News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Paint advice please

Started by benchmark51, 23, July, 2013, 07:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Any painters out there

I've been doing some bodywork on Ratbag recently and have reached the paint stage.
I have got Octocoat 2 pack paint in BRG.

Never used this before and on a test panel have found it to be very see 'see through'.
Although the finish is excellent, can still see through it after 1 mist coat and 2 full coats.
Also this stuff doesn't air dry (no activator) at all, test panel still soft after 2 weeks!

My questions are,  1- should I use a black base first? I did this under a mettalic red and got a good result.
                              2-  got a feeling Octocoat doesn't like cellulose primer either.

bluehornetrider

I only use water based paints but they can be very poor covering, especially reds, blues and greens.  Quite often needing anything up to 20 coats to cover the primer, but then I'm not trying to paint the whole car.  As a smart repairer.  I use a heat gun across the paint to take the water out of the paint and then it gets a couple of coats of clear laquer that needs baking off at 60c with infrared lamps for 45 mins. 

You should use the same makes primer as it will be designed to work with the paint.

paintman

Son owns Reef Paintshop in Southwick, i'll give him a bell and let you know. ;)

Tony

benchmark51

Water base is something I've yet to try, but I will give it a go.

What I've done today is spray the 2 front cycle wings.Yesterday sprayed them in a black cellulose and then wet flatted with 600 grit. Mixed paint 2:1:1 (colour:activator:thinner). 1 mist and 2 wet coats.

Apart from a little airborn s*1t and a eye lash it's looking pretty good.
Based up the rear wings and tub in black as it looks like it's the answer!
Will leave it 24 hours now and hopefully nibb out the s*1t. ;)

paintman

Phoned the son and he tells me that:

1. cellulose primer is not ideal but no problem under 2-pack if hard.
2. dark primer or under-coat not required.
3. activator is essential for 2-pack or it won't dry.....2:1, or 3:1.
4. probable reason for transparency is the ratio of thinners to paint.....should be no more than 10% thinners normally.
5. best idea is to get the Tech. Sheet which should have been supplied with the paint but will be available on-line from the manufacturer
which will give you all the information you require to get the best from their product.

Hope this helps.   Tony

benchmark51

Thanks for your help chaps :-*

I use to use gipfast60 a while back and never had any problems with it
it would air dry ok too, took longer but if time wasn't an issue or just painting small parts it was fine
Also used paint from Autopaint International, again no problems, and my local one was brill at colour matching.

Well fingers crossed, I think we have it sussed now. 1: 2k primer, 2: stick to one make materials.

I was about to go the cellulose route and work hard! Which is what kit cars are about isn't it? ;D