News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Diff removal

Started by foggy, 08, November, 2011, 09:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foggy

Been having a few problems with my diff, so decided to take it out for inspection, all going well till the last bolt. the long one on the top (Ford Diff) yeah - it snapped, I'm thinking, saw both the ends off flush and drilling each end enough, thus the diff should drop out, I'm guessing the long bolt is made of steel and the casing of the diff is made out of aluminimum,thus  its coroded inside, tried tapping the bolt out, won't move. Any thoughts???

paintman

Hi there, sorry to hear of your troubles.  Can't understand how that happened unless the full weight of the diff. is still being held on that bolt!  I took mine out a few months back and it came out dead easy......just loosened the nut and banged out the bolt with a drift bar.

I would suggest jacking it up a bit more for starters......i recon your need an angle-driver to cut the bolt head off if it comes to that but i still reckon it should come out.......stands to reason, it hasn't been in your car that long has it, compared to how long it's been in the Sierra donor car. ::)

Tony

'The Gaffer'

A good overnight soaking with WD40 and a big hammer.

David H

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 09, November, 2011, 12:17:47 PM
A good overnight soaking with WD40 and a big hammer.

Yep, it needs a solid hitting.

YellaBelly

And if that doesn't work, don't force it...

....use a BIGGER hammer :D :D

'Mendip Wurzel'

I agree with what Tony is saying in that it should tap out as there is not actually much holding it in terms of the aluminium casing as the centre section has a cutaway as you will see in the attached photo.

Quarrycars

If the bolt has corroded into the aluminium HEAT is about the only thing that will shift it.  When putting it back together use a zinc based anti-sieze, copperslip will actually cause corrosion due to a dissimilar metal reaction.

foggy

I still can't get the son of a bitch out! I've hit it with a small hammer, I've hit it with a large hammer,theres more WD40 and penetrating oil that I have ever had to use before. Jacked it up and jacked it down, it ain't going to move! So I am going to cut the ends off the bolt and drill it. I suppose I could smash the casing!  Had to walk away and leave it alone - I am about to have a melt down!

'The Gaffer'

Have you tried heat on the casing?

foggy

its realy close to the petrol tank  i will leave it for a couple of days and have another go

paintman

Try using a heat gun set on high......it melts lead so should get it pretty hot without the worry of a flame. ::)

Camber Dave

Before you cut the end of the bolt off put the nut back on and ues it to pull the bolt out a bit.
Them add washers and move it some more.
Even if it dosn't move it at first wack the broken end with the tension to help it.
You may need to use two nuts together to avoid stripping the thread
After it has moved try locking the nuts together to rotate the bolt before pulling it again.

Dave

foggy

that  was a brilliant ideal dave  i tryed it this afternoon it did'nt move at all i have no ideal whats holding it in there 

foggy

at last got that diff out drilled the ends of the     top bolt out will post some pictures

'Mendip Wurzel'

I wonder how long the diffs been in the car to get that corroded....

'The Gaffer'

Wow, that was a tough 'un. Bet you are pleased that it's finally out.

'Mendip Wurzel'

I asume you have sorted a new diff.... I did see a few emails buzzing about some time ago.

If you are not sorted then I have a spare 3.62 Sierra diff.

Kevin

foggy

I am not sure  how long its been in there, the hood was built in 1995, but the whole lot could have been fitted as one unit. The registration number  is off a 85 model. Any way, the diff is knackered, something called the planet gears have broken up. I am glad I took this off, before it went when I was on the road.

foggy

After buying a diff from Kev, I thought all my problems were solved, bought some new shiny nuts and bolts to fix it all back in place -- the diff went back in like a dream! -- then came the half shafts (drive shafts), in out, in out -  whats wrong here?  Noticed the drive shafts are dfifferent lengths, which surprised me, the longest one went in, the shortest one - is too long!!  I am looking into the cost of a new shaft, but failing that, I will be looking to buy from a scrap yard a  diff plus drive shafts (push in shafts/drum breaks) if any one knows where I can get one- please let me know. I rather not buy off e-bay.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Just out of interest my drive shafts are the same length.... refund awaiting if the diff is not usable.

Cheers