News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Castle Combe trackday - 26th July

Started by robp, 27, July, 2013, 01:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robp

I took the Westfield to Castle Combe yesterday.  The day was an open pitlane event organised by Apex. 

When I got there in the morning the track was covered with thick fog.  However, once we had been through the usual preparations (registration, track briefing, sound check, blah, blah) the fog had gone and it was time to have some fun.  I got the slicks on the car
and off we went. 

Once the tyres were up to temperature, the Westfield was flying.  The brakes felt great and I could really stand on them.  I was happy with most of the track but just could get the car through the Bobbies chicane effectively.  Also, with a passenger, the car grounded out in the dip on the exit.

The day when well with only one major delay when someone's car dropped oil all the way up the hill from Folly right up passed Avon Rise.  It took the marshals a while to clean up and there were a fair amount of cement dusk clouds once the cars were allowed back on the circuit.  Fortunately, after about 10 minutes it was fine.

Moleman was there too and I took him out for a passenger ride.  All was going well until I hit the rev limiter in 4th approaching Tower.  The engine coughed and lost all power.  We managed to coast to the relative safety of the tyre wall at the Bobbies chicane.  I was expecting the session to be red flagged so they could send out the recovery truck.  Nope.  Everyone kept flying passed us.  We decided to get out of the car and wait by the armco barrier.  Just as well, as someone overshot the chicane and came through the zig-zag and just missed the Westfield.  Anyway, after waiting 10 minutes, we had to phone someone in the pits and ask them to red flag the session.  It worked and we were soon rescued.

Back in pits, I had a chance to have a look at the car.  Nothing serious thankfully.  It was the inertia switch on the fuel pump supply.  It must have tripped when I hit the limiter.  I just pressed the reset button and we were away.  Seems a bit crap so I think it needs to be either removed or moved to under the dash so I can reset it from the driver's seat.

I took the Westy out on the track again on my own this time and it was fine.  That Moleman is jinxed!  :P :D :D

Moleman

What can I say? everyone else was ok after taking me out!  :P
Must be me & westy's are a bad combination!  :P

You was going really well too mate. It was a good day. Apex do a good trackday with open pit & limited number of cars.
Thanks for the ride.  :D