AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

BKCC Bargains

Author Topic: Another Triumph Spitfire  (Read 58920 times)

Offline robp

• Club Supporter
  • Westfield Duratec
Another Triumph Spitfire
« on: 13, November, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
I have just got hold of an old Spitfire.  I briefly mentioned in Bluehornetrider's Spitfire thread but I thought I'd better start a new one. 

Picked it up from Cornwall last week and had quite a journey home through blue skies, heavy rain, hail and snow.  The hood on the car is quite old and doesn't fit very well.  Consequently the interior was soaked by the time I got back to Bristol.

Next job was to get it in the garage.
« Last Edit: 05, March, 2013, 03:54:59 PM by robp »

Bristol Kit Car Club and Forum - BKCC

Another Triumph Spitfire
« on: 13, November, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »

Offline robp

• Club Supporter
  • Westfield Duratec
Re: Another Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: 13, November, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
Finally in the garage.

The garage is located in a lane behind the houses.  Getting the trailer on to the lane was difficult enough.  Getting the car off the trailer and into the garage was even worse.  I had to use the Westfield to tow the trailer sideways, push the Spitfire into the garage and then pull the trailer straight again.  All done now but suddenly my garage is full up.

Offline robp

• Club Supporter
  • Westfield Duratec
« Reply #2 on: 13, November, 2012, 05:52:54 PM »
OK, managed to have a closer look at the car.

Good news:  Chassis, sills, floor and backend are solid.
Bad: Front wings, door skins need replacing.  A pillars are solid but need some attention.  Engine tired.  Rear brakes seized.  Bash with a lump hammer won't free off one of them which made moving the car a right pain.

The starter was spinning over but not turning the engine.  Took it off and cleaned up the inertia mechanism and engine was turning over, slowly.  Got sparks.  Put a fat battery on it but engine not turning over any faster.  I wonder if the starter motor is tired.  May ask if someone has a spare to try before I fork out on a replacement unit.

No fuel getting through anyway.  Plus the fuel in the tank is years old.

Decided to stop mucking about and get on with a plan to get the car ready for the Spring.  Initially I wanted to tackle the bodywork.  However, I decided to get the oily bits sorted first.  Engine compartment ain't pretty.  First thing, carbs.
« Last Edit: 14, November, 2012, 02:35:02 PM by robp »

Offline fullpint

• Club Supporter
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: 13, November, 2012, 05:54:30 PM »
Sounds like it was a task and a half mate..Still good to see its in the garage.. Liking those twin pipes coming out from underneath  8)

Offline Grin-a-lot

• Club Supporter
« Reply #4 on: 13, November, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
Are you training to be like Hairy Santa and BulldogBri?  Perhaps you should change your name to BulldogSanta?

Looks like a great project though, when you get your hotrod you'll have a properly full garage!

Offline Moleman

• Fanatical Member
  • Westfield Duratec
« Reply #5 on: 13, November, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Hope it goes nice & smoothly for you mate. I mean Bulldogsanta.  ;D :P ;D :P

Offline Hairy Santa

• Spectre R42 - Dax Rush Busa Turbo - Daytona Le Mans Coupe (Cobra) - FatBoy Harley -NightTrain Harley - Push Bike !
  • Club Supporter
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: 13, November, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
OK, managed to have a closer look at the car.

Good news:  Chassis, sills, floor and backend are solid.
Bad: Front wings, door skins need replacing.  A pillars are solid but need some attention.  Engine tired.  Rear brakes seized.  Bash with a hammer won't free off one of them which made moving the car a right pain.

The starter was spinning over but not turing the engine.  Took it off and cleaned up the inertia mechanism and engine was turning over, slowly.  Got sparks.  Put a fat battery on it but engine not turning over any faster.  I wonder if the start is tired.  May ask if someone has a spare to try before I fork out on a replacement unit.

No fuel getting through anyway.  Plus the fuel in the tank is years old.

Decided to stop mucking about and get on with a plan to get the car ready for the Spring.  Initially I wanted to tackle the bodywork.  However, I decided to get the oily bits sorted first.  Engine compartment ain't pretty.  First thing, carbs.

Your my Hero Rob

Offline Daley Down Under

• Club Supporter
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: 13, November, 2012, 08:26:31 PM »
Rob,

Like it - very different types of open top motoring.  Good project for the Winter.

