Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Track Developments Open Day and Barbecue

Started by dave_bence, 01, April, 2013, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

dave_bence

Dave from Track Developments has been in touch, to propose a date for this year's open day and barbecue. It's Saturday 25th May (the Saturday of the Spring Bank Holiday weekend).

As before, your car will be weighed on their weighing platform and the results recorded for you to take away. There will also be a basic geometry check to report that all 4 wheels are hopefully pointing in the right direction. Dave will also advise on what needs to be done to correct things which you can either do yourself or book in for him to do at a later date in his workshop.

The cost has been held at £20, which will include a quality BBQ with burgers & sausages direct from Dave's local butcher.

To make the day viable and manageable, we need between 12 to 15 attendees. If we are oversubscribed, it'll be first come, first served.

A reminder / introduction for new attendees:

Each car will be driven/pushed on to the elevated set up patch and will be weighed and the camber and tracking recorded. On one or two cars with adjustable castor that will also be recorded.

Dave will then recommend which and by how much any of the settings need to be changed.

If you wish, and with help usually available from the group, you can then carry out adjustments which are checked and fine tuned on the patch in the afternoon.

Each car takes 15 to 20 mins - more if the wheelbase is different than the previous candidate.
So for 13 cars this could be over 4 Hours - with the rechecks to follow.....

So we break up the day with the BBQ

This is a club activity so you help each other with the adjustments to all learn a bit more about the cars.
Also if you arrange cars into say 3 groups of similar wheelbase the day will move faster as it can take 5 minutes to alter the set up patch (12 x 5 mins = a whole hour of waiting around.)

Bottom line - Setup your own car and get a burger for at least a £150 discount on the full price.

At this stage we need an indication of numbers so if you intend to come along please put your name down below. As well as being an interesting and educational day, this is always a very enjoyable social event.

1, dave_bence

EDIT: Added to calendar.

Hairy Santa

robp

fullpint

Yes please, may need help to make adjustments tho  ;D
1, dave_bence
2- Hairy Santa
3- robp
4- Fullpint (Steve)

YellaBelly

benchmark51

yes please, I'm quite close to new front tyres for ratbag so a good idea.

stevel

I am up for that again, will even do a stint on the BBQ again!  Don't turn up late again Phil as those burgers are too tasty, you might miss out again.

'The Gaffer'

I'm in and fully intend to get a burger or two this time ;D.

1- dave_bence
2- Hairy Santa
3- robp
4- Fullpint (Steve)
5- YellaBelly
6- Benchmark51
7- The Gaffer
8- stevel
9 - ?

adam7

My car certain needs some attention in the setup etch, so count me in too ....

1- dave_bence
2- Hairy Santa
3- robp
4- Fullpint (Steve)
5- YellaBelly
6- Benchmark51
7- The Gaffer
8- stevel
9 - adam7

YZFMINI

Me too

1- dave_bence
2- Hairy Santa
3- robp
4- Fullpint (Steve)
5- YellaBelly
6- Benchmark51
7- The Gaffer
8- stevel
9 - adam7
10- Yzf - Mini

dave_bence

Anyone else interested?

We just need 2 more to make this event viable.

An interesting, educational and enjoyable day out, with food, for just £20 :o

You'd be daft not to ;D

alastair

I'm up for this. It's a good day to learn someyhing new about your car and how it rides.

1- dave_bence
2- Hairy Santa
3- robp
4- Fullpint (Steve)
5- YellaBelly
6- Benchmark51
7- The Gaffer
8- stevel
9 - adam7
10- Yzf - Mini
11- alastair

[/quote]

Grin-a-lot

I've not made it to one of these yet so lookin forward to this year!

1- dave_bence
2- Hairy Santa
3- robp
4- Fullpint (Steve)
5- YellaBelly
6- Benchmark51
7- The Gaffer
8- stevel
9 - adam7
10- Yzf - Mini
11- alastair
12 - Grin a Lot

Camber Dave

Thanks to Dave B for banging the drum for this year's event.

12 cars is ideal for me – it does tend to get a bit tiring towards the end.
Up to three more reserves would be viable. We haven't turned anyone away yet.
As before we welcome other members to have a look around.
Unlimited supplies of free tea, coffee and biscuits  - well till Santa arrives - then who knows..... 

The BBQ will be mainly DIY with Ben getting it started.
So if anyone would like to take charge of the cooking there is a free lunch and cornerweighting in it.

