News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

i like

Started by xr2 stu, 02, January, 2011, 07:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xr2 stu

think i found a kit car i like i dont know way think it cause it's old skool and i like the
shape of it it's called a sylva leader ss i got a link to a pic of one
http://www.classic-kitcars.com/22/116/116picgallery.htm hope it work's

Grin-a-lot

My mate had a leader but his wife ran over it in her 4x4.  Not intentionally she claims.  He enjoyed owning/driving it.

paintman

Grin-a-lot

No he wasn't; she "didn't see it behind her" when she reversed.

His was all in Matt black, looked a bit like the batmobile on a dark night he always said!

Krazyken

It might be worth you having a word with Dave Gallop of Track Developments he is known on here as Camber Dave.  I believe that he now owns the rights to what was the Sylva Star or the Sylva Leader which he is currently re-engineering with the latest chassis technology. 

Either PM Dave or if he sees this perhaps Dave can respond and update us all.

xr2 stu

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 02, January, 2011, 09:11:13 PM
No he wasn't; she "didn't see it behind her" when she reversed.

His was all in Matt black, looked a bit like the batmobile on a dark night he always said!
funny i was think batmobile lol

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: Grin-a-lot on 02, January, 2011, 08:11:10 PM
My mate had a leader but his wife ran over it in her 4x4.  Not intentionally she claims.  He enjoyed owning/driving it.

Was there any damage to the 4x4...

xr2 stu

also found this sylva i kind of like the good thing about this kit is there not that much to buy
and it use a mk1 ford fiesta as a donor so i sould be able to use all the good bit's bit's off of my mk2 xr2 (1.6) most of these i've seen seem to be 1.1 here's a pic
http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/pictures/38/4529/Harlequin+Autokits_Jester

'The Gaffer'

Personally, I'm not a great fan of the Jester.

I think if I wore huge shoes, had a flower badge that shoots water, and threw large buckets of confetti while blowing a 'Parp Parp' horn it would be ideal ;)

Horses for courses though, some love the car.

xr2 stu

the wife dosent like was only think of it cause i can use all the good bit's off my xr2 (alot of bits) on it as it's fiesta
based

Camber Dave

Hi There

We have the Chassis jigs, Body moulds and rights to the Sylva Leader.
I am presently updating it to IRS using more modern components and our bespoke wishbones. We also have idea's to modernise the body. Both improvements will interchange with earlier chassis/body.

The Leader SS was a simple light 'hexagon' shaped chassis 43" wide at the drivers' hip narrowing to front and rear. It featured a 50 x 25mm top rail laid flat for strength. The name 'leader' derives from the class of sailing dingy which designer Jeremy Phillips was rumoured to have at the time. The chassis looks rather like a boat with the components dropped from the 'Gunwale' thus providing support around the open top and lightness around the floor. The seats were folded steel pans incorporating the propshaft tunnel also hung from the top.

The car had the front subframe and rear axle from a Vauxhall Viva or Chevette.

From the start it had a very good competition history, and we found at least 3 competing last year - 25 years after its release.
The slippery body and well raked windscreen is a help in this as it was said that with a 1300cc Ford cross flow it was a match for a 7/locost with a 1600 engine.

From a safety point of view - We bought a written off one for a V5 and research. It had had a head on impact with a Peugeot 405 and the damage was comfined to the front suspension, Chassis and Bonnet glass fibre. The cockpit was undamaged and rear body was reusable.

As you see I am very enthusiastic about the cat and am convinced that our upgrades will bring it well in to contention with modern Kit cars.

PM or post for more info or a local inspection.

Dave

xr2 stu

thanks dave you never know i might take you up on the offer of more info or a local inspection
whan some side you were in to them i had alook for your site and whtt a good site it was
also could you fit a 1.6 cvh in one just that if i ever got one that's an enigne i would like to have i know my way round the old cvh

Camber Dave

The accident damaged car we bought had a CVH mated to a Mk9 Ford gearbox.
I obviously saved the mountings ect.
The engine is an ebay listing away from the skip so if you are interested give me a ring. 

Dave

07977 948883

xr2 stu

thanks for the offer mate but the wife would go mad if i got it and put in the garge next to the xr
i have at the mo trying to get her on bord so i can get a kit car lol

Denzle

Sorry to say, but Im with `The Gaffer` on this one.  :(

I personally dont like them because they seem too kitish and an unthought out bodyplan.

There are no lines to it and the top looks as though its comes from an early  Citron CV. The shell is made like this so its easy to lay and remove from the mould.

But dont let me put you off....If you like it and it makes you happy then why not.

I think its best to tell the truth even if it offends if it helps you decide.    :'(

xr2 stu

all in pet is good am like you to if i like i'll say and if there's something i dont like i'll let you know lol