbury, in a lovely little village called Broadchalke.

I went last year, had a fab time.  You can walk around the pits and speak to the drivers, plus there is a lovely cafe/resturant on site.

Cars last year inc, Metro 6R4, Several Ex F1 cars, E-Type Jag, loads of mini's etc, plus several home built examples.

Paintman has already said he will go, so thats 2 of us.  I feel a list coming on.

1. Dixie (Mark)
2. Paintman (Tony)
3. Wallnut. (Tony)

Dixie

Who's going then?

Is it just Paintman and me?

Weather looks good.

M

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Dixie on 11, September, 2010, 12:16:59 PM
Who's going then?

Is it just Paintman and me?

Weather looks good.

M

Whats the plan Mark?

WALNUT

Can someone let me know whats happening about meet up.

Tony

paintman

I suggest we meet up somewhere near or in Shepton......maybe the Charlton Inn on the A47 roundabout to Frome road.

Dixie went last year and has agreed to"head" the mini convoy. (so if we get lost we can blame him)  :P

Dixie and myself will be at the Inn at 10 30,  so you Bristol boys had better arrange a meet up between you in Bristol.

Please post if your coming......so far;       Dixie,  paintman,  Wallnutt and possibly G & Toniq.

WALNUT

G+T. Are you still thinking of going, If so perhaps we could meet up in layby on ring rd, just past the Pucklechurch turn off. Just say a time that suits you.

Tony

WALNUT

Mark. will you be taking the A36 towards warminster past Frome.

Tony

Dixie

wasnt going to, from Shepton I would go Evercreech, Bruton, Gillingham, Shaftsbury then on to Gurston.

So from Shepton A371 to Evercreech, B3081 to Bruton, under the A303 re-join the B3081 onto Gillingham.  quickly onto the roundabout on the A350 onto the A30.  Just past the village of Sutton Mandeville, look for the signs for Broadchalke and Gurston Down Farm.  It's about 2 miles along a lovely narrow lane through the village then left into the farm.  Marshalls on the gate taking your cash. 

Its about 45 minutes from Shepton.

M

WALNUT

Well. There dont seem to be much intrest from this end, so I think I will give it a miss sorry.

Tony

Dixie

Quote from: WALLNUT on 11, September, 2010, 09:06:06 PM
Well. There dont seem to be much intrest from this end, so I think I will give it a miss sorry.

Tony

Ok, bit of a trek from Bristol.

M

'The Gaffer'

Tony, I will be going back on myself meeting on the ring road.

I will meet you in the first layby on the left on Hursley Hill (A37) just the other side of Whitchurch at 10am. Its just after the winding downhill stretch. I have pm'd you my mobile, can you do the same for me.

We can then head on to the Charlton Inn in Shepton to meet the others for 10.30.

Phil.

paintman

Well done Phil.....me and Dixie were feeling a bit like lepers!! :-*

'The Gaffer'

Great day for a drive, shame to miss out.

How about anybody else?

paintman

The nights are drawing in already.....soon be Autumn.   Get in your cars for a nice day out before the Winter.   Might be one of the few chances we get with the English weather.

There must be a few more of you thinking about coming...... ;) ;)

Dixie

Should be a good day.

Bringing my dad with me.

They do a lovely breakfast, come on Pete.

M

Hairy Santa

someone mention breakfast

I have just put car back together and was thinking of coming  - but dont fancy the bloody A37 yet again, if you were meeting up at Warminster I would have tagged along

gonna pop down Queens Square and then Lady Smyths, and possibly Clevedon just for the run

The weather looks good wherever  we all end up, hope all have a good time 

Dixie

You could meet us in Shaftsbury via Warminster.

Forgot about Queens square.

M

paintman

I'm coming back on the Warminster to Salisbury road A36.....its a faster road and will make a nice round trip! ;) .......come on Pete,  we need your assessment of the breakfast. ;D   

'The Gaffer'

Well, what a fantastic day 'all three of us' had. Well four actually including Marks dad :)

People who like watching (and hearing) very quick cars of all descriptions hill climbling at break neck speeds really missed out on a good 'un today.

Mark took Tony and I through some great scenery and good lanes on the way down. We then had breakfast at Gurston and then proceeded to walk around the pits and track checking out the vantage points.

One of these cars hit 140mph at the finish line :o

BEC's

Plenty of kit cars at the event

2 bike engines!!

Nice selection of cars

Even more..

Sweet MG

Then my camera battery went flat ::)

Dixie

Had a good day, nice drive through the lanes on the way, main roads on the way back.  Would like to see Santas Spectre do "The hill".

paintman

Great day out and even the weather was better than expected. ;D

Some really nice cars there having a thrash around the hill.....the Viper was a hoot, thought it would never slow down enough for the first corner!!

We must do it again next year. ;)

Tony