News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Diff ratios

Started by peterw, 08, May, 2011, 09:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterw

Does anyone have a definative list of sierra diff ratios? ie what was fitted to what sierra etc. Am trying to find out what mine is as there is no markings on the diff or the tag. It's from an F plate 2 litre pinto manual hatch. If it's any clue,with one wheel jacked up there is 180.8 turns of the prop to 100 turns of the wheel.

Pete

paintman

Hi Pete.

We had this problem a few months ago.....if you plough through the old posts you'll get all the answers you need about ratio identification.     I had the same problem but found the only way to work it out accurately was to have both rear wheels on the ground, mark a wheel top and bottom, hang white tape down from the prop. shaft end and note how many times it revolves to one revolution of the marked wheel....mine was just over 3 1/2 revolutions which was confirmed with the identification tag on the diff. as 3.62.

Hope this helps ...... there are other ways but this worked for me.

Tony

Quarrycars

Quote from: peterw on 08, May, 2011, 09:25:56 PM
If it's any clue,with one wheel jacked up there is 180.8 turns of the prop to 100 turns of the wheel.
Pete

I think that works out to 3.616:1, probaly a 3.62 diff?

'Mendip Wurzel'

The 2.0 OHC (non EFI) Manual had a 7 inch 3.62 Ratio, the auto was 3.38.

How to Check the Differential Ratio
Jack one wheel, other wheel to be locked.
Turn wheel 2 full turns and count flange turns, ie – 3.62 turns = 3.62 ratio.
(Can do this 20 times for more accurate result)

paintman

I found it didn't work for me with one wheel off the ground....... ::)

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: peterw on 08, May, 2011, 09:25:56 PM
Does anyone have a definative list of sierra diff ratios? ie what was fitted to what sierra etc. Am trying to find out what mine is as there is no markings on the diff or the tag. It's from an F plate 2 litre pinto manual hatch. If it's any clue,with one wheel jacked up there is 180.8 turns of the prop to 100 turns of the wheel.

Pete

Presumably you must have been there most of the morning turning the wheel 100 times... LOL

peterw

Thanks for the replies, yes it did seem like i was turning for an age, needed a big mug of tea afterwards !! ;D

probablyleon

someone posted this <http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Image1sml.JPG> on the locostbuillders forum recently.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: 'Mendip Wursel' on 09, May, 2011, 08:19:46 PM
The 2.0 OHC (non EFI) Manual had a 7 inch 3.62 Ratio, the auto was 3.38.

How to Check the Differential Ratio
Jack one wheel, other wheel to be locked.
Turn wheel 2 full turns and count flange turns, ie – 3.62 turns = 3.62 ratio.
(Can do this 20 times for more accurate result)

or even 200 times for more accuracy  ;)

peterw

Yes thanks all, It appears that with one wheel off the ground the prop turns half speed .

pete