+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Winterisation

Started by foggy, 11, October, 2011, 06:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

Now my Hood is off the road and has been for the last 2 months, don't plan to drive it until next year. What do other members do for winter lay up?  I will cover mine over, it lives in the garage. Are there any tips for laying it up?  Or is there any things I should do?

bluehornetrider

Any car left for several months should be left on blocks, with handbrake off.  Saves brakes binding on tyres going flat and splitting.  You should think about draining any fuel from the engine as well but all the times I looked after cars while they were away for 4 months at a time always started straight away when they returned, just give the car a good blast to clean the cobwebs in spring.  Could also SORN and claim the tax back, but gives you something else to do before being able to drive it again.

'The Gaffer'

You could also take the battery out and store it in the house where it's warmer. Some swear by a battery conditioner left connected all winter while the battery is still in the car. (Thats what I did over the passed winters, but still kept the car taxed ready for those great crisp but sunny days)

paintman

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 11, October, 2011, 11:34:55 PM
You could also take the battery out and store it in the house where it's warmer. Some swear by a battery conditioner left connected all winter while the battery is still in the car. (Thats what I did over the passed winters, but still kept the car taxed ready for those great crisp but sunny days)

That's what i'm doing.....shant bother to put it on blocks but i'll push it up and down the drive now and again and depress the brakes and clutch for good measure. ;)

chrislandy

You should put it on blocks or I have seen some tyre savers on rimmer brothers website, it's basically to stop the tyres from deforming from being stood still with load on them. I have had the problem with my boat trailer before. If it happens, the best case is a slight flat spot for a while until the tyre sorts itself out, worst case the internal structure of the tyre is damaged causing premature failure.

In addition to the tyres, if you're not going to use the car for a while i.e. 3-4months+ then you need to :
1) clean it down to get all the road grime/salts off, dry throughly (with an air gun in the hard to reach places)
2) re-grease/oil everything that needs it,
3) run the engine without the air filter until warm then spray WD40 into the carbs/mainfold until the engine chokes.
4) Take the plugs out and spray WD40 into each bore and replace with old used plugs for the winter. 
5) drain the fuel
6) If the block is iron/steel then spray with WD40 to stop the rust over the winter
7) Make sure the coolant is topped off and with the correct amount of antifreeze in it otherwise the ali parts can fur up and can cause overheating or cracking when you use it next time.
8) disconnect battery and store correctly
9) Cover with a breathable cover
edit: forgot to add...
10) stick some oily rags up the exaust to stop anything getting in during the layup time

I've used this method for both cars and boats over the years and it's never let me down

Chris

paintman

Just thought.......I reckon that an increase in tyre pressure would be a good idea.      I normally run on 18lb p.s.i.,  an increase to 30lb would help keep the tyres in shape i'm sure.....what do you think?? ::)

chrislandy

My understanding was that the point of putting the car on blocks was to remove the concentrated load on a single point of the tyre, not sure whether increasing the pressure would make it better or worse?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: paintman on 12, October, 2011, 10:06:11 PM
Just thought.......I reckon that an increase in tyre pressure would be a good idea.      I normally run on 18lb p.s.i.,  an increase to 30lb would help keep the tyres in shape i'm sure.....what do you think?? ::)

Interesting theory, but I'm sure the tyre will suffer some kind of flatspot after standing all winter. Not only that but pressure always seems to fall in tyres that are not used, why is that?

Quarrycars

I've just put the road car away for the winter, in an attempt to stop the brake disks rusting I cleaned them up and coated them with vaseline and backed off the pads.  Hopeing I will be able to give them a quick wipe and they will be fine next year.

foggy

Had to get the Hood out today-the MOT ran out last month! So a quick wipe over - took it for the MOT went through first time!   So its now back in the garage for the winter lay up.  Some brilliant tips on how to protect it though out the winter.

peterw

Isn't it strange that tyres only ever seem to go flat on the bottom!! I think I'll have a lie down now.
pete

paintman

Just had another thought!!!! ::)......If I move the tyres a 1/4  revolution every month that should stop the flat spot......or would it make 4 flat spots... :P :P