News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Lightbulb moment

Started by Iancider, 02, December, 2013, 09:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

Hi All,

I thought I would share this with you by way of a warning.  As in the old saying goes "How many people does it take to change a lightbulb?".  The answer is one but it does take him 4 hours! ???

So if you dont like that thought don't buy a Honda Accord!  Stats:  14 fixings topside, 8 fixings lower side, 3 screws each side, 3 fixings per headlamp, 12 connectors to remove, 2 pesky wire clips, a rag to wipe the blood off my arm and four hours of my life lost to this pointlessness.  Oh and for good measure do all of that in reverse to really enhance the experience!!!  >:( >:( >:(.     

Now I guess, with practice, a main dealer could do that in about an hour and a half.  At £86 per hour plus a Honda bulb at £30 and  + vat that could have been a £160+ light bulb moment :o

Who designed that then???  You wouldn't build a kit car like that!  ;)

Okay rant over I feel much better now
Ian

'The Gaffer'

I think I would have changed them both at the same time :P

Bulldog Bri

That's just Nuts :o (and a few screws, wires etc.)

8)

robp

Oh dear.  :(

We have a Honda Accord and one of the headlight bulbs has just blown.  I was going to swap the bulb over tonight.  Looks like I may need to put a few hours aside this weekend.  :(

fullpint

A lot of modern cars are like that now... Even my old Stilo!! Inner wing and bumper off to replace a bulb  :o :o :o :o I did manage to do it with out all that but ended up with a few cuts on my hands/fingers/knuckles  :(

Iancider

Rob,

It is possible to change the main-beams without full dismatling but you will have to dislocate some bones in your hand and bleed a little in the process.  The left hand dip is tougher and some reconstructive surgery is likely but the righthand dip is just impossible.  And for Phil's comfort I changed them all - cos when one blows they all blow!

Use two pots - one for the nuts and bolts - the other for any bits of you that fall-off :D ;)

Good luck
Ian

bluehornetrider

Found the same with my Peugeot, I need to change the £38 daylight running lamps but one lamp holder won't come out. I either need to remove the whole light assembly or run without drl's, as they make the front indicators hard to see, cost too much and arn't an mot point they are being left!

CompoSimmonite

To change a front bulb on my Smart Fortwo (54 reg / 450 version) the whole front bodywork has to be removed for access.

Paul H

Sumov8

You cant beat a ford, one clip a rubber seal and hey  presto lights!! ;)

robp

Quote from: Iancider on 03, December, 2013, 10:02:39 PM
Rob,

It is possible to change the main-beams without full dismatling but you will have to dislocate some bones in your hand and bleed a little in the process.  The left hand dip is tougher and some reconstructive surgery is likely but the righthand dip is just impossible.  And for Phil's comfort I changed them all - cos when one blows they all blow!

Use two pots - one for the nuts and bolts - the other for any bits of you that fall-off :D ;)

Good luck
Ian

Finally got around to doing this job on our Accord.  Only 4 months with one headlight.  :-[ :-[ :-[   Thankfully, I managed to squeeze through and get to the bulb without having to strip down the front of the car.  Phew!

robp

While I was in the mood to work on tintops, I decided it was finally time to change the rear brake pads on our Passat. 

Now, most cars make do perfectly well with a handbrake operated with a cable.  However, the Passat has electric motors to operate the parking brake.  You need a laptop (with some software) to put the rear calipers in maintenance mode.  Fine, except the screen on my laptop is knackered.  I had to sit in the car with the laptop and set another screen up on the passenger seat and cables everywhere. 

All went well.  Changed the pads and put the calipers back to normal.  But then there was beeping and then the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.   :( >:(

To cut a long story short, after a load of mucking about, it is sorted now.  But, I ask the question, what is wrong with a cable, VW!?

benchmark51

Way of the world now. Cars that turn on the wipers,lights automatically. Dual mass clucthes. Toilets with automatic arse wipers!

Moleman