News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Here we go........

Started by YellaBelly, 23, September, 2011, 01:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

Well, picked up the paint today, just need a couple of days with no (or minimal) rain and temperatures above 15 deg or so and I can get stuck in, I need a dryish atmposphere even if I am painting undercover. I just hope I can do it justice :o

So watch this space and keep your fingers crossed :)

JB

Edit: With any luck Tony, you'll get the answer to your colour question in the very near future ;)

Moleman

Is it going to be 0ne colour or two?
We could have a sweepsteak on what it's going to be?

How about Pink & Black?  :P

Grin-a-lot

I vote British Racing Green or maybe RAF Tornado Grey!

YellaBelly

So far your both right......it's going to be coloured :D ;)

Edit: Just had to have a peek at the basecoat in the tin, and WOW! Just hope it looks that good on the car ;)

Bulldog Bri

Good luck with the painting John. Can't wait to see the results.  ;D

Hope to be doing the Gentry in the next week or so as well.  :D

8)

YellaBelly

Thanks Bri. According to all the weather forecasts it's going to be a pretty decent week and most importantly, the humidity is supposed to be pretty low. So I guess it's going to be a case of now-or-never :o Can't run the risk of the weather turning too cold to paint as I'm doing it ouitside under a gazeebo so need the temp to be on my side.

BTW, I know I'm going to get shot to pieces for this by all and sundry, but I'm going for 2K after all. The colour choices were pretty restricted in celly, and at the end of the day I'm taking as many precautions as I possibly can with the mixing, sanding and painting, and also only going to be around the stuff for as long as it takes to spray it on, then I'm out of there until the 'fall-time' is up.

I've done more research and questioning than is healthy on the subject and decided I will go for the decent finish with 2K.

JB

'The Gaffer'

JB. I hope you have done your health and safety risk assessments.

If you haven't seen it before, here is Dave H's home made spray booth - Safety was taken very seriously and the booth is a beauty to behold don't you think?

PS, is the car going to be pink with brown stripes?

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: YellaBelly on 24, September, 2011, 01:53:26 PM

I've done more research and questioning than is healthy on the subject and decided I will go for the decent finish with 2K.

JB

All I can say is make sure you have a DAMN good breathing mask and a air tight seal around it with pleanty of ventilation.

8)

Bulldog Bri

Hey JOHN!!! speak to us!!! How did it go????? Huh? Huh? Huh?

8)

YellaBelly

Ha Ha!

Sorry mate, not started yet. But as the weather looks set fine for the next few days I guess it's now or never. God! I think I'd sooner got to the dentist!!

I just hope I can do it justice and not fluff it up :o

Watch this space Brian ;)

BTW, anymore guesses yet guys? :D

YellaBelly

Well, put the first 2 coats of 2K primer down, and just need to buy a little more to give the bonnet and one rear arch another going over. Then I can flat that back and start applying colour :D

Problem is though, the primer needs to sit for around 24hrs to get fully hard so it can be flatted back and I'm an impatient bunny >:(

Looks a reasonable finish so far though, still need to tweak the gun a little as I've got a bit of orange peel, but I'd sooner have that and flat it back than go too far and end up with runs :o

All being well, I should be able to get the basecoat and colour down by friday then get the laquer on....

....Oooh! the suspense ;)

'The Gaffer'

YellaBelly

Spent most of the afternoon and evening in a hot, stuffy disposable allover suit, rubber gloves, mask, goggles and I reckon I've lost about 10lbs in sweat!!

But, if the finish I've acheived so far is a marker for the final paint job then I reckon it is worth it. I have had my first peek of what the finished job should look like and let me tell you, I am one happy bunny :D. 2K is a whole new world when it comes to the finish, and with all the precautions I've taken I'm still here, so glad I chose to use it ;)

All being well, if it goes to the plan by Saturday evening I should be having a beer, either to celebrate the finished paint job or to drown my sorrows!

Watch this space.........won't be long Brian ;)

YellaBelly

Well. finsihed the paint job apart from the final touches. Still waiting for the pinstripe tape :(

I was tempted to put some piccies up now, but I decided to wait until it's done completely. Couple of issues with the bonnet and lifting primer, but I guess that's the risk when you use aluminium as thin as I did. The side panels also show the 'thinness' as does the rear panel, but I may deal with that at some point. Still, not the end of the world, and I'm pretty happy with the result for a first attempt at gun spraying (and come to think of it, car building too!). Still needs to be cut back and polished, but I'll leave the paint a couple of weeks to harden before I do that.

So, as soon as I get the pinstripe down I'll take some more piccies :)

JB