+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Where to buy and should I rebuild ?

Started by Furore Phil, 15, November, 2009, 06:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furore Phil

In the past I've bought bit n' pieces from Halfords, but they can be expensive.

Where's the best place to buy all the little bit's you need ? more specifically all the seals, gaskets, rubber bits etc for the brakes and engine ?

Should I continue to use Halfords or go to my local garage, or a specalist parts place ? You don't usually see these little bits on ebay.

Secondly - Should I rebuild the engine from my donor, or fit it as is ? (Toyota MR2 mk1).

I've never stripped an engine, but have read loads from the mags etc. Is it something a novice should consider ?

YellaBelly

Hey Phil,

I use Camberley autos in Chippenham sometimes, seem good prices and quite helpful. There are one or two in Swindon I've used. You can get gaskets etc on eBay if you look, but be sure of the part number (or the engine model etc).

As for stripping the engine, I travel a fair bit with work but if you get in a pickle I may be able to find time to pop over and give you some advice/help.

Best way to attack it is S-l-o-w-l-y. Make sure you take piccies before you strip stuff down it makes it much easire when you come to re-assemble. With things like bearings, seals etc make sure you know which way round they go. For valves etc keep a note of which ones go where (i.e. inlet/exhaust, cylinder 1,2 etc).

Also makes life easier if you spend a little time cleaning the engine before you start the strip, saves getting too much crud in the internals.

If you have any specific questions, please drop me a message on here or email me (johnb750@hotmail.com)

HTH

JB

Furore Phil

Thanks for that,

Think I'll get an engine stand and do it the slow way you suggest.

The engine is still in the donor and is very difficult to get at - I may try and get it out intact with as much on it as possible, so I can take loads of photos (digital cameras are fab !).

Hmm - new angle grinder for christmas, think I'll saw off the engine bay ! (better watch the petrol tank though).

I'll check out Camberly - Chippenham isnt too far away.

Thanks for the offer of advice and help, I'll hold you too it in a few months !

Phil (G & Toniq) - What about a "links" section ? for suppliers etc ?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Phil on 15, November, 2009, 08:29:12 PM
Phil (G & Toniq) - What about a "links" section ? for suppliers etc ?

Hi Phil, there already is a links section here http://bristolkitcarclub.co.uk/smf2/index.php?topic=82.0

There are a few suppliers there already that have been helpful to me, so if you find any you want to add, let me know.

Did the engine run ok, any smoke, funny noises? If not why bother rebuilding?
Just a good service, coolant system flush and a change of oil.

Furore Phil

It seemed to run ok, a little rough and spluttery, but no smoke. Could have been due to being left to rot for a year or so !

Didn't drive it much, just off the trailer and a three point turn. One of the front wheels was flat which didn't help.

Definately need to do something with the brakes, the rubbers have perished and the pads look suss.

When I get the engine out I'll have a look to see if there is any bad corrosion or damadge, and decide then. I guess it won't be too difficult to leave all the bits attached, stick in some oil and try it without the coolant.

Must have missed th elinks bit ! - I'll stick in a few of the ones I use