News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

weber carb tuning

Started by dikkie, 28, June, 2011, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dikkie

Hi guys,

I've tried to service and tune my twin weber 45 carbs myself. It's gone well as far as tuning - it's now idling smoothly and quietly and there's less vibrations when going but (there's always a but)...

Now when I turn the engine off I'm getting a fuel dripping slowly into the auxillary venturis :'(

I've ruled out the needle sticking or not making a good seal by trying to blow into the carb when it's full. Plenty of time spent googling has made me thing it's the floats not being adjusted correctly, meaning the fuel level is too high and it's leaking out all the time, I'm just only noticing it when it's off. I've tried adjusting them - they are now a few mil lower than the recommended setting and it's still happening!

I'm about to admit that it's got me beat and take it to a garage but before I do I thought I'd check on here: Are there any carb experts out there who could point out the error in my ways,?in exchange for (lots of) beer of course!

stevel

Are you using a filter regulator, generally they do not like anythng above 3 psi and even when pump is not running there will be residual pressure.  A filter king is the ideal solution, just google it.  there is also a good forum called Dave sideways with lots of info on Weber and dellorto set up.

Good luck.

dikkie

Hi Stevel,

thanks for the reply, yes we have a pressure regulator and hadn't thought about that, although it would tally - there was a  lot of pressure when I disconnected the fuel hose without running the carbs dry (made quite a mess :S).

I'll check the pressure it's putting out.

Cheers

foggy

I recently had my Webbers set up, the boys at F.C.M made  a big difference to my fuel consumption,they gave me sosme very good advice and done their best. If you get stuck, talk to them.

dikkie

Turns out the problem was the accelerator pump jet washers had perished, they're alloy and should be part of the service kit, unfortunately there were not.

On the bright side - it's always nice when the fix is just a couple of quid off ebay!