Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Chassis Numbers

Started by Newton, 15, February, 2014, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

Evening all,

Am in process of filling the IVA application form and am moderately confused about what I should be doing about the chassis number.  I spoke to DVLA and they weren't convincing :-\ that they really did know the answer which was I needed to present the vehicle for inspection before they'd issue a number.  IVA forms ask for chassis number and location - so should I be applying for one and if so how do I go about it.

Many thanks

Rob

Iancider

Hi Rob,

This has all changed recently.  You cannot get an IVA without a chassis number but you cannot get a chassis number without showing the chassis.  The problem is that all of the local centres have been closed so there is nobody to inspect.  It seems to be at the moment you will need to send information - photos and receipts.   All I have been able to find out is that they are meant to be 17 digits long and unique.  What I suggest you do is make a complaint to DVLA via the website - that will cause them to give you some informed advice instead of dunno - they have performance measure on asnwering complaints so that should be quick! :D  It is called the VIN number and you will need to stamp it onto the chassis and disply and embossed VIN plate as well.  I tried looking on .gov.uk but you will see from the link below that it is not definitive.  They are, I found to my cost, in complete flux at the moment since the local centres were closed and Swansea is still trying to get itself established.  Car assemblers would soon complain if there was a delay in issuing VIN numbers so it has to be only kit builders getting this issue.  Good luck - post again if you don't get anywhere and I will try to find advice from informed sources.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/kitbuilt-vehicles

Ian

Newton

Thanks Ian,

Think I've covered the same ground as you, the web site is non specific leaving plenty of space for our misinterpretation and talking to them doesn't seem to clear anything up much, we're so few and far between they don't receive our sort of questions very often.

Will try again next week.

Rob

Bulldog Bri

I was lucky and did get my chassis number issued and car inspected a little while back, so over that hump (I hope) even so I don't think the rest of the DVLA are going to be easy to deal with from now on and this to is another reason kit car building is dying out, just to much hassle. :'(

8)