News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

I think its out to get me?!

Started by Richardp, 07, April, 2012, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richardp

Poxy car...

I don't know whats wrong with it, but it refuses to be fixed up for this year.

I'd planned a bit of a refit, new front shocks, shortened sump, clean up and paint of the non stainless parts, a few nice shiny bits for the engine, a new rad.

So far absoluntly nothing has gone to plan, not one thing. In fact it's all gone horribly wrong, in interesting and unexpected ways.

Not to mention that most of the holes in the chassis, bar a few, seem to have been made with a plasma cutter. Whoever wielded said cutter, was either pissed, or in a big rush, possibly both. I have nothing against plasma cutting, it's quick, and if done well, or using a template, gives good enough results. Que cutting of new stainless plates, and drilling round holes roughly the same size as the bolts to go through them, and bolting in place....

The rad to be fair, was cheap, and previously loved. Requiring new supporting steelwork to be made, and fitted firmly to the car etc. etc.  time consuming, and fiddly, but not unexpected. It now helpfully leaks, having been tested before use, and treated with due care.

The sierra beam.... What a nightmare, rusty horrible mess springs to mind. The wishbones, not much better. Drive shafts, ditto, 4 new boots required, and a big clean and paint. After removal...... tap tap, big hole, tap tap, big hole.... In the end gave up, and sent the whole thing off to be shot blasted. Then fixed up the holes, having got it back. Painted, and waxoiled as far as possible, though it seems , ive bought up all local supplies of paint, at least of the type I'm using.

The front suspension, it seems that P100 struts are not available, at any price. Second hand, only in a worse state than mine. After much explaining, and people not believing, finaly sent off the whole cobbled together sorry mess, to see if it can be duplicated. Note also to get real spring top plates, and manufacture some sort of bearing for the top of the strut.

Today, fitting the reversing light switch, I lean on the side, and with much crunching, the car goes all bendy, in the middle! The bolts that hold the angle iron, that serves as chassis rail, pull through some of said wonky plasma-cut holes. Removing the carpets in the footwells , reveals what seems to be soil, or compost?! It might have been some sort of sound deadening, once upon a time? Whatever it is the hover chokes on it, its weirdly fibrous, and clumpy? Having got that sorted, the heads on the bolts are rusted away, and un-spanner-able. More grinding, drilling, and bolting..... Hopefully, the car is the right shape, I hope some of the distortion will go way once I can put the car down, and jack it up from different points..... Fingers crossed.

So far 4-5 days work, has turned into 10-12, I wonder what's next?

paintman

Well................things can only get better! ::)         Good luck!!

Richardp

That's true enough.

Just needed a rant, that's all. I won't be defeated by it.

Either that, or convert it into hand portable size pieces, with a 9" grinder? The idea is tempting, though.....

'The Gaffer'

That's real shame, sounds like real quality control problem. Keep us up to date.

peterw

sounds like a good pint or two would go down well there !!!

Krazyken

Ah...... the joys of kit cars!

To a greater or lesser extent we all seem to have similar experiences from time to time.  At least you are in a great club with like minded members to help you along.  As regards expenditure don't forget that discounts on nearly all items can be achieved by becoming a supporting member.

Keep going and good luck.

Richardp

A little better today  :)

New top mounts made for the rear springs, this time not turned from a lump of billet steel (a few parts of this car are so overdone, its just not true), but fabricated from 3mm wall tube, and 3mm plate, much lighter.

New mounting brackets for the roll over bar, to replace the little stack of offcuts used as a spacer, and a couple of exhaust clamps. This time it will bolt to the boot floor, and sides, as well as the ROPS.... Ugly as my head may be, I'd rather keep it attached. Said brackets pickled, and given a coat of cold galv primer.

Non kit car related, VW engine finally finished, and photos taken. If you know anyone who needs a completley rebuilt, type4 1.8l 98BHP, complete with all tinwork, alternator (working regulator), carbs etc. All painted up nice. Can be seen running, photos of internals and all work done available also. Let me know.

The not so good.... The underside of the car, dispite grinding off many sharp edges, is still like sticking your hand in a bag of razor blades.

The bushes still haven't turned up, so putting the rear suspension back is on hold. Though a good look at the parts, and it's all serviceable, if significantly lightened over standard. Driveshaft boots area pig of a thing to change, but all done now.

The front turrets..... Major surgery required, there is a crack or two. I guess cutting out and welding in new metal. While I'm at it, I'm going to close the ends of the turret, and fit strengthening plates. Clearly the stainless has work hardened from flexing, then cracked. That should stop future trouble. Mudgaurds to be moved to close mounted to the wheel, as the end of the turret won't be there any more.

Overall, could have been worse....

If anyone does discounts on 2 gal cans of Autosol, then I'll join in a flash :) On a serious note, I plan to join, having gone to a few meetings and the like.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Richardp on 08, April, 2012, 08:08:52 PM
If anyone does discounts on 2 gal cans of Autosol,

Do Motaman do them? Or maybe they can get hold of them for you?

