News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Cracked bell housing advice

Started by dikkie, 23, February, 2011, 10:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dikkie

I have found a small (2 inch) crack in my ford type 9 bellhousing by the starter motor (I believe caused by the starter working its way loose).
The car starts and drives fine but I'd like to get it sorted before it gets any worst, my good friend google seems to think it can be welded without too much hassle, I have two questions:

1. Will I need to drop the gearbox and bell housing out to weld from both sides or can this be done from the outside only?
2. Can anyone recommend a good garage to get the welding done in the bristol/bath area?

Cheers guys

Denzle

For a proper job you need to take out the box and take off the bell housing, so the welder can turn it easily   ;)

On the other hand if its easy to get too, its possible it could be welded in place.  As its only 2" long.

As Im not from Bristol, so I cant say where you can get it done.   There must be someone in the city who welds ally.   :)

'The Gaffer'

We do have an ally welder in the club, maybe he may see this and be able to help.

I would imagine it would be easier to clean and weld off the car. Then again, it might be possible.