As before I will put out a few suspension based displays
If you have any questions about set up, handling, and such stuff let me know on the day and I will either answer them or baffle you with bull**it during the lunch break

Thanks for the support so far.
Dave

dave_bence

We now have enough interest to make this event viable, thanks for the support ;D

It's time for payment please.

You can pay by cheque, Paypal or even cash.

The cost is £20.00, or £20.88 if paying by PayPal to cover their fees.

Please PM me for my PayPal email address, or my postal address for cheque payments.

When paying, please include your club user name and your full name please.

I'll be on the BKCC stand (54F) at Stoneleigh on both days, if anyone wants to pay by cash or cheque there.

Jasperpilchards

Im in if there is still room for a small one?  ;D

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Jasperpilchards on 02, May, 2013, 08:28:43 AM
Im in if there is still room for a small one?  ;D

I would come along and see what happens. Dave has advised that we have enough cars but someone could easily drop out so I've added you to the reserves.

1- dave_bence
2- Hairy Santa
3- robp
4- Fullpint (Steve)
5- YellaBelly
6- Benchmark51
7- The Gaffer
8- stevel
9 - adam7
10- Yzf - Mini
11- alastair
12 - Grin a Lot

Reserves.
1 - Jasperpilchards

Jasperpilchards

dave_bence

Less than two weeks to go now. If you haven't paid yet, please do so ASAP.

Thanks for the payments so far:

1- dave_bence PAID
2- Hairy Santa PAID
3- robp PAID
4- Fullpint (Steve) PAID
5- YellaBelly PAID
6- Benchmark51
7- The Gaffer PAID
8- stevel PAID
9 - adam7 PAID
10- Yzf - Mini
11- alastair PAID
12 - Grin a Lot PAID

Reserves:

1 - Jasperpilchards

Still room for a couple more reserves

'The Gaffer'

Come on guy's get yer wallets out or you may lose your places..

benchmark51

Sorry lads, but I'm going to have to drop out of this one.

Ratbag is not going to be ready, still have lots to do and have other (work) things getting in the way.
So, call up the reserves!

Thinking of buying a castor/camber/kpi gauge, anyone have any experience of these?
Also, I may need a lend of an engine crane soon if anyone can oblige

dave_bence

OK, as Benchmark51 has dropped out, Jasperpilchards is in.

Could you pay ASAP please Jasperpilchards.

You can pay by cheque, Paypal or even cash if you're nearby - I'm in Pucklechurch.

The cost is £20.00, or £20.88 if paying by PayPal to cover their fees.

Please PM me for my PayPal email address, or my postal address for cheque payments.

When paying, please include your club user name and your full name please.

If you're not able to come, please let me know and I'll offer your place to others.

Payments so far:

1- dave_bence PAID
2- Hairy Santa PAID
3- robp PAID
4- Fullpint (Steve) PAID
5- YellaBelly PAID
6- Jasperpilchards
7- The Gaffer PAID
8- stevel PAID
9 - adam7 PAID
10- Yzf - Mini PAID
11- alastair PAID
12 - Grin a Lot PAID

Still room for a couple of reserves

fullpint

What time should we start to arrive? Forecast is looking good for Saturday and hopefully all weekend.
Looking forward to this..

Camber Dave

Hi Guys

First Corner weighting @ 9:00

Post code is SN16 0JZ Lordswood Farm (2 miles Chippenham side of Sherston Village)

From South & East
M4 J17 Chippenham/Malmesbury
North for 1 ¼ Miles Left at the Hangers/Karting Centre
Continue 4 ¼ miles
Turn left at the Post-box on a post 200yrds and Right into the Farm

Or from Bristol & West
M4 J 18 (Bath)
North  1/2 mile Then Right past the Compass Inn
Continue to Acton Turville  - Turn Right - back over the motorway towards Castle Combe.
At The Salutation Inn - Turn Left - under the motorway and follow road to Grittleton Crossroads. (school gates opposite)
Turn Left follow road for 1 1/2 miles through bends then it goes straight (Fosse Way) for 2 miles
100 yrds before end turn Left into Farm.

I will be setting up till 9:00
Early arrivers may be drafted to making coffee and setting up displays etc!

Dave

dave_bence

Thanks for the payments everyone 8)

See you all on Saturday ;D

1- dave_bence PAID
2- Hairy Santa PAID
3- robp PAID
4- Fullpint (Steve) PAID
5- YellaBelly PAID
6- Jasperpilchards PAID
7- The Gaffer PAID
8- stevel PAID
9 - adam7 PAID
10- Yzf - Mini PAID
11- alastair PAID
12 - Grin a Lot PAID

fullpint

8) What a cracking day...... Learnt a lot. Big thank to the Dave's and also the Chef Tim for feeding us all.
Looking forward to seeing a few photos.
I'm going to visit the guys at Protech to see if they can sort me out some shorter springs for the front to get my nose lower than my rear end. Guess that could be why my car feels like its going to take-off when doing 80+...