Adrian

Offline YellaBelly

• Club Supporter
  • Superhero Member
  • Scratch-built 'McSorley 442' Locost - now sold :(
« Reply #8 on: 13, November, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
Another good project there chap :D

I'm after a Triumph too, but a Stag ;)

trouble is, I ain't no money magnet :(

Offline robp

• Club Supporter
  • Westfield Duratec
« Reply #9 on: 13, November, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
Had the carbs off and cleaned up (they were filthy!).  Look at lot better now.  Before and after photo to follow  ;)

Anyone know about SU carbs?  These are 1 1/2" HS4.  The fuel line that joins the bottom of the float chamber to the main jet tube has come loose (at the jet end).  I guess that means a new main jet tube.  Mine has the Waxstat type of jet that was used after 1976.  It has a thermostat installed at the bottom, which moves the jet up or down depending on the outside temperature.  Fixed jet to the left, waxstat jet to the right:

It's been years since I've played with carbs.  All laptops and injection systems nowadays. :D

Offline bluehornetrider

• 1973 Triumph Sptifire MkIV, 1987 Porsche 928 s4, 2014 VW t5, '09 Pug 3008
  • Club Supporter
« Reply #10 on: 13, November, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »
Your spit has lots of bits I'd like for mine, like the twin pipes.   :P
All the spit forums suggest replacing the unreliable wax stats on the carbs.   I have the same twin su's in mine. 
I'm stripping the engine at the moment so have only cleaned the exterior of the carbs and the pots. 
I need all new fuel and breather pipe connections as the originals have gone missing. 
I have a few spare starter motors but don't know which ones are good and which need scrapping.  I have seen new ones on eBay for around £60.

Offline 'The Gaffer'

• Club Supporter
  • Administrator
  • Superlative Member
  • Kit Car Now Sold
« Reply #11 on: 14, November, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »
Nice updates Rob, keep the pics coming 8)

Offline robp

• Club Supporter
  • Westfield Duratec
« Reply #12 on: 14, November, 2012, 02:17:07 PM »
All the spit forums suggest replacing the unreliable wax stats on the carbs.   I have the same twin su's in mine. 
Yes, I'll probably replace the waxstat part with a couple of 1p coins. However one of the jet tubes is knackered so many have to buy replacements anyway.

I have a few spare starter motors but don't know which ones are good and which need scrapping.
Thanks.  I've kicked off on the engine now so it'll be a while before I attempt another start.  Carbs stripped and cleaned.  Rocker shaft off, dismantled, cleaned.  Number of parts starting to build up on the bench.  Hopefully I'll have the head off and stripped over the next week.  I used to have a valve lapper which fitted to an electric drill.  Searched high and low for it last night.  Looks like it's going to be the wooden slick with suction cup and some elbow grease.

Once the head is off I'll have to decide to tackle the bottom end or leave it until next winter.  Can't be that difficult? http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=2145.0;topicseen

I'm making good progress at the moment.  Not sure how long it'll last.  I just have the odd hour or 30 minutes here and there.  Got to keep SWMBO happy.  I've told her the car is for her to use next summer and I've got to make sure it's running well for her and looking good!  ;)

Offline Bulldog Bri

• Club Supporter
  • Mega Member
  • Pilgrim Bulldog & Locost7
« Reply #13 on: 14, November, 2012, 03:46:33 PM »
I'm Guilty of using a drill to grind in the valves by fitting the drill directly on the end of the valve allowing for a small amount of in and out movement and then spinning it and just adding small amounts of grinding paste while its turning, I got so fed up with the suction stick keep falling off.  >:(

8)

Offline robp

• Club Supporter
  • Westfield Duratec
« Reply #14 on: 22, November, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »
Gradually making progress on the car.  I've got the manifolds off and cleaned up.  The exhaust and inlet manifolds are bolted together but unfortunately one connection has sheered off but I doubt this affect anything too much.  Water pump, pump housing and thermostat cover off.  Not a pretty sight inside.  Started cleaning all the crap off both inside and out.  I'm going to need a new pipe from the pump to the heater as the old one just fell apart.

Got a delivery of a few new parts.  On is a fixed jet kit for the carbs to replace my knackered waxstats so I can finally reassemble the carbs.  Getting quite a pile of bits on the bench in the garage now so I'm keen to sort stuff out as it comes off the car before removing anything else.  The cylinder head is ready to come off but I'll probably wait until I've had the radiator (and surrounds) off and inspected.  Really enjoying the rebuild so far and lookig forward to when everything starts coming back together again (whenever that is!)

Black brush on paint will be fine for the block.. ;)
The spray paint is a mixture of high temp paint and ceramic engine paint, I got one from halfords and the other from my local motor supplier.

I've got to paint head, block, water pump housing, timing cover, etc.  What do you guys think I should use?  Engine paint?, 'Black brush on paint'?  Excuse my ignorance. Any advice?

Bristol Kit Car Club and Forum - BKCC

« Reply #14 on: 22, November, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »