+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

UPCOMING TRACK DAYS

Started by smudge, 27, May, 2014, 08:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smudge

Firstly, a big hello to everyone at BKCC!!

Well I'm new to all of this, I bought my first kit car about 2 months ago, deciding to treat myself rather than everyone else in my family for a change.  I've had a couple of issues with "Bumble" as he is now known by the family, which are now resolved - fingers crossed  ;D

I'm interested in doing a couple of track days to get used to what the car can do, and I think it would be a good idea as I want some practice before the Prescott Revival in August.  I've had a look on a couple of web-sites but it looks to me like I might be a bit late in getting anything booked in time now  :(

So what I'm asking from you guys is:

1.  Are there any fairly local track days coming up where you know there are still spaces left?

2.  Any recommendations for track day insurance?  My policy doesn't include it and Adrian Flux quoted between £60-150 per track day depending on the track!!  This came as quite a shock as my years policy was only £180!!

3.  Does anyone know if there is a chance to do a "test run" at the Prescott Revival hill climb, before your 2 timed runs?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated  :D

Cheers, Smudge

Moleman

Hi smudge welcome to the club. What is bubble?  How about putting a few pictures up so we can see. :)
It is normally cheaper to go for a insurance policy where you get a certain amount of track days in with it if you intend to do a few over the year. I use competition car insurance which are really good. They might be worth a try for one off as I guess you have already got a policy sorted now.
As far as booking track days you can do it all year round. You just missed 2 good one where club members attend which is a shame.   I can't say which tracks local to you are good as you haven't said what area you are from as our members are quite spread out & not just from Bristol. I can say however that there are plenty of us that do 1 a month & you are welcome to join us & we will show you the ropes on how to get the best out of a track day.  8)
As for Prescott l haven't done that one yet so I cant help you there. :D

Bulldog Bri

Welcome to the club from me to. :)
As Colin said feel free to tell us a bit more about your car, what you got and post some pics up. Maybe you'll get along to some club meets as well.

8)

smudge

Hi there, thank you both - I will try and get some photos on here for you to see, once I've worked it all out!!

In the meantime, I'll post a couple of links to what Bumble is below.  In brief, it's an Aeon GT3 Spyder, built by Justin Yates in 2008, if you type Aeon GT3 Spyder into Google it comes up with plenty of information and history on the car I've bought, it seems to be pretty well known, at least by Aeon fans anyway!  It featured on the front cover of Complete Kit Car magazine in July 2008.

A few pics when new (got a few battle scars now)  :o
http://www.supercars.net/cars/4216.html

Getting some "air" on a track day at Cadwell Park  ;D

3rd to 5th gear acceleration on a test track in Norway  ;)

Yep, I've already got my insurance cover so need track day cover separately.  When I got quotes the companies I spoke to told me they didn't include track day cover so thanks for the tip for next year, I intend to be doing alot more as I should be sorted by then!!

If you can let me know where and when BKCC members are doing the next couple of track days I'd appreciate it as it will be more interesting than just doing on my own!  I can try and get booked in and you can show me the ropes.  I've done a couple of experience days in the past, but this was not in my own car, Ferrari and Aston - I wish!!

I am going to try to come to a few meets, time permitting, wife, three kids, own business etc, etc  :'(
I'm located in the Forest of Dean, just over the bridge, about ten miles from Chepstow.

Oh, and why Bumble?  Well, it's just the colour combination of yellow and black, and the sound of the engine popping and banging - simple really  :D

Cheers, Smudge

Moleman

Can't go wrong with yellow & black.  8) Mine has a hornet on the back of my westy.
I'm hoping to be doing one in june which may be Pembry on the 21st but not sure yet. Keep an eye on here & I will let you know.  8)

'The Gaffer'

Hi smudge and a warm welcome to our club.

Nice car you have there, looks pretty quick 8)

Good entry into track days are airfield days, these tend to be a little safer than regular tracks as they usually have a great deal of run-off and no armco to hit if you have a mis-hap. We just did a good one at Abingdon airfield that was enjoyed by all. Perhaps another day may be booked there if there is enough interest. If we get enough the organisers through in some tuition too.

Iancider

Welcome Smudge

Love the car.  Its a shame Saturday before last we were at Llandow having a great time mixing top-guns with rookies and top-fuel racing machines with Postman Pat (no I'm not joking) but if you have a look at CKC/OMEX I am sure you will find the vids interesting.  There will be more and you will find other participants and supporters.  I look forward to meeting you.

Regards
Ian

garry h

Hi Smudge welcome to the club nice looking car  :) :)

Lucky Ed

Hi Smudge and welcome to the Madhouse :o

Nice car - looks pretty quick to me. I too am looking to do a trackday in June, will post up as soon as I've got any ideas, you'll be more than welcome to come along. As the Gaffer says, an airfield day is a good place to start, they are fairly basic days but good for a bit of a shakedown without too much risk. Motorsport Events run these days well, and often do days at Hullavington and Keevil, which are fairly local to us.

Look forward to meeting up at some point 8)

smudge

Thanks all for taking the time to respond, and thank you for the warm welcome.

I'll keep an eye out for any of you posting about track days you're going to and will try and join you if I can.  If any of you have any advice about single day track insurance I'd appreciate it, as I can see me getting ripped off  :-[

Thanks also for the comments about Bumble, it's been a bit of a baptism of fire for me as I've only ever owned the dreaded diesels, due to work etc.  I figured after 25 years it was time to treat myself!  I originally was looking for a Westfield/Caterham style but when the Aeon came up it caught my eye.  As I researched it I felt myself being drawn to it, so I guess it was fate really  :D

Unusually for me I managed to get to view the car first and I fell in love straight away, I couldn't leave it there!  As I'd missed out on a 2010 Sylva Riot SE myself previously, so I just went for it, blowing the budget (by almost double) in the meantime.  Now it just feels like part of me and I know I will have trouble in the future should I ever come to sell  :'(

I'm keen to get in on the track day side as it would be a shame to waste such an epic car.

By the way, I just drive and I appreciate great cars, I don't have a mechanical bone in my body  :(
I admire any of you that have the skills to do so!!

Moleman

It's a shame the new track they are building just over the bridge in Whales has not been done yet as it's said to be better than Silverstone & not far from the pair of us.  ;)

Iancider

Smudge,

Don't worry, you have made a good start.  What I like about kit cars is that everything is do-able - no special tools, simple builds and good access to everything.  And if you don't know you now know people who do and we will help.  Example:  Kit Car - engine out, 2 hours, My tin-top - change headlight bulb - 4 hours. 

I'm a trackday rookie and have been taught by our experts.  Lucky Ed and Moleman proved to me I need Slicks - even soft road tyres are not up to the job.  Its the difference between controlling the slide and feeling the G forces. Crudely its the difference between BRAKE and BREAK!

Enjoy