Good progress on the car 8)

foggy

Reading about all your recent troubles-don't give up,keep trying, walk away from it for a day or two! then get back to it,then it won;t seem too bad! I had a lot of trouble with my diff on the Hood,I got the old one on my work bench to remind me what a sod that was, but it all came good in the end! Look for my old posts about it.

Richardp

Some progress....

Finaly there are fewer seperate parts at the end of the day, than at the begining.

Roll over bar fixing bracket

Rear suspension arms

Spring top fixings

Big metal patch where the beam attaches

Diff

Plus a few bits on the underside, like the beginnings of a sump guard.

I agree it's time for a break. I'll be glad to get back to work  :o

Richardp

Not so much on the going back to work, first day back, 13 hour day.

A shame as I really, really need to get some more paint. The springs are starting to go rusty again, where they are only half painted.

'The Gaffer'

Good dose of hammerite spray should keep the rust at bay.

Richardp

I like the idea, for quick and easy.

I'm not sure I will be keeping the springs, so that will do. I'm thinking when the dampers go, its coilover time.

Richardp

More news, mostly good.

GAZ front struts can be custom made to fit, though there's nothing 'standard' that will fit. Going without front suspension, isnt any sort of option.

Bushes for the beam and rear arms ordered, once they turn up I can refit, and align the beam.

More paint acquired.

Im chilling this evening, and not working on the car on the advise of you lot, possibly for the best :)

Richardp

A good few hours of painting this evening, the sun being out to aid the drying process.

Looks like ford sierra carnage, but that's the rear suspension about finished, paint wise at least.

Its been a bit slapdash to be honest, zero filling and sanding. The parts where shot blasted, given a coat of etch, a coat of zinc, a couple of coats of gloss tough black, then the undersides given a good coat of stone chip. The insides of hollow parts, a coat of waxoil. It may not be the best finish, but should keep the rust at bay.

The diff was a complete pig to spray, with all the odd shapes, but it looks ok, just a few runs.

The rear brake drums, chemical stripped, and wire brushed. Then given a coat of cold galv. They will most likely end up matt black.

Holes drilled for the rops mountings, and trial fitted. Backplates for those still need to be cut out. Then the whole thing removed, cleaned up and painted.

'The Gaffer'

Richardp

Cool, I'll settle for good enough job :) I don't want to get too used to slacking!

Not doing anything to the car today, though the new cycle wings have arrived :)

Happily fabricating brackets should be easy enough, once my new front suspension turns up.

Richardp

Still slow going, but the boot area is mostly back together, except the trim. Lots of trial fitting, and removing, rinse, and repeat ad infinitum.

Most of the day was spent doing the final fitting of the roll bar, and replacing pop rivets with diddy bolts, also replacing one of the bits of angle iron in the rear arch (rusty).

I'm wondering about trimming the boot area with corrugated plastic, its light and waterproof? Anyone have any experience of this? I'm open to suggestions.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Richardp on 15, April, 2012, 09:58:00 PM
I'm wondering about trimming the boot area with corrugated plastic, its light and waterproof? Anyone have any experience of this? I'm open to suggestions.

Cant quite picture that :-\

Richardp

I'm not so sure now, it worked great for filling in round the radiator, but it's not rigid enough to stick carpet to.   

Unless triple wall is any thicker, and less flexible.

Shame as it's quick and easy to cut with scissors. Plywood might be the right thing to use.

Sumov8

As already said rebuilding a kit car is worse than starting from scratch, Alan's Dutton has been nearly a year in rebuilding
with one step forward and two back as you describe.
Thats when its time to sit back have a cool drink and then go down the pub.

The only certain thing is that the car will still be there when you return all freash the next day ;)

foggy

i used plywood in mine its quite easy to cut and shape  i agree its a lot harder to rebuild something that some   one else has built 

YellaBelly

I used ply in my Locost too. Panels for the floor and sides and covered in carpet so it looks reasonable and also raises the floor so it looks flat rather than showing the cross memebers (a personal taste thing). Easily replaceable too if need be.

JB

paintman

I used chequered alley plate........bit expensive but strong and thin which i needed as the top of the windscreen was right in my eye-line when i had 12 mm marine ply on  the floor.......also if the prop. comes adrift from the diff. i recon it will give my gonads a bit more protection than wood!!  lol ;)

Tony

Richardp

Well today is a day off, no car battering. I dont get so wound up that way, though it will take longer.

I fully appreciate the one step forward, 3 or four, back. After all, I was just going to take the rear suspension off, and clean up the rust. Fit a shorter sump, and tidy some rusty bits.

So far there's been sand blasting, patching, and fabrication of major parts. As well as the unexpected bolts pulling through holes, where the heads and washers have rotted.

A lot of trouble is general RH bodgery, but apparently they have got better? Some things I dont think should have got by the original builder, like way too big plasma cut holes, and such things. I wonder how the front turrets got through the SVA/IVA, with razor sharp edges?

