+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My MX 5

Started by Camber Dave, 12, May, 2014, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camber Dave

As some of you know I co-own the Sylva Leader project and am building a Haynes (locost) 7 project. By the way the Haynes could be for sale or finished for the buyer. For both I have been getting MX5 parts off eBay.

My 'new' car is a £400 MX5 donor car. It is just too good to break yet. I got it Mot'ed went to get some petrol and found the clutch was shot. Another £100 and couple of days on the lift.
I concur with those who are reluctant to go to far from home until the thing  proves reliable, but O/K so far.

Obviously I will do a few track days later but need to change the cam belt and remove the Air con etc. and add a roll hoop.
I also want to do a Hillclimb school but Prescott is booked up a year in advance! I will also try Gurston Down when the car is ready.
I did hill climbs in a Lotus 7 back in the '80's

It came with broken springs so I replaced the rears with lowered uprated ones on existing adjustable dampers. These will be changed to Protech after some track experience. On the front I bought Protech double (bump and rebound) adjustable's  and calculated my own spec lowered springs.
With this, I am able up to demonstrate damper effects and adjustment. 
If anyone would like to drive it or have a demo and explanation before getting your own new springs / dampers get in touch.
The power (all of 115 bhp) is just about O/K for the road but probable insufficient on the track for a 970K car. I do have a new cam to put in it later.
So the hairdressers runaround is now a drivers car.

I also bought a Data logger at Stoneleigh and once it starts talking to my computer I will be getting data from the MX5 and looking for quicker (Colin, Lucky Ed?) track day'ists to let me gather data for comparison.

Later I am hoping to be able to offer a data acquisition and analysis service for road and track cars.

Lucky Ed

It would be great to see you on track with the MX5, it did look too good to break up so it would be good to have some fun with it first.

I'd be more than happy to help to out with any projects you've got on the go, and I need to see you later in the year anyway to sort out some ARB's and dampers. Having said that I had a lesson at Combe today and the instructor was impressed with your set up as it is ;D

Moleman

Well hopefully you might be able to make it to Llandow this Saturday with the MX 5 mate.  :D

Like Ed I to would be willing to help you out with your Data Gathering Dave. You know I'm at Llandow this Saturday & I will keep you posted on any of the others that I book.  8)

Iancider

Dave,

It would be good to see you there.  I gained a lot of data from Ed today at the Combe and learnt how to "brace and clench"  ;D

Regards
Ian