News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

What makes members post or not ?

Started by Richard, 17, July, 2009, 10:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Been wondering what makes a member post or not.

Noticed that a couple new registered members have arrived including a "brand name".

Suspect people don't post for a variety of reasons from "opinions" of those that do post, just thinking about kit car building/ buying or maybe a collector of logon ids (guess they must exist  ;D).

Wonder if there are any subjects / material that would encourage more posting or just be of use for the silent readers or lurkers  ;).

For example people on here have a variety of experience from buying kit cars, choosing one to build, dismantling donor cars and building simple to complex kit cars.

Any topic / reference material anyone would like to see ?

Discussions about good drive routes / places to visit etc ?

Just asking as I was in preparation mode for the next installment of BMW donor car background material and half thought there was little point if no one is interested.

'The Gaffer'

Good post Richard.

The forum is very quiet at the moment, interestingly so are other forums that I have checked out recently.
I'm guessing the holiday season is partially to blame for lack of posts.

It is important that people post though, even if they think what they have to say wont be of interest. Not only will it keep the forum fresh, but will entice other members to join.

Its a numbers game really, if this were an established gamers forum with say 10,000 members, logic would dictate that there would be many fresh posts a day but maybe 8,000 of those members hardly ever post, leaving the other 2000 active users responsible for keeping the forum active. More than enough in reality I would think.

Our tiny little forum on the other hand has 39 members, with posts coming from just a handful of people. I would like to think in time we can attract 100 members, and out of those maybe 20 would post regularly.

Bottom line, its all about thread starting, if the same people start threads, and the same people reply, thats how it will remain until more members join or others decide to participate. Some people think that by introducing themselves is enough and that reading others posts is what its all about.

Some people simply dont have an interest in forums, and are looking to drive, go to events, track days, karting, etc etc and maybe because we dont have a long list of interesting things to do, there is less forum interaction. This will all come in time, and Brian is doing a great job so far with meets and events and publicity.

That said, I would like more input from members, even if its a short story about what inspired you to get involved in kit cars.

This club is still very young and to be honest, I'm actually quite pleased in the interest we have gained. I am thinking about introducing an international section too.

A lot of work has gone into setting this club and site up, and I would like to supply what people want, but at the moment I'm just guessing. So please, if you have any requests or ideas post them here. And dont be afraid to post, we dont bite ;)

A big well done to all of you that have made the Bristol Kit Club what it is today.

Phil.

Mark G

I think its something that you'll just have to understand is that forums are a great place to find information on certain subjects.  Alot of people will come, read the threads and leave without even contemplating posting a reply or comment. 

Personally I don't think its a bad thing.  If people wait untill they are educated in a subject before sharing their opinions then it saves wasted/inacurate posts and having to search through trash to get to the info that the visitor is ultimately searching for.

Richard

Think it is good for people to come and read and go. No issue with that.

Been wondering what to post, I am accumulating BMW information and experience as suitable for donor cars and suspect it may be useful but unsure on topics and so far few kits use the full BMW donor.

Certainly BMW engine info easily available everywhere.

Things like Diffs and the LSD options / sizes across the ranges /the gearings / tracking etc. is a much harder concise info chase.

Perhaps just plug away slowly is best policy.

'The Gaffer'

Its info like yours that bring people to the site Richard, keep up the good work  ;D

David H

There is a massive future for BMW doners as they are great machines and still easy to find. Your posts will be archived and come in handy for loads of people down the line who search back and look for info. Maybe it will be read now, but definately it will be read later. I have found searching old posts invaluable in my kit car ownership. Its worth it.

I wish I had more time for it all but I work very long hours which is one reason why I dont post as much as I'd like.