Thanks for the tips on trim. I have the origonal bits of ply, so they will be handy as a template, though some won't fit any longer, as things have moved a little. I like the cheqerplate idea, but cost is a concern, particularly having had custom front struts made.

Anyhow, thanks again for the ideas, support and stuff, it helped a lot. I really was ready to break out the 9" grinder  :D

YellaBelly

Quote from: paintman on 17, April, 2012, 07:18:56 PM
......also if the prop. comes adrift from the diff. i recon it will give my gonads a bit more protection than wood!!  lol ;)

Tony

I agree tony, that's why I used 3mm steel plate at the 'gonad' point of the prop. I now have that on the inside of the tunnel, and 2mm aluminium sheeting on the outside walls of the tunnel ;)

Richardp

A few more things done

Roll bar fixings, all new bolts everywhere....

The other side

Looking almost car shaped again

Richardp

Quote from: YellaBelly on 17, April, 2012, 10:13:24 PM
I agree tony, that's why I used 3mm steel plate at the 'gonad' point of the prop. I now have that on the inside of the tunnel, and 2mm aluminium sheeting on the outside walls of the tunnel ;)

I don't have to worry about that at least, the whole tunnel is stainless.

paintman

Quote from: Richardp on 21, April, 2012, 09:11:59 AM
Quote from: YellaBelly on 17, April, 2012, 10:13:24 PM

I don't have to worry about that at least, the whole tunnel is stainless.

So is mine..... but a propshaft flying around underneath the car would probably make a mess of a thin stainless steel tub, possibly. ::)

Richardp

I've checked out the propshaft, and it seems reasonably well contained to me. Theres a double thickness of stainless at one end, and the other has a plate with a circle cut in it, so it can't thrash about.

A few more bits done today, though a lot of it was spent making silly little bits for the handbrake. The rear brakes are now all back together, except the brake lines, those still need to be made, and fitted.

Richardp

A bit of a washout today, no chance of working under the car. Just as well its on stands really...

I made up some stainless covers for the bushes, the ones that stick through the floor of the car. They are folded out of flat plate, seam welded,  and have tabs for bolting down.

If the waters haven't subsided by tomorrow, I guess I'll make some storage pockets, or bins the same way. Or maybe a header tank, or oil catch tank, or something.

'The Gaffer'

Time for some drains ;D

I'm lucky enough to have a pit in a garage but it's always full of water unless pumped out.

Richardp

The water came up through the drain, unfortunatly. Never mind the underside will have to wait.

A pit would be nice, but keeping it dry, almost impossible. Somerset levels etc.

More stuff done today, mostly faff

Ducting? to block the holes round the rad, and make the air go through it. Yet to be sprayed black. Made from corrugated plastic sheet.

Fitted and piped up an oil->water oil cooler.

Fitted cover over suspension bush, and made stainless frame for storage bin next to the seat.

The engine runs, and none of the essential fluids fell out, always a good start.

Started making a support for the mudguard, cant go any further yet, since I don't have the new suspension, so fixing points etc. remain a mystery.

'The Gaffer'

Richardp

Good progress indeed. Though slowing down as the bottom part of the workshop is still a little waterlogged :(

I've discovered the windscreen wiper parts as fitted can never work, since the pivots could never be at the same angle as the screen. I thought about cutting flaps, and bending them up, then filling the gaps with stainless, but that's major work. I've decided to go all out, and drill the screen, so the wipers, motor and arms go with the screen when removed.

Other than that changed a few suspension bushes on the daily, and sorted out some alarm bits for the workshop.

Richardp

I've  reached a bit of a full stop, there isn't much I can do now until parts turn up.

Instead, I've been helping with reconstructive surgery on the trailer. As it turns out making a new frame is relatively easy. Compared to kit cars, at least. Sadly not a car trailer, but general haulage.

Sometime I might have a go at making a trailer for the car, or at least a custom fitting A frame. Though that might be tricky, since the setup of the car makes it want to go full lock, one way or the other.

Richardp

Not much progress so far, though the new struts are done. That opens up a whole world of possibilities,so far as things to do.

Other than that I've managed to drop the windscreen, and smash it :(

Richardp

Well the new struts don't actually fit :(

Richardp

Ok so I didn't get everything done that I wanted, but I did make it to Plymouth, for volksfest.

I do realise that is a bit crazy, having finished putting the car together at 4am, to then go and drive 100miles the next morning. Though thankfully it went ok, nothing major fell off, though I did loose one m6 nut, from one of the bonnet vents, and the electric radiator fan died. Nothing that caused total failure, but getting stuck in traffic wasn't going to be a good idea, at least till the fan is fixed.

I've done a total of over 400 miles over the weekend, and apart from the car being a bit too low, it settled a bit after returning to the floor.

Now I've a few things to finish off, but I think it worked out quite well.

Thanks for everyone's help and support, it made a difference.