Grin-a-lot

Another satisfied customer here, lots of food, car talk and fiddling, what wasn't to like!

I've got loads of photos to upload but here's one of the group photos taken near the end of the day before too many people had to head off.

I'll add the rest when I get a chance.

stevel

Got back thoroughly enthused.  Fitted my new discs and pads thanks to Ed, brake judder gone now.  Then got the hacksaw out on the top wishbone to resolve my lack of offside camber.  Not really had chance to check it yet only a quick run to drop the daughter off.  Will update later.

Another great day and nice to see a few more faces to put against the forum names.

See you all soon.

Moleman

All you guys need to do is try it out on the track now? Llandow is a good test curcuit to try? Oh yes we got one booked at the end of June if anyone else would like to give it a go?  ;D

YellaBelly

Missed it last year, but so glad I made it this year! Learnt lots, including the fact that I am twisted, well my rear axle is :o

Apparently, when welding the brackets for the trailing arms, it is possible to warp the axle tubes, and if it's possble to guff it, I will do it :). The net result is 1 1/2 deg of toe-out at the rear :o.

After toe-in, camber and corner weights sorted, the car is so much more stable, and not as tail-happy as the rear toe-out wants to make it. So the tube mod can wait until the winter jobs,  Dave is going to sort it for me when the car goes into winter hibernation :)

So BIG thanks to Dave B for sorting the day out and for Camber Dave for sorting the car out.

A great day, lots of hands-on helping by all and some grub to boot (cheers Tim).

JB

Forgot to add this:

[smg id=1292]

Highly recommended by Dave for everything suspension.

stevel

Just had a thought........

Now I have cut the wishbone back and got some more camber on the one side, will the toe have changed??  Hindsight wonderful thing, should have cut it yesterday at Dave's and rechecked. Dohhhhh!

Grin-a-lot

Yes it will, when I wound the camber in it pushed the toe out.

On my car a whole turn of the ball joint needed an extra flat to bring the toe back in.

Hope that helps!

stevel

Cheers Darren you have confirmed my Google suspicions.  See that one morning and now you are an expert!!! :D

Grin-a-lot

Quote from: stevel on 26, May, 2013, 09:38:12 AM
...See that one morning and now you are an expert!!! :D

I wouldn't go that far!  After i'd gone back for for remeasuring Dave pointed out that the camber adjustments had pushed the toe out.  Me and Dave B spent some time making weird hand shapes trying to mimic what had happened.  The upshot is that I remember that increasing camber pushes the toe out!

Not sure i'm quite in a position to be offering full geometry set-ups though!

TimC

Hello All,

Sorry that the BBQ was more Kumho than Michelin Star.  I am contractually obliged to only serve delicious hot pies next year.

It was nice to see some familiar faces.  I'm very impressed with some of the cars.

See you all again.

Tim

'The Gaffer'

What a great day and really good to catch up with faces old and new and I'm sure I can thank Tim on behalf of us all for the great BBQ.

The day was very educational with a lot of spanner spinning and banter. The weather was spot on too.

If you haven't been to one of Dave's Track Development open day and BBQ's yet, get your name down for next year.
This is a great opportunity to learn so much more about your car and to get some settings checked and adjusted.

A good setup will transform your car's handling so why not book it into Track Developments for the full Monty. Generous rates for BKCC members.

A couple of pics of the day..

A very expensive Cosworth Duratec.

A bit of spanner spinning and banter

An education

A few members cars

adam7

What an excellent day. Would highly recommend. Dave obviously knows his stuff and is more than happy to explain and demonstrate with the working miniature setups. throw in some sunshine, good banter, and few hot dogs.... A perfect day out.

Thanks everyone who made this happen!

robp

Great to see everyone yesterday.  Lovely weather for it too.  As usual, great work from Dave.

Rumour has it though that there was more talk about beards than suspension when the Cobra was in the shop!  :P

Grin-a-lot

It was a great day and a nice mix of cars - the 2 mini's are looking and sounding great as well.  Thanks again to Tim and Dave for doing a great job looking after us.  Some photos below.

Moleman

Nice pictures guys.  :D
It would be nice to have the same at Dyram Park if anyone else is up for it?  :)